PDA

View Full Version : Chambering conversion

Jim
12-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Not sure if I'm on the right page here, but saw special projects, thought it might be worth a shot.

Is it feasible to convert a Gibbs Summit in .45-70 to .45-90? If so, what would it take to do it, where would I send it and how much would it cost?

By the way, I haven't seen any of these rifles in quite some time. What would a Gibbs Summit be worth these days?

Jim

KCSO
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM
YOu need to run a 45-90 reamer into the bore and ream it out. I prefer to take off the barrel and do it on a lathe, but it isn't absolutly necessary. The 45-90 is actually a better ctg for the gun as it is the right length for the magazine. It is not any more powerfull as with smokless you can load the 45-70 to the limits of human endurance in the Giggs. I had some loads with a hard cast 535 bullet going over 1800 fps frrom the Gibbs and without a good stock and recoil pad that load was unbearable. My Gibbs had a pistol grip stock and a recoil pad and would gropu a 400 gr cast slug at 1650 into 1 1/2" at 100 yards with a peep sight.

Bullshop
12-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Not sure if I'm on the right page here, but saw special projects, thought it might be worth a shot.

Is it feasible to convert a Gibbs Summit in .45-70 to .45-90? If so, what would it take to do it, where would I send it and how much would it cost?

By the way, I haven't seen any of these rifles in quite some time. What would a Gibbs Summit be worth these days?

Jim
Jim
I recently had one converted to 45/90. It was a simple conversion that cost $60.00 from a local smith. Still plenty of room in the mag for long boolits.
Zanders had bought the last remaning stock from Gibbs then last year Zanders sold them out also.
I bought several for my shop and will be sitting on them until they are worth $450.00 as that is what I am asking.
With a few custom upgrades like stock, pad, sights ect. these make up into nice rifles. The feeding is absolutely positive from the single stack mag that has the fat cartridge pointed straight down the barrel. They hold more ammo in the mag than most belted mags with 5 for the Gibbs and 3 for most belted mags.
They will serve well under about any conditions imaginable and they already have through two world wars and numerous other minor scermishes for about the last 100 years.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
12-15-2006, 03:18 PM
BTW I forgot to mention. I filled both a 45/90 Starline case and a 458 win mag case to the brim with a fine ball powder and they held vertualy the same ammount.
BIC/BS

Johnch
12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
LOL I just bought 1 a few nights ago
W. L. Baumler a supplyer here in Ohio is closeing then out $239.99 ( I think ) dealer cost
I paid 10% over cost

I have not had a chance to even test fire it :( :(

I know though , I need to replace the stock .
It is to low to use the sights
The rifle could never have been test fired with the butt stock on it , because it rubs the bolt

When you pull the trigger , it go's forward in slow motion

What stock should I buy ?
I was looking at the Advanced Tec. stock

Any idea how to scope one ?

Johnch

Bullshop
12-15-2006, 08:56 PM
LOL I just bought 1 a few nights ago
W. L. Baumler a supplyer here in Ohio is closeing then out $239.99 ( I think ) dealer cost
I paid 10% over cost

I have not had a chance to even test fire it :( :(

I know though , I need to replace the stock .
It is to low to use the sights
The rifle could never have been test fired with the butt stock on it , because it rubs the bolt

When you pull the trigger , it go's forward in slow motion

What stock should I buy ?
I was looking at the Advanced Tec. stock

Any idea how to scope one ?

Johnch
Thats a real good price! If anybody is lookin nows the time.
BIC/BS