PDA

View Full Version : A Problem with the Cruise Missle in 6.5x55

pilot
04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I finally got around to trying the Cruise Missile in my Swede. At the range, I couldn't get the bolt closed on most of the rounds. I thought they were sticking in the rifling from being seated too far out. The problem turns out to be the nose of the bullet is sticking in the throat. They were plenty deep enough, but the part of the bullet ahead of the bands was too fat. What's the cure for this? Other than using different bullets.

04-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Ah, ha, the infamous Cruise Missile stikes again.

Do I recall correctly that a member was nose sizing it, as well as conventionally?

Regards "Other than using different bullets." Lyman's 266469, a Loverin design, is a proven winner.

pilot
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Ah, ha, the infamous Cruise Missile stikes again.

Do I recall correctly that a member was nose sizing it, as well as conventionally?

Regards "Other than using different bullets." Lyman's 266469, a Loverin design, is a proven winner.

Thanks, I'll check on that one.

geargnasher
04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I nose size, and partial size the first two bands, after I chopped a driving band off the mould so the boolit would fit better. Apparently none of the moulds made since the very first run will even remotely fit the Swede chambers since the whole thing is at least .003" oversized, including the nose.

Check out BRP moulds, he makes what he calls a 268469 just for the Swede, and it has been tested by the best in the business with regard to military Swedes and proven good.

Gear

Dutchman
04-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Lyman 266673 will beat 266469 any day of the week. So far I've not shot anything better than 266673.

The ~late~ manufactured cruise missile mold is about useless in the Swede.

What's the best 50 yd accuracy anybody has gotten with 266469 - 268469 or the cruise missile?

geargnasher - you forgot to have your mold blessed by a witch doctor :). Seems you've done everything else. But you're right. My cruise missile mold is .272" in the body. Worthless to me that way. Why waste the time when I can get 5 into 1 hole with 266673 @ 50 yds?

Dutch

pilot
04-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks, I had no idea the newer molds were problematic. I'll try the Lyman instead.

Are there any rifles the CM mold will work for? I tried it with two of my Swedes and neither would chamber the round.

madsenshooter
04-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Take a look in the vendor sales section, NOE has a 160gr 6.5 boolit they're selling now. Oops, sorry, sold out!

geargnasher
04-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I had no idea the newer molds were problematic. I'll try the Lyman instead.

Are there any rifles the CM mold will work for? I tried it with two of my Swedes and neither would chamber the round.

Really, REALLY you should consider getting one from BRP, Lyman is a gamble at best. I traded some 266673s to another member for some 266469s, his mould had "Lyman Syndrome", which is a problem with the cavity halves being shifted, which makes a very out-of-round boolit. The other thing is that the BRP mould will cast a bit larger, and this is a good thing for the Swedes which like a fatter boolit than standard 6.5mms do.

Speaking of guns that like fatter boolits, the Carcano is reputed to do well with the Cruise Missile, I've mailed a few of my cut-down ones out to be tried in such and the reports were good, but the 6.5mm gas checks might be a tad small. The only issue with the CM in the Carcano is the throats are generally shorter than the Swedes, so much of the boolit has to be inside the case in order to chamber them if you don't use shorter boolits.

Gear

45 2.1
04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
What's the best 50 yd accuracy anybody has gotten with 266469 - 268469 or the cruise missile?
Dutch

That, if answered truthfully, would start a real firestorm here of naysaying it couldn't be done. Lets say that 1/2" at one hundred yards is quite achievable by at least some of the people here. The cruise missle (the original to spec version, not the current offering from Midsouth that is out of spec) will do 1" at that distance, also by some who know what to do with it. Those procedures have already been outlined, but not followed.

6.5 mike
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Gear is right about BABore's moulds, I have both, these do very well in 3 of my swedes. I really have not wrung them out but have had very good results in 2 '96s & a 38 all with lighter loads of unique. The nose shape allows you to fit the boolit to engrave & has more then enough lube grooves. Think I'm using the bottom 4. I do have a C/M mould but from what 45 2.1 said in an earlier post mine is close to the orignal specs, just got lucky on it. It drops 0.261 on the nose just ahead of the first band, 0.2685 on the bands, & weights 177 grs naked, if that helps anyone with what they should be. Only bad thing with mine is the first one from a cold bbl will keyhole, after that everthing is fine & only if I haven't shot them in awhile. Both the '96s do this, have not tried it in the 38. :popcorn: