PDA

View Full Version : Some lessons you just have to learn over and over

MightyThor
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Some friends dropped by the other day, they are new shooters and had just come from the shooting range. Even though they do not reload, they had picked up all the brass and wanted to talk about how to get started reloading. While I was showing them the various steps we dumped a coffee can full of brass in the tumbler while the melting pot started to warm up. We also started to swage some 22's. We let the tumbler run about an hour while I ran through the various steps of bullet making and reloading. Then I went to show them how nice the brass would clean up.

I seem to need a sign to remind me not to run mixed brass in the tumbler. [smilie=b:

Is there a record for the most cases nested into one-another? My friends had been shooting 40 and 45 and the 9s and 380 from other shooters were there too. Still, free brass is impossible to beat :D

deltaenterprizes
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Those caliber cases nest together just mixing them in the same container, the tumbler made it worse! LOL

mold maker
04-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Yep. The tumbler drove little wedges into what space there was between them.
You not the first, nor the last.

ReloaderFred
04-26-2011, 02:41 PM
You can minimize the nesting problem by putting the larger cases in the tumbler first and letting them fill with media. After a minute or so, then add the smaller cases. It makes a big difference, though I do tumble most calibers by themselves, since I'm doing large batches.

Hope this helps.

Fred

randmplumbingllc
04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Some friends dropped by the other day, they are new shooters and had just come from the shooting range. Even though they do not reload, they had picked up all the brass and wanted to talk about how to get started reloading. While I was showing them the various steps we dumped a coffee can full of brass in the tumbler while the melting pot started to warm up. We also started to swage some 22's. We let the tumbler run about an hour while I ran through the various steps of bullet making and reloading. Then I went to show them how nice the brass would clean up.

I seem to need a sign to remind me not to run mixed brass in the tumbler. [smilie=b:

Is there a record for the most cases nested into one-another? My friends had been shooting 40 and 45 and the 9s and 380 from other shooters were there too. Still, free brass is impossible to beat :D

Been there, done that .....several times myself. Worst part, is that none of it is clean.....so sort and tumble AGAIN !

RP
05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I got some brass sorters I keep right with my tumbler to keep me from doing that. Thats my sign I guess I dump them in and shake but still seem to get a case in a case from time to time. Part of the game I guess.

nicholst55
05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Lyman sells small mesh bags that you can separate your mixed caliber brass in. They eliminate nesting, but they're a pain to clean out; just putting them in the Dillon 'squirrel cage' and spinning it does NOT empty all the media out!