PDA

View Full Version : Old Model Blackhawk

Heavy lead
04-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I ran into an Old Model Blackhawk .45 today. Now of course the fun begins as it's home now.
I would like to obtain a steel grip frame for it, blue or stainless. It appears looking at the scematics for a Ruger Old Army, it may be the same grip frame.
Can anyone here chime in on this.
Of course I will keep the aluminum original if I ever sell the thing to keep it original, but shooting it with a steel gripframe is the way to go I believe.

sliphammer
04-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Iv'e heard the old army frame will fit but I don't know for sure as I've never tried it. If you're interested I have an OM SBH grip frame, wide trigger, and a set of grips.

Rico1950
04-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Midway has the Ruger Old Army frame in the white for $89.99.
Also the Blackhawk frame for $112.99.

2152hq
04-24-2011, 06:24 PM
The Ruger Old Army percussion revolver grip frame will fit the O/M Ruger cartridge revolvers. It was an easy way to a steel grip frame.
I didn't know they were still available.

IIRC the Old Army frame takes the narrow trigger,,some of the Ruger cartridge revolvers have a wide trigger (maybe only the 44magnums?).
Then you either switch the trigger or widen the trigger slot in the new frame to fit.

The SBH frame will fit but has a wide trigger slot in it. The O/M 45 Blackhawk probably has a narrow trigger. The SBH grip frame is slightly longer than the Blackhawk and has the squared off trigger guard at the rear.

You could go big and go for a Power Custom 2-piece Colt type for the Ruger. I fit one to a 44Mag Flat Top and it is a very nice grip frame assembly. More than enough matr'l to work with to allow for finishing to the edges of the Ruger frame which never seem to be square and flat. You can use a one piece grip with these if you want but have to mount the coil mainspring onto the trigger guard half alone.
Some have converted to a flat mainspring with these also.
The Power Custom is the Ruger older RX3 size,,which is the same as the Colt SAA dimensions.
The Ruger Old Army frame is the RX3RED (redesign) with the slightly changed dimensions.

I've got one Old Army frame left that'll go on a 357 O/Model when I figure out finally what I want to do with it.

Have fun!

Heavy lead
04-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Sliphammer may have the best solution. I've got a pm into him.