PDA

View Full Version : LNL initial comments

04-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Set up was fairly easy. The included dvd helped but, was from the previous model that did not have the EZject system(momentary confusion). The thing that took the longest was making the raised bench mount (thanks S391). The timing was a hair off but, was easily adjusted per the directions in the manual.

It took me a while to get used to the rythm of the press( my first progressive), and and feel of the priming mechanism. After about 100 rounds of 40's, I was cookn'!

Switched to 45's (took maybe 10 minutes, including powder adjustment)...had an ejection issue. The shell would get caught between the shell and subplate. I e-mailed tech support...they responded in about 3 minutes!..asked a few question and wanted to send out a subplate. I asked for them to wait since I suspected some of my brass, and may have been associated with a particular head stamp. Tried again that evening. No failures at all in 250 rounds. I'll chalk the initial problem up to operator error. (Also, that Federal brass with the small primer sure is a PITA!!)

This press fits my needs perfectly. For roughly $400, you cank crank out 300+(?) rounds per hour (more drinking time on reloading night!). Tech support was "Johnny on the spot".

I rate it as a BUY.

cowboy
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Howdy-
I have to agree, but then, I'm a little biased due to past experience.
I got a LNL of the latest configuration ( like yours) after one of my TWO "Pro-Jector" presses finally gave up the ghost, and replacement parts are no longer available ( had actually bought that one used; still have up and running the one I bought new back in the late 1980's) . Had two as it was a PITA to switch primer sizes on the older style press, and get everything adjusted "just so".
While setting up the LNL, it was clearly apparent where Hornady had sought to improve the breed. Love the new priming system= most similar to that seen on a Blue press 650. DITTO on the ejection problem w SOME .45 ACP brass ( most of which is well used) - have infrequent hiccups w .45 Schofield brass, due to some variation in rim diameter.
Did have to adjust the timing just a bit, as you did. Had a BUNCH of shellplates from the Pro Jectors , all converted to the current configuration at nominal cost. ( they know how to keep a customer- make it silly expensive to switch! ). Customer service is ( still) great!
Got what I wanted, and then some!

buck1
04-24-2011, 12:33 AM
About a year ago Hornady rebuilt my projector press and for free.

StaTiK
04-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Howdy-
Love the new priming system= most similar to that seen on a Blue press 650.

How is it similar to the 650 priming system? The 650 uses the rotating circular disk to transfer from the tube to the priming station. If anything I would say the LNL is most like the 550 since they both use a shuttle.

-StaTiK-