PDA

View Full Version : Dies on Ebay

alamogunr
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I've just done an inventory of my reloading dies and find that I have a few guns that I don't have dies for. These are all fairly common (no wildcats) cartridges with the 7.62X54R being probably less common than the others. I feel sure that I can eventually find most of them on ebay and not pay more than mail order( I've noticed that many times items are bid beyond retail cost ) from Midway or Grafs, but they would more than likely be used. What kind of experience has this board had with used dies. The other consideration is that if I order all 5 at once, the shipping may be less since I also am planning to get a few more items. This is not a given since the two vendors mentioned charge shipping based on the value of the order, not weight etc. I would appreciate any input and recommendations.
John

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Check Graf's shipping policy, I believe it's $3.95 per order, buy all your dies for one shipping charge!

MT Gianni
12-14-2006, 07:56 PM
I got Gun-showed one time with dies for a 35 Whelen. The sizer was 35 W and the seater was 358 Win. They worked but it didn't look right to me to seat with that much brass showing. You do get what you pay for but if someone you know has a set used should be ok if no scratches etc. If I sell a gun the dies usually go if I am not planning on getting back into that caliber. Gianni.

klausg
12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
John-
Much as I hate to admit it, I did purchase a couple of sets of dies on eBay. I personally didn't have any problems and they were truly cheap, IIRC $17 for Lyman .22/250 and $20 for RCBS .38/.357 carbide, both prices include S&H. I have also purchased used dies at some of the pawn shops around here, which I prefer as you can at least look them over before you buy. All in all the used dies that I have purchased have been in very good condition, maybe a blush of surface rust on the exterior, but in no way abused. Then again, maybe I've just been really lucky [smilie=1: . If you're not in a hurry, I'd say go for it; I would post here and check gunbroker or some of the other sites before doing business on eBay though.

-Klaus

No_1
12-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Why don't you post your die needs here? It is possible members have extras. I know I do.

Robert

45nut
12-14-2006, 08:42 PM
by all means do,,thats almost a given that there will be offers forthcoming.

Ranch Dog
12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
I've got a bunch of dies but only one set from eBay. I think if they weren't listed as new and unused, I wouldn't buy them. I collect Lee Loaders and have bought a bunch off of eBay as that is about the only source. My experience with these dies are that they are usually described as in better condition than they really are. A couple of pictures really don't show what they will look like in your hands. I would buy them all at once and take my savings on the shipping. You might call a guy, like Robert Bose at Bose's Guns (http://www.bosesguns.com). May be he will cut you a deal on the dies or shipping.

kywoodwrkr
12-14-2006, 10:10 PM
alamogunr,
Post your needs by all means.
I just took inventory this last weekend and have some multiples.
Actually, some are multiples of multiples.
I have already shipped some sets to other members here and have some set aside for yet another.
If I have any you can use, the price is determined as followed:
I ship what I have that you can use and you put what you want into the kettle.(Salvation Army)
Right now I have an extra set of Lee 7,62x54R dies, I know for sure.
Also have some strange trim dies so by all means list what you need.
DaveP kywoodwrkr
PS If you buy on e-pay, make sure you ask seller for a very accurate description of the dies.
D.

No_1
12-14-2006, 10:26 PM
I have some multiples also. So post what you are after and let's see what can be done.

Robert

kywoodwrkr,
Got any .41 mag dies in that stash?

alamogunr,
Post your needs by all means.
I just took inventory this last weekend and have some multiples.
Actually, some are multiples of multiples.
I have already shipped some sets to other members here and have some set aside for yet another.
If I have any you can use, the price is determined as followed:
I ship what I have that you can use and you put what you want into the kettle.(Salvation Army)
Right now I have an extra set of Lee 7,62x54R dies, I know for sure.
Also have some strange trim dies so by all means list what you need.
DaveP kywoodwrkr
PS If you buy on e-pay, make sure you ask seller for a very accurate description of the dies.
D.

mooman76
12-14-2006, 10:39 PM
I have gotten moulds, dies and my Lyman45 luber and a few other things all on ebay. I think the high priced bid items are either people caught up on the bid, uneducated as to the price or an occational discontinued item. I have never been burned yet so maybe I have been lucky. If you go this route do a little research or even ask them questions. I try not to buy from people that don't seem to know what they have so they don't know the true condition. But like everyone here is saying give them a chance first. I think most of us have dies and such they acumulated over the years that aren't used anymore including myself!

454PB
12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
I listed some used dies for sale on this forum a while back. One set is non carbide .41 magnum, and I still have them.

AZ Pete
12-15-2006, 12:04 AM
I've got a bunch of dies but only one set from eBay. I think if they weren't listed as new and unused, I wouldn't buy them. I collect Lee Loaders and have bought a bunch off of eBay as that is about the only source. My experience with these dies are that they are usually described as in better condition than they really are. A couple of pictures really don't show what they will look like in your hands. I would buy them all at once and take my savings on the shipping. You might call a guy, like Robert Bose at Bose's Guns (http://www.bosesguns.com). May be he will cut you a deal on the dies or shipping.

