PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen or used these sights ?

blaser.306
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Long story ! Another member here wanted to try silywet shooting and I consented to sell him my 10" 7mm tcu bbl . I wanted to step up to a 14" and found one here in Canada for the same price plus shipping . Anyway the bbl arrived and as it turned out it was a un-fired (marked as ) 7mm tcu and it wound up being a 7mm rimmed international ! I beleive it to be one of the originals made by TC for IMSA . It arrived wearing these sights and I have never seen this type on a contender before . The rear sight has 4 different sizes of aperatures (slots ) and the front has a set screw that allows the front blade to be rotated also with 4 different ( post ) sizes . Any info would be appreciated !

canyon-ghost
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Looks like early long distance sights. The only difference in the rear sight is the large thumb wheel adjustment. Four different aperatures tells you it adjusts for distance.

I think they may be a TC offering. I have a vent rib barrel that you turn a screw on the front sight and the blade moves up and down! Lots of custom sight features on the early TCs and especially the unlimited calibers.

And, oh yeah, good score! Like to have that setup myself. Must make 300 yards with open sights.

44man
04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Long story ! Another member here wanted to try silywet shooting and I consented to sell him my 10" 7mm tcu bbl . I wanted to step up to a 14" and found one here in Canada for the same price plus shipping . Anyway the bbl arrived and as it turned out it was a un-fired (marked as ) 7mm tcu and it wound up being a 7mm rimmed international ! I beleive it to be one of the originals made by TC for IMSA . It arrived wearing these sights and I have never seen this type on a contender before . The rear sight has 4 different sizes of aperatures (slots ) and the front has a set screw that allows the front blade to be rotated also with 4 different ( post ) sizes . Any info would be appreciated !
Yes, they were junk and I sent mine back to TC. They would not refund the money but I got some nice stuff in exchange. They admitted problems.

stubshaft
04-25-2011, 11:08 PM
They were specifically designed to shoot silhouette. There were some issues with them and the ones that I had just weren't my cup of tea. Sold them off and got Bomars. For general shooting and hunting they will work well for you. The problems arose due to the constant sight changes a silhouette shooter uses. Rotate the rear aperture to the desired width you want and do the same to the front sight. Once you have the desired sight picture you want just use the thumbwheel for elevation and the windage screw to sight in.

Uncle R.
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
At a time in the early 80s Elgin Gates was rechambering pistols in 7mm Int-R and offering them for sale in The Silhouette which was IHMSA's newsletter. I wonder if this barrel was rechambered by someone other than TC - which would explain the marking not matching the chamber.
Uncle R.

stubshaft
04-26-2011, 01:04 AM
At a time in the early 80s Elgin Gates was rechambering pistols in 7mm Int-R and offering them for sale in The Silhouette which was IHMSA's newsletter. I wonder if this barrel was rechambered by someone other than TC - which would explain the marking not matching the chamber.
Uncle R.

IIRC - T/C never offered this caliber. They were rechambered by IHMSA or Bellm.

cbrick
04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
The sights were an early attempt by T/C at improving the original T/C sights which left a great deal to be desired. In the early days of IHMSA the rule book forbade any sights on a Production gun except factory originals, if you were shooting a T/C you were stuck with the cr*ppy T/C sights. The original sights while fairly repeatable were exceptionaly coarse. If you were sighted in under the 200 meter ram and went up 1 click you were over the ram. This rule led to a big increase in sales of guns such as the RPM XL which put ISGW or Bo-Mar rear sights (mostly ISGW as Jim Rock bought ownership of ISGW) on at the factory, in effect what the competitors were doing was buying an $800.00 rear sight.

The sight on your barrel while while a decent idea turned out to be worse than the original coarse sights by virtue of being very poorly made, even less repeatable and nearly as coarse.

The barrel was most likely re-chambered by Elgin Gates, don't know who did this for him, could have been Mike Bellm as he also was re-chambering 7 TCU barrels, still does.

The caliber is a valid wildcat, capable of good accuracy with a wide variety of loads and bullets.

Hope this helps.

Rick

blaser.306
05-16-2011, 08:01 AM
I finnaly had a chance to do a little work with these sights ! Work meaning getting it on paper ! @ 50 meters I had to raise the rear sight 60 ( yes ) 60 clicks as it was shooting 24" low from point of aim ? I will have to load up some more " fire forming loads " and get some rough settings before I shoot my ladder test loads . I am running out of time though as our first match is this coming sunday ! I also contacted TC about these sights and they outright denied having ever made / used anything other than the run of the mill factory ones .

9.3X62AL
05-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I also contacted TC about these sights and they outright denied having ever made / used anything other than the run of the mill factory ones .

How truly factory rep-like. He was well-trained, and/or formerly worked for SIG-Sauer or Glock.

Shuz
05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
cbrick is right on about these sights. I had a set on a TC bbl in the 80's and found it very poor quality for use in IHMSA matchs as he described.

7br
05-17-2011, 09:51 AM
If it is a 7int rimmed, hope you got the dies for it. They are as expensive as the barrel.

cbrick
05-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I also contacted TC about these sights and they outright denied having ever made / used anything other than the run of the mill factory ones .

He either 1> Had no clue what he was talking about in which case he should have kept his mouth shut or 2> He outright lied.

Somehow both #1 and #2 seem like exactly the same thing.

Those are T/C sights, made and sold by Thompson/Center Arms in the 1980's.

Rick

blaser.306
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
If it is a 7int rimmed, hope you got the dies for it. They are as expensive as the barrel.

Found a set here localy ( dieguy 59 ) to use as a loaner , and just by chance had a look over on gunbroker and won a like new Redding Deluxe set , FL, Neck and seat die for $36.00 . Delivered to Canada no less ! New Redding custom deluxe dies are over $300.00 by the time they make it to Canada ! [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

cbrick
05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Hhmmm . . . Its usually not wise on a public forum to admit that you stole something. [smilie=1:

Rick