PDA

View Full Version : good read

adrians
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
i found this in my wifeypoos antique store just want to say ,,,this fella knew some stuff,
its a good read.
thats all ,have a great easter sunday .:twisted::coffee::evil:

runfiverun
04-24-2011, 12:47 PM
i picked it up some time ago and read it all that same day.

Bret4207
04-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Pretty much ALL of Col Whelens writings have merit. They didn't call him "The Dean of American Gun Writers" for nothing! If you ever get a chance, read "Mr. Rifleman".

adrians
04-25-2011, 07:02 AM
"mr rifleman" 10-4.

Bret4207
04-26-2011, 07:22 AM
He has another one that I can't lay my hands on right now that I think is called "The American Rifle" that's very good too. The man was simply one of the best writers in the subject ever.

MT Gianni
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
A ton of knowledge and if I have my facts right he spent severl months out in the Canadian bush as a young man with a rifle, fishing rod and cook pot but not much more. Educated but practial wisdom resulted in a very intelegent man.

76 WARLOCK
04-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a copy of his "The Hunting Rifle" i got it from the NRA Firearms Classic Library a few years ago.

Bret4207
04-27-2011, 07:39 AM
A ton of knowledge and if I have my facts right he spent severl months out in the Canadian bush as a young man with a rifle, fishing rod and cook pot but not much more. Educated but practial wisdom resulted in a very intelegent man.

He spent numerous summers and falls out in the bush. Interesting guy really, said to be rather reserved and aloof in person, an old style New England Blue Blood. I don;t think we have people like that anymore.

Warlock- I think thats the title I was trying to remember.

Bent Ramrod
04-27-2011, 09:20 PM
He wrote "The American Rifle" when he was a Major, and "The Hunting Rifle" later on as a Colonel. He also wrote "American Rifle Design and Ballistics" and two small monographs on "Telescopic Sights" and "Amateur Gunsmithing."

He was a great writer and everybody uses his quote "Only accurate rifles are interesting." But my personal favorite, which I quote whenever a friend's wife makes a moue of disgust and asks why we talk endlessly about "those guns," is "The rifle is an instrument beloved of all men and few women."

adrians
04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
He wrote "The American Rifle" when he was a Major, and "The Hunting Rifle" later on as a Colonel. He also wrote "American Rifle Design and Ballistics" and two small monographs on "Telescopic Sights" and "Amateur Gunsmithing."

He was a great writer and everybody uses his quote "Only accurate rifles are interesting." But my personal favorite, which I quote whenever a friend's wife makes a moue of disgust and asks why we talk endlessly about "those guns," is "The rifle is an instrument beloved of all men and few women."

i like that quote ,i'll probably use it myself at some point, in fact i'm going to instigate a small verbal skirmish with my other half and see how it works on her,,,:evil:[smilie=w::evil:
could be my last post,,,,,,,,ever[smilie=1:

1Shirt
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
If you have not read at least some of the old Col's articles, and or one or more of his books, you have missed out on some truely fine reading!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

375supermag
04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
i like that quote ,i'll probably use it myself at some point, in fact i'm going to instigate a small verbal skirmish with my other half and see how it works on her,,,:evil:[smilie=w::evil:
could be my last post,,,,,,,,ever[smilie=1:

As you age, wisdom will come and you will learn that it is not wise to instigate a "small verbal skirmish" with your other half...if you survive this attempt:smile:

adrians
04-30-2011, 11:46 AM
i can't tell if it worked or not ,my brain hurts.,,,,
but she was gracious enough to let me live to shoot again. :evil::veryconfu:evil:
gotta love it !!!!:mrgreen:

white eagle
04-30-2011, 12:09 PM
"The rifle is an instrument beloved of all men and few women."
reminds me of the aspen leaf
seems one of the Indian nations out west coined the phrase for them being
women tongue ......
seems the slightest breeze and they start flapping :Fire: