PDA

View Full Version : Bad Lead

hahaase
04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Recently I purchased some lead from an Ebay source which just isn't all lead. He advertises it as range lead but here has been my experiences. Purchased from a vendor who calls himself as Flexyboy1969 selling range lead which has been fluxed and to be good lead. My first attempt was casting EPP-UPs for C&B and I found that after I had run out of my older lead ingots these caused a major problem trying to get the sprew plate open. Not having much time I used my wooden mallet to really bang it open and breaking off one sprew plate handle. Well today I had extra time and not rushed I determined to try this material again. Set everything, dropped in a few ingots on top of what was in the furness. I did notice that the residual from the last casting was off colored some. Any with my little 10# Lyman set on 8 I walked to my shop to get some other things picked up. Didn't take long n noticed it was already over 800F and melted. I again started pouring with the same results as last time. I begin turing the reostat down n went all he way down to #3 n it was staying in the melting stage. Now everybody who's ever had one of these little pots knows it don't melt lead on #3. I dropped a few more loads into the mold but still had to use force to open the spur plate. I turned it off and I begin empting the pot to get it all out. At 350 F on my thermo is was still liquid. Only thing I can guess is that it contain a lot of tin. (Boiling Pt 231-240F) For the heck of it I ought to get it tested, but don't really want to spend a lot of money on test. Cheaper to re-buy. Any Ideas out there for all of you with experience. I'll definately watch who I buy from next time. :x

Heavy lead
04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
How hard is it?
If it has that much tin, it may be worth way more than you paid for it.
It sounds strange.

GLL
04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
The "melting" point of tin is 232 degrees C about 450 F.

Jerry

Defcon-One
04-25-2011, 06:15 PM
How did the bullets look?

If it has a lot of Tin, they should be nearly perfect and well filled, also lighter than expected with lead!

ColColt
04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't buy any alloy off ebay I made the mistake of buying some "99% Pure" lead from a guy and most of it in one pound ingots that measure BHN8-11.