PDA

View Full Version : 308 Beretta M1 Garand

Stoats
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I've got a 308 Win Beretta M1 Garand, one of the 1/2" shorter-jobs. I've got a 314299 mould coming, and I want it to cycle with boolits. On hand, I've got N130 and N140 that seem to be the right burning rates for getting it going.

Any load suggestions? Lee suggests that 36gn N140 would give 2051fps with a 200gn j-word, so would eg 34-35gn (no filler) give 1900-2000fps with the 314299?

Would this need an adjustable gas plug (I've got one, but it doesn't fit my combitool well so it's a PITA to use), or would it be safe to go with the solid plug? Can't afford to bend one of those 1/2" shorter op-rods!

Stoats
04-25-2011, 11:36 AM
ps - already worked on "the load" with 160gn boolits & 16gn N110. Works well. But I want cycling with similar accuracy.

Baja_Traveler
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
What I did was choose a known performer for the Garand and start low, and work up to where the action cycles reliably. Then fiddle with the accuracy load from there. Doing so I stayed well under the published loads I could find, yet still have an accurate load with enough power to play in the military silhouette matches.
4895 is a proven powder for the Garand, and is what I use. 35grains under that very same bullet cycles my action just fine, has the accuracy and energy to knock over Ram silhouettes with ease, and is a good 10 grains less than what I've seen others use.

HERE (http://www.alabamaservicerifleteam.com/id17.html) is a link that may help in your search. I haven't seen any mention of VihtaVuori powder use in the Garand when I was looking, but N140 is slightly faster than BL-C2, which is a listed load in that link, so it should work. Lots of data out there using N140 and jacketed match bullets, but nothing for cast in a quick search...

Stoats
04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Baja,

Thanks. is that in .30-06 or in .308?

Baja_Traveler
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh - sorry - 30-06

I know not applicable to you, but the way I figured out a nice safe load for my rifle is...

Your'e gonna love that bullet - it a sweet shooter out of a Garand.

madsenshooter
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
You won't need your adjustable gas plug for lead slinging. It would just get in the way of your load development, something else to fiddle with. It's only needed if you're using large charges of slow burners with heavy jacketed bullets.

Stoats
04-25-2011, 01:09 PM
So let's say I start at 30gn N140 and work up to 35 in 1gn increments and see when it starts to function. Sound plausible?

From there, .3-.5 increments to find the sweet spot.

As for BHN, I was thinking 15-18 - maybe erring on the side of caution and going for 18? Or would I get away with my usual 12-14 for such a load?

Bore is .309". I tend to use .312 for most things (doesn't matter if it's sized by a sizing die or by the leade, really. Plus I'm lazy & it means I don't have to change lubrisizer die). Would .311 be more advisable here, or will 312 be good (312 chambers fine)?

madsenshooter
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
If it chambers ok, the leade will do your sizing. With the garand you don't want your loads to stop suddenly before being fully chambered. You'd be risking an out of battery slam fire then. As long as it goes easy, you're ok. We're mostly cheap shooters here, that's why there's not a lot of data for VV powders.

Baja_Traveler
04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Your plan is exactly what I did.

One thing to check for is whether VV is position sensitive with light loads - you may want to add a fluff of dacron if it is. I know my Varget and 4895 light loads are not, so it's a step I dont have to bother with.

I also cast 13-14 BHN - water dropped. Remember the boolits will age and get a bit harder over time as they sit around over weeks and months waiting to be fired. I've never had a problem shooting both fresh or aged in my Garand...

Multigunner
04-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I've got a 308 Win Beretta M1 Garand, one of the 1/2" shorter-jobs. I've got a 314299 mould coming, and I want it to cycle with boolits. On hand, I've got N130 and N140 that seem to be the right burning rates for getting it going.

Is the action actually shorter than the standard Garand receiver?
I thought these were all built on standard Garand actions.

When do get around to buying another Garand I will be buying it as a shooter rather than as a collectors item, so I'm interested in the quality of the non U S G I receivers that are built to old time milspecs, forged and milled rather than cast.
Beretta has a great rep in gunmaking, I might try finding one of their post war products if the price is right.
I like the old '06 cartridge, but the 7.62 would be interesting as well and fresh milspec ammo more easily available.
I don't much care for converted 19th century designed bolt actions in 7.62, only due to the sometimes abysmal quality of NATO ammo, but the Garand has far greater strength and margin for error, so long as gas port pressures are within reason.

Stoats
04-26-2011, 02:54 AM
No, the action is the same length: it is 0.5 inch shorter under the forend.

It is really rather well put together and shoots beautifully.

By the way, they have a block in the front of the magazine. It does nothing with regards to feeding (the cartridges do not touch it) but what it does do is prevent you from inserting a clip of 30-06 which could result in an out of battery slam-fire with half an inch of case sticking out the back.

If it ever needs a new barrel, if I can't get a shorter one made up, I'll restore it to "proper" length (extra parts needed: stock; rear top handguard; operating rod)

Stoats
06-26-2011, 09:25 AM
32gn N140 cycles it at 1950fps with a 200gn bullet. Accuracy OK, nothing special.

A bit of tuning required for accuracy now.

Gtek
06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
After the Korean issue the (extra) Garands and large supply of parts were sent to Italy. They shortened Barrel and OP-ROD by 1/2" to allow re-chamber to the new 7.62 (308). Front of stock , rear handguard shortened 1/2". Later building their own and then the BM-59. (The OP-ROD saddle floats over front of lower barrel bearing area when in battery making fit a little more critical on alignment. When it is right its ok, keep an eye on rear track area on receiver for excess wear. Gtek

Jack Stanley
06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Multigunner , the two Italian makers are both of excellent quality and reputaion and are the same length as the Four American makers . PB is Beretta and BMR is Breda as I recall . You can put together a very good rifle with any or these provided you get a good action to start with and they are standard length .

One other that is not a military action that I heard was a good usable reciever was the Springfield Inc. recievers with a serial number in the low seven million range . I haven't tried one of these but the old codger that has built a couple match rifles for me spoke well of them ... his word to me is testment of their usefullness because he won't work with lower quality stuff .

Jack