PDA

View Full Version : Great Night at the Range...

Bear4570
12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Went up to shoot pistol league on Wednesday and ran into a great deal on a M1 Carbine and 30/40 Krag.

M1 carbine, Winchester, 1000xxx, Plain barrel (no bayonet lug), flat bolt, blued.
wood is a nice dark reddish in 90+%, metal and barrel is 95+%.
Got the gun, 500 rounds (200 of which are military issue in sealed boxes dated 1942 and 3 mags. Total cost $350. Told the guy outright it was worth a bunch more, but he said that's what he had into it and that's what he would sell it for.
Almost sprained my wrist getting my wallet out, all the time tell him that he was killing me, doing this so close to Christmas and me with a dozen grandkids.

30/40 Krag carbine, 1989, stock replaced with a sporter and the rear sight replaced with a classic Redfield Micro-adjustable peep. Wood, metal and barrel about 90%. Slickest bolt action I ever felt. $225

Last but not least another shooting pal of mine comes up and says " I know you like them old guns and I took this in as part of a trade but don't want to mess with it, so give it a good home. Mosin Nagant M44 in about 80% but with a beautiful barrel.

Have had more M1 carbines go thru my hands over the last 30 yrs than I care to think about, but this one is a keeper. Hope it shoots my lee soap can as well as those that I have in the past.

Never had a 30/40 Krag before so there is some load developing and experimenting to do with this one.

Did have a MN m38 once but only shot surplus in it and only had it for a short period of time. Will be fun working up a load for this Old M44.

I love being at the right place, at the right time once in a while. :drinks:

mooman76
12-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Sure is good being in the right place at the right time. Seems like I used to be in the right place at the wrong time but I managed to get there a few times. The 30-40 craig are famous for their slick action. I almost picked one up myself but the previous owner altered it too much. Enjoy!