PDA

View Full Version : dry moly lube

450 racer
04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
I was wondering if dry moly lube from a spray can will work as a mold lube/release agent?

MtGun44
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
There is no need for a mold release, I recommend against using it. Use Bull Plate
lube for lubing the alignment features on the mold and the sprue plate.

Bill

runfiverun
04-24-2011, 01:07 AM
it's pretty good at making a mold a smaller size and in most cases unevenly so.
there are better ways to make a mold work smoothly.

cbrick
04-24-2011, 01:09 AM
I recommend listening to MtGun44, the best you'll get from ANY type of mold release is fouled up vent lines.

If your mold is clean, at proper casting temp and has no burs it will drop the bullets. Bullets drop from a mold very simply becuase as the bullets cool they shrink, perhaps you need to wait just a tad longer. If your having a problem dropping bullets perhaps your problem is one or more of these four things.

Rick

2wheelDuke
04-24-2011, 01:38 AM
I agree on not using mold release. I started casting using mold release, and the results weren't good. I didn't know any better, and it sounded like a good idea. The mold release caused more problems than it solved.

I learned how to "Lee-ment" the mold here on this site, and after that, it's run great.

I used to have a really hard time getting good boolits with that mold, but with the ideas I picked up here and refined thru trial and error, I get great results now.

450 racer
04-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Thank you guy's I am new to this it has been slow going but I am getting there

cbrick
04-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank you guy's I am new to this it has been slow going but I am getting there

I've been casting for over 30 years, in fact I've shot nothing but cast for 25 years and I'm still . . . getting there. :grin:

Learn or re-learn something new every day.

Rick

Calamity Jake
04-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I use mold release, on the OUTside of steel mold blocks, helps prevent rust.

MO Fugga
04-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Do you guys agree that the graphite is good for ingots, or will that cause problems when I go to cook them down into boolits? I figgered It would float to the top with the rest of the slag. Thanks!

- Another damn rookie.

cbrick
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
No need MO, save your money for more lead, molds, powder, primers, guns, range/hunting time.

As the picture in your post of your ingots shows, your ingot mold does have tapered sides (see, you did do good). Your ingots or your bullets once you start casting will drop from the mold because as the alloy cools it shrinks and no longer fits the mold that made it. If you have a sticking problem it is a physical problem that should be corrected, it is not a mold release agent problem.

Rick

MO Fugga
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Rick. I thought that would be the best deal, as it has no angles anywhere in the mold. I was thinking about stamping the bottom of the pan, for grizzlies and grins.... :redneck: