PDA

View Full Version : Score!

zxcvbob
04-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Today was cleanup day at the range where I shoot. The range was closed and some people repaired target hangers, other picked up trash, or painted. I cleaned the bullet trap. ;) Got 5 assorted buckets of lead (very conservative estimate, 700 pounds, but it's probably more than that.) Another guy got about 100#, and we ran out of buckets -- there's about 100# left shoveled into a pile in the front corner for whoever wants it (probably me, next time I shoot indoors there :grin: ) Very few bullet jackets, this is mostly all lead with bits of rubber and paper mixed in

All my clothes including my shoes are in the washer right now. And I'm trying to figure out how to unload the truck... I don't think I can lift the 5 gallon bucket out. The other 4 are smaller.

Defcon-One
04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Great score! I love free stuff.

Take your time. Don't try to muscle it, it is NOT worth it. Get help or scoop it into smaller containers and move them one at a time.

Freightman
04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Do what I did had a five gallon bucket of Range scrap, put it in a little at a time, so I had a short wooden ammo crate and sit it where it would catch the lead and turned over the bucket 1/2 went into the box and 1/2 stayed in the bucket. Now I can move it. By the way it is a conservative est. as my bucket weighed 220 and that was only one.

Hardcast416taylor
04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Definately get help! I used to be the guy that cleaned the indoor bullet traps for just short of 8 years, usually by myself. We only had 12 stations in our old building - it only seemed like 100 when I was cleaning the traps. I would dig and screen the traps then rearrange the sand bullet trap add fresh sand where needed along with dust retardent and finally put the lead into a wheel barrow to be moved to a spot where it could be gotten by members. Amazing how many wanted the lead, but not want to do the labor involved in getting it. Strange how after I left that club that they couldn`t find anybody that would dig the traps more than once?Robert

zxcvbob
04-23-2011, 06:45 PM
This trap didn't have any sand (it used to, years ago) so all I had to do was scrape it into a pile and shovel it out. Still a lot of work! The hardest part was getting the buckets up the stairs.

I got the 5 gallon and the 2 gallon buckets unloaded. Put lids on the others so they won't get rained in, and they can stay in the truck for a few days. I scooped about 15 pounds out of the 5g and started that melting. Then scooped a little out at a time and transfered it to a bucket in the garage until it was light enough that I could wrestle it down without hurting myself.

I may need to splurge on a proper rendering pot and turkey burner -- melting this down on an electric hotplate is going to take a while (not that I'm in a hurry)

mold maker
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Fellows, I used to do it that way also. Now I have a crane on the back that has an electric winch. Just hook the cable to the bucket and push the button. Swing it on/off the truck and I'm done.
Don't let a bunch of free lead cost you, your back. I used to be young and bullet proof once, but now I'm older and much smarter.

alfloyd
04-23-2011, 08:01 PM
"Don't let a bunch of free lead cost you, your back."

I know what you are talking about, the weight in a 5 gal bucket.
I got about 1200 lbs of lead fron the indoor 22 range this winter.
After I got it all moved, smelted into ingots and put away I then got my hernia repaired. :(
Now I will take it very easy for a few weeks.
So be very careful with the weight in a bucket of lead. It can get you very fast and bad.

Lafaun

Centaur 1
04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Since it's in a truck I have an idea for you. Get a big piece of cardboard and tip the buckets over onto the cardboard. Lift the buckets out when they're lighter, then shovel the lead out of the truck.

Swede44mag
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
I used to use an engine hoist. Haven't gotten any 5 gal buckets of lead in over 20 years.

zxcvbob
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I used to be young and bullet proof once, but now I'm older and much smarter.I'm at that awkward age between older and smarter. :-?

man.electric
04-23-2011, 11:06 PM
I have been considering getting something like this to save lifting buckets:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-1647.html

I have about 900 pounds in the bed of my truck right now that is waiting for my back to heal up before I try to unload it.

alfloyd
04-24-2011, 04:28 AM
I think that this one will be better.:)
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html

Lafaun

man.electric
04-24-2011, 07:21 AM
I think that this one will be better.:)
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html

Lafaun

I think that either one would suffice, but I usually take the cheaper option whenever possible. :(

canyon-ghost
04-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Nothing wrong at all with splitting the contents of the bucket, I'd rather lift half a bucketful than a full one!

*Paladin*
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Nothing wrong at all with splitting the contents of the bucket, I'd rather lift half a bucketful than a full one!

Yup. I always take a few buckets so I only have to lift, at the most, half a bucket into the bed of my truck. But, I do like those cranes from Harbor Freight. One of those would be nice!

man.electric
04-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I am going to take a trip over to my local China Freight this week and pick one up. I know that I will have to fabricate some brackets, but at most I lift 200 pound buckets and they should do a good job. Reviews on HF's site mentioned people lifting engines with them so they should hold up decent enough for lead and buckets of tin.

I lift enough tools and parts for our trencher in and out of my truck that one of those cranes will see a lot of use in my Chevy. It's about time that worked smarter instead of harder.