PDA

View Full Version : Hammond Easy Kaster

kodiak1
04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Hey All I got a Hammond Easy Kaster that was built in Kalamazoo.
It is a 500 pound melter.
Anyone out there in Radio Land have any idea when this old girl could have been built?
There is nothing electric on it at all.
It is Propane fired it has two long burners underneath and another burner to keep the dump valve warm so it doesn't freeze up with cooling lead.

Am going to fire it up tomorrow and see how it runs.

Ken.

Johnch
04-23-2011, 09:52 PM
OK
I remember reading something that referanced a Hammonond ( or a close spelling ) pot for casting bearings

From memory it was about WW2 ......Maybe WW1

Might or might not be the same company or pot

John

MikeS
04-24-2011, 02:10 AM
There's another forum member that has a Hammond Easy Kaster, checkout this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48858

That's a unit for remelting type (linotype, etc.) to make new ingots to place in the linotype machines. Do you have the complete setup with the table that lets you dump the filled moulds out onto the floor like the ones in the pictures?

How come I never fall into anything like one of those?

kodiak1
04-24-2011, 11:25 AM
MikeS
You old hound dog that is her to a tee!
I got the plate all right but not the stand for the plate to go on,
I got about 10 or 15 moulds 1/2 of them are triangle the other 1/2 are rectangle.
The triangles weight 23 pounds full of wheel weight and the rectangles weight 28 pounds.
I got the spout that goes on the easy kaster and the ingot moulds go under that.

I got the printers hoist that lets you hang the ingots and as you need them lowered there is a chain that you pull and the ingots go down into the pot of your bullet caster. I have a Ballisticast Machine ran it for the first time yesterday.

I am taking it that these were used in printing shops so that they could ingot their linotype?

The little winch came from a printer.

This is way to cool. Thanks for the link!

Ken.

MikeS
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
No problem. I believe that machine is for remelting the used linotype back into ingots. I would love to have one of those, but I don't think those ingots would fit into my Lyman Big Dipper pot! :kidding:

And even if I did have something I could feed with those, where I live the association surely wouldn't allow it! I hate living in a 'gated community' but my mother loves it, and it's her house, so I just have to deal with it. Good luck getting that thing up and running!

scrapcan
04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Kodiak1,

Now you have something that can keep you in melt to make those gib 50-70 bullets.

You should put some pictures up when you get a chance. Just as the previous link iven by MikeS was a help, yours might also benefit others.

xringshutr
04-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Kodiak,
Did you get my e-mail regarding pictures of the Hammond?? I sent it via the cast boolits e-mail system, but I couldn't attach pics of the plate, mount, etc. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some close-up pics of the plate. Have fun with her. I know I just grin when I light mine up!! :mrgreen: