PDA

View Full Version : ceramic media

edsmith
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
any one use ceramic media? how well does it polish?how long does it last? thanks guys.

Tom Myers
04-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Yes.
Very well.
Forever.

Red River Rick
04-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I threw all my other media in the garbage..............I'll never go back. Ceramic is the best. You can make the dirtiest and ugliest cases look like B/N. Some water and a squirt of dish soap, and your off!

RRR

mpbarry1
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Will this stuff work in my Dillion case cleaner? Where do you get it? sounds cool

John Traveler
04-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Ceramic media is readily available at lapidary and gemstone/jewelry making stores.

It comes in various sizes and shapes: short rods with square ends, short rods with conical ends, cones, rectangular blocks, etc. The most useful for cartridge case cleaning is the short 3/" to 1/2" long x 1/8" diameter rods with conical or slanted cut-off ends.

The is an important caveat in using ceramic tumbling/vibrating media: 100% case interior inspection is needed! An occasional case will jam up with one (or several) ceramic rods and require picking to remove. This is especially true of bottleneck cases. You certainly DON'T want to load and fire ceramic polishing media out of your guns!!!

Industrial polishing and deburring operations use the ceramic media extensively. Many gun parts are tumbled after deburring and machining. Remington used to (probably still does) do finish polishing of model 870, 760, 7600, 742, 7400 rifle and shotgun receivers in large vibrating polishers using ceramic media.

John Traveler
04-24-2011, 12:21 AM
I forgot to mention that since ceramic media polishing is a WET medium, it might not be suitable for some vibrating case cleaner machines. My Dillon, for instance, has a sticker that warns not to use liquid media.

Ceramic tumbling certainly has it's place. It very rapidly removes even black powder stains and residues and works a lot faster than granulated walnut hull or corncob media combined with auto polish or rouge.

Wayne Smith
04-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Lyman makes a heavy duty small bowl with a solid, clear top for the vibrators.. It is used for the Moly coating process and can be used with carborandum to polish rocks. I use it with 3mm round ceramic balls to clean BP cases. I don't know if it will fit other makers/sellers vibrator motors.

Digger
04-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Would ceramic and citric like lemishine combined be going a little overboard or not ?

John Traveler
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
That sounds like a good idea! I will try it!

edsmith
04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
midsouth has the ceramic media.

MtGun44
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Ceramic and lemishine does seem overkill unless your brass has been laying on the range
for a decade.

Corn cob with a capful of car polish cleans normal brass to absolutely like new in a very
short period.

Bill

doulos
04-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Will this stuff work in my Dillion case cleaner? Where do you get it? sounds cool

Ceramic media is made to be used wet. It is usually at its best in rotary drum type tumblers and rock polishers because of the weight and liquid. Ive used it in my Thumblers Tumbler and it works very well.

bbqncigars
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
I've used the ceramic media and concentrate from BACO in my Thumler. It worked maybe a little too well. The cases came out a little 'frosty', and some of the media had to be picked out of cases and primer pockets. I'm a lot happier with the SS media's results.

cajun shooter
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I have been using ceramic in my Thumblers Tumblers model B for over three years. I tried the Lemi-shine with it about two weeks ago on some old 44-40 nickel cases that had been fired with BP and left. It cleaned them so good that it removed the nickel finish.

hiram
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
When I open my tumbler, I have to put sunglasses on.

My media is cylinders, .100 diam and .315 long. It will get stuck in a 30 cal bottleneck case, and that takes more time to empty the cases.

Terrific for 45-70, 44-40.