PDA

View Full Version : Not another One!

ColColt
04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I think a certain mold by Lyman (#358429) is totally jinxed. I tried another one today and it too drops small diameter (.355-.357) bullets. I've given up on this mold. Other than sending the first one back to Lyman I guess I'll be out of luck unless they either fix or replace it which they said they would...we'll see. On top of that, long about half an hour into casting while I let the first ones cool to measure, the left handle on the mold broke and I had to duct tape it. I ordered another set of handles from Graf and Sons for next time. This was not a lucrative day. I thought my mike may be out of zero and checked that and it was ok. I also checked some known diameter bullets and they were as they should be. The 429421 unsized bullets miked at .432" and the 454424 miked at .455-456". So, it's not the measuring equipment but that sorry Lyman mold.

geargnasher
04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Not to be rude to either you or Lyman, but I told ya so!

Try the Lee SWC design, or even the RF bevel-base, both excellent designs and IME cast what they should cast.

If you want a GUARANTEE, pony up and buy a custom mould from Accurate Molds. If you want CLOSE, buy a cherry-cut mould from BRP, NOE, or others.

Gear

Firebricker
04-23-2011, 04:33 PM
My 429421 is the only current production Lyman mould I own that does not drop undersized. All the others do I'm done with Lyman moulds. There is no way they don't know about the problem they just don't care. It drives me crazy because I like their 4-cav moulds and a lot of their designs. And it has become common knowledge that if you send it back your going to get the same undersized mould back in a few weeks with a nice note saying it's just fine with #2 alloy. FB

runfiverun
04-23-2011, 05:37 PM
lap it out.
i know it's a pain but it'll make a better mold in the long run.

ColColt
04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Not to be rude to either you or Lyman, but I told ya so!

Try the Lee SWC design, or even the RF bevel-base, both excellent designs and IME cast what they should cast.

If you want a GUARANTEE, pony up and buy a custom mould from Accurate Molds. If you want CLOSE, buy a cherry-cut mould from BRP, NOE, or others.

Gear

Yeah, I should have listened. the other mold was from a friend and it was bad, too. I have the Lee 358-158-RF mold and it's a good one...drops bullets at .360". No more Lyman's in this boy's future. I've got some good ones but that was decades ago.

And it has become common knowledge that if you send it back your going to get the same undersized mould back in a few weeks with a nice note saying it's just fine with #2 alloy.

That's not good news. Maybe I should just go ahead and send it to Erik if that's the case. I like the design but not at the price of undersized/underweight bullets. I may check out Mountain Molds and Accurate and see what they have. Lyman is cutting off their own nose and apparently don't give a hoot about customers as they once did.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-23-2011, 07:12 PM
My 429421 is the only current production Lyman mould I own that does not drop undersized. All the others do I'm done with Lyman moulds. There is no way they don't know about the problem they just don't care. It drives me crazy because I like their 4-cav moulds and a lot of their designs. And it has become common knowledge that if you send it back your going to get the same undersized mould back in a few weeks with a nice note saying it's just fine with #2 alloy. FB

if you wont to trade i have a 429421 that drops undersized boolits :bigsmyl2:
then you could have them all

ColColt
04-23-2011, 07:40 PM
if you wont to trade i have a 429421 that drops undersized boolits :bigsmyl2:
then you could have them all

Wow!! What a guy! It's sort of like holding aces and 8's.:-)

ColColt
04-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I got tired of messing around with this and decided to end the problem altogether. I ordered a 2-cavity aluminum mold from Mountain Molds. I know I'll get what I asked for now. Should have done this early on...it'll be worth the wait, designed and will be used by me.:)

montana_charlie
04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
I think a certain mold by Lyman (#358429) is totally jinxed.
Is Lyman still using cherries to cut moulds?
If so, maybe they are all undersized because they only have one cherry for the #358429.

CM

ColColt
04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Is Lyman still using cherries to cut moulds?
If so, maybe they are all undersized because they only have one cherry for the #358429.

CM

I don't know but this I know. Not only was mine undersized/underweight but so was another forum members who was gracious enough to send me his and it turned out the same way. I'm over Lyman for good. I will send it back to them as I think they should be the ones to make it right whether I use it again or not. Lyman doesn't do this by hand like they once did. They admitted that themselves a few days back when I talked with them.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
I have got a 358429 4-C drops .358+ and 168gr~170gr. Don't use it much but it is a good mould. Oh and BTW it is a new one from Lyman only about 2 or 3 years old.

ColColt
04-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I have got a 358429 4-C drops .358+ and 168gr~170gr. Don't use it much but it is a good mould. Oh and BTW it is a new one from Lyman only about 2 or 3 years old.

You got a rarity. From all I've read from others this seldom happens.

montana_charlie
04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Is it marked to indicate which cherry was used?
If ColColt knew what that mark is, he would be able to recognize a good mould if he saw one.

CM

noylj
04-24-2011, 06:19 PM
You can try a harder alloy. The higher the alloy content, the larger the cast bullet diameter. Pure lead give you the smallest diameter and the heaviest bullet.