Pardon the hijack, but for Lee Loaders check here:

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FMR&Category_Code=Lee+Hand+Loader

I have bought dies on e-bay with good results. I have sold about 20 sets, that I no longer needed with the same results. I got fair prices for them (better than I could have sold them locally) and the purchased dies were fairly priced...some were real bargains.

versifier
12-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I've just done an inventory of my reloading dies and find that I have a few guns that I don't have dies for.... John

Hmmm. I have just the opposite problem, but it's a little more expensive to cure. I have quite a few dies sets I don't have guns for. Yet. :mrgreen:

alamogunr
12-15-2006, 01:43 AM
OK folks! Here's the list:

.45 Colt
.454 Casull
.30-30
.308 Win
7.62 X 54R

RCBS lists different die sets for .45 Colt and .454, but Redding lists only one for both. Is the only difference having to adjust rather than leaving the die set for only one lenght case?

I'll give serious consideration to any offers but with the caution that I'm going to check Grafs as well. With my C&R license, I get pretty good prices but I do have to pay shipping. I'll call and get a total with shipping charges so I have something to compare.
Thanks for the offers.

John

Bent Ramrod
12-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Almost all of my dies I've bought used at gun shows or off that table at the gun store with all the remainders and trade-ins. I try to unscrew the seater and the decapper and look at the interior surfaces to see if they're undamaged, but if the dies are uncommon and/or cheap enough and I can't get them apart at the show I'll often buy them on "spec." Like Versifier, I have dies I haven't guns for but it's important to be prepared for every eventuality:-? .

Light to medium scratches and light rust I can polish out on my lathe. The same polishing can also be done with the die in a vise and a dowel with crocus cloth in an electric drill. The heavily scratched dies I've seen have mostly been on straight-sided revolver or auto-pistol dies, probably from poorly-cleaned range pickup brass. These require heavy polishing, if they can be refurbished at all, and if they're in some common caliber it would be better to wait until a better set comes along. Only once (way early on) did I get a set so badly made it was useless. Another set had a slightly off-center expander/decapper, but leaving the stem loose in the die allowed it to center itself. (The rifle did satisfyingly frequent under-MOA groups, so this misalignment couldn't have been too bad.)

Mostly I stick with RCBS, Redding, Pacific, Lyman and Lachmiller for brands. I would think on E-bay bidding, sticking to established brands and a few pointed, pertinent questions to the seller, plus a return policy, should keep you out of trouble.

The longevity of properly-cared-for reloading equipment makes it a quite attractive bargain. The money you save buys a lot of powder and primers. Lots of people have taken advantage of this discounted value, buying up the stuff cheap, tacking on a surcharge, and setting up semipermanent "stores" at gun shows. Generally, they're still cheaper than new, and as good.

mooman76
12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I might add a couple more things. Some of the sellers do allot of business on ebay and if you have a problem they are willing to do something to help you out like return or something. Don't jump in and give them a bad review without giving them a chance to fix it.
Also check their feedback for satisfaction.
And last make sure you check their shipping rates. Sometimes I notice something going for a low bid and I look at shipping and see why. Some even ask more for shipping than the item is worth!

sjohnson
12-15-2006, 06:00 PM
If you get the Lee collet die for the .308, and buy a 7.62x54r shellholder (Lee #16 IIRC) you're set to neck size the 7.62 Russian.

Get a fender washer that will slide over a 7.62x54r case. Insert the 7.62 case into the shellholder, place the washer over the case and use the .308 collet die. The washer fools the .308 collet die into sizing the neck on the 7.62 :)

GSPKurt
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Anyone got a spare .38/.357 Carbide set they wannna unload?

MarkK
12-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I have a set of Lee 30-30 and RCBS 303 dies. Will trade for 45 win mag or 8mm Lebel dies.

Explorer1
12-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I have a set of Lee 308 dies for which I'd take $10 plus actual shipping for.

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-18-2006, 01:18 AM
I could use some 7.5x55 dies and shellholder.

Rich

Buckshot
12-20-2006, 03:28 AM
If you get the Lee collet die for the .308, and buy a 7.62x54r shellholder (Lee #16 IIRC) you're set to neck size the 7.62 Russian.

Get a fender washer that will slide over a 7.62x54r case. Insert the 7.62 case into the shellholder, place the washer over the case and use the .308 collet die. The washer fools the .308 collet die into sizing the neck on the 7.62 :)

.............Absolutely wizard! I've been neck sizing just by raising the FL sizer up, and much prefer the collet die anyway. Thanks for posting the info!

................Buckshot

scrapcan
12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Buckshot,

You have the tools to modify a shellholder s for your purpose. just build up the shellholder to the desired thickness, clean iit up on the lathe/mill, and there you have a custom die set.

madcaster
12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I have a set of Herter's .30/30,a Lachmiller .257 Roberts and Pacific .22 Hornet.

j4570
12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
I usually only will buy RCBS used. They have a lifetime warranty (though Dillon says they warranty, it DOES NOT warranty their decapping pins which cost like $3 EACH, therefore I avoid their dies like the plague now, RCBS, pins are like 5/$3 and I have broke far fewer of theirs).

LEE dies, just buy new, they are cheap enough, unless you can inspect them (ie, gun show). My best deals have been at guns shows, usually $10 for some odd stuff that would normally be $50-60.

I agree, here on forums is a good place to start. Matter of fact, I think you need a 375 Winchester Rifle, so you can buy my duplicate set from me-hahaha.

I generally buy dies for everything I have. Sometimes, I'll try and find a set used on Ebay, but many sellers get more there than it costs to buy new! I've had a hard time locating 22LR dies and primers though-------------

JW

Four Fingers of Death
12-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Personally, I am loathe to part with dies as its always possible I might buy a rifle in that calibre again. I know, I'm a sick man! I have bought s few sets of dies on evil bay, as described and a good price. You have to know how much they cost, watch the shipping charges (always factor that into the cost). Mick.