PDA

View Full Version : lead find

snaplink
04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
went to the local scrapyard to ask for lead, wheel weights. the guy had them then asked if i wanted this stuff which was a little over 300 pounds of already cast bullets, 9mm, 38, 44, 45 so now sitting in my shed are my little prizes, he still has the wheel weights but that will have to wait for a little while.

*Paladin*
04-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Cool! What did it cost you?

CATS
04-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Were they lubed?

snaplink
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
some were lube and sized mosly the 45's, paid .80 a pound may be high but i didn't need any of my gasoline to melt them down.

badbob454
04-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Score!!!

snaplink
04-24-2011, 12:26 PM
forgot to say the yard had 115 pounds of bags of shot these also are home with me.

Armorer
04-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I wonder why on God's green Earth that anyone in their right mind would scrap perfectly good BOOLITS and boolit making metals. Boggles my mind! LOL!

snaplink
04-24-2011, 01:49 PM
not really sure, the yard guy said something about him getting out of the business. asked if he knew the person said no, I was hoping to get his molds and melter, but no luck. Semper Fi Marine, me too

Longwood
04-24-2011, 01:56 PM
The scrap dealer probably bought them from a wife that her husband died. You older guys that are hoarding,,,,. Guess where it will probably end up.

fatelk
04-24-2011, 04:35 PM
An acquaintance once told me about an elderly relative who had passed away. He knew that he had a collection of guns and used to be an avid reloader.

After a respectful amount of time, he asked about the guns and reloading stuff as he would be interested in buying some if they were to be sold.

It turns out that the widow had always hated her husband's guns, hated guns in general, and had always been frightened by all the dangerous gunpowder and crates of ammo he kept in the basement. The day after he died, she called the local police department to come and haul it off, guns and all. Apparently even the reloading tools got thrown in the trash.

He was not happy. He said he was tempted to tell her how many thousands of dollars it was likely worth, but decided against it since she had just lost her husband and she did what she did out of fear and ignorance.

bslim
04-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I Just got a phone call from a buddy who visited a scrap dealer looking for lead. he was taken into a shed which had a 45 gal. drum with 20" of #8 lead shot in it. Asking how it got there, he was told a widow called, and wanted to sell it. At the time it was bagged, but the dealer slit all of the 25# bags and dumped it into the barrel thinking it was just plain lead. We are going there on Tues. to make an offer on the whole works. Must be at least a couple of hundred pounds in that barrel?

Beagler
04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
My old crewleader remarried a widow and her passed husband had thousands of rounds and a pile of lead in the stashed in the garage when he moved in. He scraped the lead and dug a hole filled an old barrel with the ammo and covered it over. To try and make him paranoid I keep tell him somebody is going to get blown up one of these days when the barrel goes off. He just shakes his head and says I cant have the buried treasure