PDA

View Full Version : Heart attack

JudgeBAC
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I never thought I would be writing this. After bike riding last Thursday had a heart attack. Fortunately my Doctor lives next door and within 45 mins I was at the hospital having a stent put in. Came home yesterday. Recovering at home. Lots of time to read. A friend brought by Mike Venturino's Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West. Great read. Great opportunity to catch up on my reading.

jmsj
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
JudgeBAC,
Glad to hear you made it through the heart attack. Rest up and get better, we'll keep up a good thought for you.
jmsj

dragonrider
04-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Stents are wonderful things. Got one of my own in 2001. You will feel much better shortly. HA's are not fun, glad that is all you got. You probably have some pills to take now, don't miss taking them. Rest and get better. Good luck.

Echo
04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
No HA here, but had angina that lead to CABGx2 (double bypass). One blockage was on a bend where they couldn't put in a stent, so they had to take a chain saw to my sternum. That was over 4 years ago, but my cardiologist just wants to see me annually, so the ticker is plugging along. On Lisinopril although my BP is OK - they want their CABG folks to keep their BP down. Hang in there, mate, and do what the sawbones says.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Great to hear that you are ok. Pretty handy having a Dr. that close.

Firebricker
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Glad your feeling better and recovering well. Listen to that doctor ! They can be a pain but they know their business. FB

*Paladin*
04-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Good to hear you're ok!

Glen
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Glad you got prompt medical attention, that can make a world of difference. Rest up, read lots and heal up quickly!

Wayne Smith
04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear the rapid response and the recovery process. Listen to your MD and gradually get back involved in life.

RobS
04-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Glad to see you're still here and a great part to it was responding quickly. You've got a second lease on life....................recover and take medical advise along with choosing better health decisions will keep you around for your friends and family (us here at the Castboolits forum too) as well as keep you castin, reloadin & shootin. Live on!!!!!

Houndog
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Been there done that 4X and have 5 stents to prove it! Take care of yourself, and YES you probably will have some emotional problems to get over sooner or later. I did! I lost about 35% of my heart function, but I'm still on the green side of the grass and doin fine. LISTEN to your Doctor and learn to like walking. It's THE best medicne for your heart out there. GOD gave you a warning shot across the bow. DO what your body tells you.

GT27
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Glad your o.k.,take care of yourself,God allowed you a second chance.Take heed to the warning!

gray wolf
04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Hope your all well soon,
Now cut that stuff out. We need all the casters we can get/and keep.

Murphy
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
JudgeBAC,

Glad to hear you're going to be okay, scary stuff right there. Not that you need to be told, but take care of yourself fella...we need more like you around.

Murphy

JeffinNZ
04-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Great to hear from you and that your are doing well. Ain't medicine great?

mold maker
04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
It's a he!! of a way to get a vacation, but you already knew that. My Mom had 4 stints put in, (in 1987) and it was cancer that finally took her last year at 93. If ya do your part, ya can finish out a well rounded life.
Good luck to ya.

Sprue
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
I hear ya. I had 1 stent put in last Feb, Last March and Dec of 2009. I learned that Plavix and me don't go with one another. I'm greatful that I've never had a HA though.

The one done in Feb was a norm, pain free deployment. The one done a month later had to be done on the left groin area. Man you talk about pain now that one was.

Normally though, Stents are a very easy going experience, at least when the procedure is done on the right groin area.

Good Luck & Happy Trails

RayinNH
04-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Judge, glad to hear you're still among us and on the mend. Maybe after feeling a bit better you can get in some range time before having to return to work :Fire:...Ray

Ohio Rusty
04-24-2011, 07:58 PM
You'll be back to normal after healing. You'll now be on a fun cocktail of pills to help keep you healthy and to keep your pipes from closing up again. Ahhhh ...now comes the change of diet too. Time for a healthy lifestyle so you can keep loading and shooting. I had the pleasure of getting 3 stents in 2004 as my Christmas present for that year. Heart technology is amazing ......
Ohio Rusty ><>

BOOM BOOM
04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
HI,
TAKE CARE.:Fire::Fire:

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2011, 06:29 AM
glad to here your ok. Now put away that bike and sit on your but like the rest of us old guys do.

Ajax
04-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Glad you are here to tell us about it.

Andy

Jal5
04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Glad to hear you are OK. Rest up and before long you will feel like reloading and shooting again. Had 5 bypass surgery 5 yrs. ago this month and still going strong. You will look back on this and realize you got another chance on life!

Cherokee
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Been there too - listen to the Doc and take the meds. Want to see you around for a long time.

MtGun44
04-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Good thing that you recognized it and got prompt treatment. It is great to hear that
you are doing well!

I had one put in back in 2005, also during a biking trip. Been 100% OK and able to do
literally anything I want to, including backpacking in the mountains of Wyoming, hunting
etc. I sincerely hope your recovery is as complete as mine has been.

Take it easy for a while and listen to what they say about lifestyle changes. I have done
a few things with diet and a couple of drugs and they tell me that my chances of a repeat
are extremely low. Hope they are right!

If anybody thinks that they might possibly be having a heart attack, take 2-4 aspirin
ASAP! Then get to an emergency room, pronto. With the aspirin stopping or slowing the
clotting and quick installation of a stent, you have a great chance of no serious long term
damage. Modern technology is incredible.

Bill

44man
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I am with you too, take care my friend. I hope you have many, many years left now.
Stop the bike and shoot more! Get one of these, much better! [smilie=2:

Baja_Traveler
04-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I've got a whole box of stents at home - I probably had a hand in making alot of you guys' stents...

I think the Europeans actually do the implant better, threading the catheter through an artery in the arm rather than the leg - shorter distance to go and less chance of problems. Not done that way as much here...

6bg6ga
04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I was the proud owner of two stents in 2000. They plugged up 6months later and had to be cleaned out. Still have one major artery plugged that they can't get to or at least couldn't in 2000. Need to go in soon for a tune up. Best of luck to you.

Houndog
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I think the Europeans actually do the implant better, threading the catheter through an artery in the arm rather than the leg - shorter distance to go and less chance of problems. Not done that way as much here...

That's the way they did my first two at Mount Carmel Hospital in Columbus OH. The doc that did the deed looked like he belonged in grade school. 45 minutes from the time I hit the Emergency Room door I had been through surgery and was in a CCU recovery room. I wasn't so lucky the second time around.

9.3X62AL
04-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Glad to read that all worked out well, Judge. I had a shot across my bow a year ago of this nature, and had to "get religion" on lifestyle choices post haste. All good outcomes, in retrospect. Take care, sir.

rmb721
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
I am glad you are on the mend.

I had a heart attack in April of 1992 and five bypasses in September of 1994 when I was 43 and a big pile of medicine since then.

I wish you the best.

GLL
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Pleased to hear you got medical attention so quickly ! That makes all of the difference !
Take Care !

Jerry

blackthorn
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!!!

Jon K
04-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear you're OK.
Rest, follow the Doctor's instructions.

Thoughts & Prayers,
Jon

Sprue
04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
glad to here your ok. Now put away that bike and sit on your but like the rest of us old guys do.

mmmYeah, mmmYeah, dats the ticket !