PDA

View Full Version : Waffen Fabrik 10.4x42

JSH
12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Ran across this a few days back, no it didn't follow me home. If I had not snagged the Krag rifle a couple of weeks back......................
It is a very interesting design I thought. I have seen these years ago but never paid any attention to them. I thought maybe some of you may have thoughts or experiances with one?
Jeff

Almost forgot, here are the only markings I could find on it.
Waffenbrik
BERN
M81
It has what looks to be a Swiss marking on it. Condition of the exterior looked very good, but then I don't know what it looked like new. I suspect a refinish at some time as the wood, full length stock, is in A1 shape as is all the metal.

Did a google on it. I never had them untie the bolt, so did not realize it was a rimfire. The search also stated the caliber as 10.4x38.
Lol, glad it is a rimfire, as I was having silly thoughts. Still a very interesting rifle.

Bob S
12-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Jeff:

You have a Swiss Vetterli. Conversion to centerfire is an easy job for a moderately skilled home hobbyist with opposable thumbs. Cases are made from 348 Winchester, and appropriate bullet moulds have been made by Lee in several "Group Buys". Since groove diameters run from .429 to .435 (all 3 of mine are .430-.431), you can use a 44 Mag mould in a pinch, but you may not be able to load them long enough for the archaic feed system to function as a repeater. Dies by CH are available from Buffalo Arms, as well as cases already formed for the lazy (like me!) . Rumor has it that Lee is also planning to make dies.

The rifles are accurate and pleasant to shoot. My friend shot one in one of the first Vintage Bolt Rifle matches at Camp Perry, and won a silver medal with it. To do that, he had to reload individual cartridges through that loading gate for the rapid fire stage!

Look at this forum for good info on converting to centerfire (follow the "helpful links" post) and reloading:

http://p090.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm48

Stand by to have fun ....

Resp'y,
Bob S.

JSH
12-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Bob, thanks for the info. This one did not follow me home. I could have them put it back, but this St. Claus fellow has put the hurt to me this year.
If anyone is interested it is at the Cabela's in KC. It was either 399 or 499.

jeff