PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 .44 mag

Heavy lead
04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Saturday I bought one, took one new out of box instead of the one on the rack. I was so geeked about the Old Model Blackhawk .45 I was buying at the same time I didn't check it out.
Well later Saturday as I was fondeling my new purchase I realized it was a perfect pile of rubble. Three screws looked as they had been put in with an undersized bent up tool box driver used for a prybar, and it wouldn't lock into battery when the actrion was worked slow, only when moving the lever briskley or by putting the thumb behind the bolt to allow the lever to move the additional 1/2" or so up.
Took it back to Rick today, they could not even back the screws out, they were in so tight his gunsmith broke a bit.
I have the other one on the rack now.
Hopefully it will shoot.
BTW, they both were Hartford manufactured, not the new plant.

micky_blue
04-25-2011, 04:43 PM
was that stamped on the barrel? Remington got BATF approval to use the rest of the CT stamped barrels. You have to look for the JM on the other side of the barrel.

micky

Heavy lead
04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Didn't look at the one before I returned it, the new one is perfect and doesn't have the mark on the barrel.
If Remington did put that out they ought to be ashamed. Used to be (and I've many 700's) they usually direct from the factory were the best out there IMO.
Guess I'm glad I've got all the 700's I need, they were all shooters from the get go.
Too bad.
I did load some dummy rounds up, the Marlin feeds Mihec's 503 like hot butter through a knife. It'll feed the Lee 310 RF at .400 nose length just fine too. It appears it would not be too difficult to modify the lifter/carrier to lengthen this. I've done this on a Winchester 94 to feed up to .470 nose.

W.R.Buchanan
04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Heavy lead: moving the step back .125 on the lifter will make it swallow 1.725 OAL rounds, which are about all the longer you can possibly make them. Simple to put it in a mill and walk it back. Use an endmill with a small radius on the tips so you don't leave a dead sharp corner after the cut is made.

While you've got it apart chamfer the back edge of the chamber mouth .030-.040 too.

Then the gun will feed anything.

Since you're gonna have the gun apart anyway, you should go to Leverguns.com and get the instructions for slicking up the action. They are worth their weight in gold and the differnce in the gun before and after is night and day. It's all basically deburring except the mod to the hammer so it doesn't cam down is far on opening and closing the action. (one of the main sources of drag) the ejector is the other.

This is all doable for the person who can follow directions and has some small understanding of sandpaper and a file.

Good luck. :drinks:

Randy

Heavy lead
05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Heavy lead: moving the step back .125 on the lifter will make it swallow 1.725 OAL rounds, which are about all the longer you can possibly make them. Simple to put it in a mill and walk it back. Use an endmill with a small radius on the tips so you don't leave a dead sharp corner after the cut is made.

While you've got it apart chamfer the back edge of the chamber mouth .030-.040 too.

Then the gun will feed anything.

Since you're gonna have the gun apart anyway, you should go to Leverguns.com and get the instructions for slicking up the action. They are worth their weight in gold and the differnce in the gun before and after is night and day. It's all basically deburring except the mod to the hammer so it doesn't cam down is far on opening and closing the action. (one of the main sources of drag) the ejector is the other.

This is all doable for the person who can follow directions and has some small understanding of sandpaper and a file.

Good luck. :drinks:

Randy

Thanks Randy, will get it done.

missionary5155
05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Greetings
That would sure make for a bad sinking feeling. Sounds like the gun comunity is being run by the same bunch that used to produce Detroit cars on Monday.

Duckiller
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Missionary if it were just Monday morning cars the industry could have survived. For a while only cars produced around noon on Wednesday were fit to drive. It still may not survive. Government overseers aren't out dragging on Woodward Ave. at 2:00 am.