PDA

View Full Version : You know you have been in the sticks to long: When

gray wolf
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
6 AM Sat. morning sleeping and enjoying it. Dogs start to bark like crazy,
Julie yelling out. Me, one eye closed with the other eye on my 45, and half my head under the blanky. What the %$#@&*#@! is going on? I'm not finished sleeping yet.
Look, Look, look at what? Window over my head and the dogs are trying to eat the glass out of it. Slime and slobber all over. There's a moose looking in the window, look, look. There's a moose with his nose against the window.[smilie=w:
Sooooo, for this you wake me up? :confused:
Unfocused on the 45 and back to sleep, but no, Bark, bark, bark.:(
Well anyway the dog's get an A+ for doing there job. I can take a nap this afternoon.
Got to thinking there was a time I would have tripped over the table trying to get to my camera, and stayed near the window for an hour :popcorn:
Got up and thought to myself, self you been in the
country/sticks/bush to long.

Digger
04-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Now it you could train the moose to show up at the right time every morning ........
heck of a alarm clock ,:bigsmyl2:
besides , you haven't been there long enough yet .. he was just checking out the new guy on the block...;)

runfiverun
04-23-2011, 12:33 PM
mmmm yummmy moose.

badgeredd
04-23-2011, 01:13 PM
The only way I'd feel I'd been in the sticks too long would be if my area became urbanized.

Edd

gray wolf
04-23-2011, 03:28 PM
urbanized.???

=Oh no time to move.

Thumbcocker
04-23-2011, 05:22 PM
You have been in the sticks too long if the moose starts looking cute.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-23-2011, 06:47 PM
When you think that the bathroom is the back of the house.

Geraldo
04-24-2011, 10:13 AM
The only way I'd feel I'd been in the sticks too long would be if my area became urbanized.

We live in a very populated area, but we are between A) a large savannah that is currently protected area and B) the river. We've got gators, coyotes, hogs, bobcats and a variety of other things that walk, crawl, and fly.

BOOM BOOM
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
HI,
When you come out of the sticks, look around, turn around & go back. Nah that might just be common sense.:Fire::Fire:

stubshaft
04-24-2011, 10:27 PM
When you start calling the outhouse the "guest" room.

DCM
04-24-2011, 10:40 PM
If you think you have been in the sticks too long just go visit one of the many urban cesspools across the nation I'm pretty sure you will change your mind in a hurry.

FISH4BUGS
04-25-2011, 06:10 AM
......If the stars and the sun and the moon all line up properly, my GF and I will be buying the farmhouse she is in currently. It is out in the sticks, 25 miles inland from seacoast NH. 400 acres on side side and 400 acres across the street in conservation. Rural setting. Farmland pasture and woods all around.
Turkeys, bear, moose, coyotes, etc. (I hit a deer the other day with my car - why they jump out in front of the car I will never know) ....you name it we have it.
I am moving from living right downtown (complete with drunks and loud Harleys) in a 25,000 population to 2,000 population in the sticks.
I can't wait!

kyswede
04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a gravel driveway, a TV antenna on a pole and have to have water hauled for my cistern. But I can stand on my front porch and shoot any gun I own any day of the week. It is a matter of priorities. When I die my wife will probably sell this place and move near a mall.
kyswede

gnoahhh
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I like it both ways. The "sticks" obviously for all of things that soothe my soul: flora and fauna,wild rivers, babbling brooks. The urban area where I live (Baltimore-Annapolis-Washington, D.C.) for the cultural aspects that stimulate my soul: Theater, museums, gallerys, pretty women, bars, restaurants and people (the vast majority of whom, believe it or not, aren't gang bangers, muggers and rapists). I'm fortunate in that I have all of that at my finger tips, not to mention the Chesapeake Bay literally at my door step, and the mountains a 1 1/2hr. drive away.

If I lived permanently out in the "sticks" I would go bat-**** in about 3 months. I know, I lived that way for 6 years. I heated with wood and hauled water, and had chickens free-ranging my yard. If I never see another chain saw or a bucket, or have to smell chicken poop, it'll be too soon for me!

Mossy Nugget
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I have a gravel driveway, a TV antenna on a pole and have to have water hauled for my cistern. But I can stand on my front porch and shoot any gun I own any day of the week. It is a matter of priorities. When I die my wife will probably sell this place and move near a mall.
kyswede

:redneck: I have killdeer nesting in the middle of my driveway, deer in the front yard, wabbits out back. I'll know I have been in these sticks too long when neighbours start trying to tell me how to live. Then a bit further out would be in order!

gray wolf
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
I go off the mountain once a month to food shop, Farmington Maine or Rumford,
These are not very big towns but they have stop lights and stop signs, also people that get closer than 10 feet to me, I hate it.
I bitch about it here in the boonies but I rush to get home. I will stay here.

Buddy
04-28-2011, 11:34 AM
I,ve definately been in the sticks tooooo long when the brooks start babbling. Now the wife she babbles a little but that just helps to break the silence now and again when the critters are bedded down.

pdawg_shooter
04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I moved out 25mi from a town of 25000 to get away from people. Especially those who work in our 2 packing houses and the ones they bring with them.

Mal Paso
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
I was driving down a dirt road yesterday. I must have felt something but it wasn't enough to remember. Without taking any attention away from the road I picked a Tick off the back of my neck and dropped it out the window. I did not realize what I was doing until I had let go of the Tick.... This thread was my first thought.:roll:

mroliver77
06-17-2011, 01:29 AM
I am not in the sticks but it is a rural county of 25,000. Gunfire does not even turn a head. I pee off the porch when I feel like it, shoot critters out of the garden from the porch or window. Still too many people for me and civilizations rules are moving in more every day. :(
Jay

gray wolf
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Here in Oquossoc we have about 200 people that are full time residents ( to many )
In the summer perhaps 600--Rangeley is about 12 miles from us and there it's about 1,500
When I forget I am a gentlemen--I pee off the deck also.

3006guns
06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
I had the same setup for years..........80 acres of privacy with a house I built myself. Made all the "newbie" mistakes but learned from them. Cut firewood, drilled wells, solar power, etc. It taught me fierce independence and a scornful attitude towards "flatlanders" and yeah, I could pee off my porch too.

Then came the divorce.

Now I'm living in a typical suburban house in a small town of 3500. I can't pee off the porch but I can drive to a good local shooting range (or the desert) and I have a thermostat on the wall. Too old to do it again, dammit.

Sure miss those days though.

GRUMPA
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
3006 I live now how you lived with only half the property though. But if knew then what I know now I would have made the switch 30yrs ago without looking back. Nearest town 26mi away and don't miss it one bit.

As far as being in the sticks TOO LONG, in my mind I haven't been their long enough.

3006guns
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
I envy you GRUMPA...stick with it. Keep your costs down and just enjoy the peace and quiet.

If I had to do it again I'd pick another state (probably Nevada). At that time California wasn't too bad but things have changed drastically in the last twenty years. Arizona would be a good choice too, but since the birth of my grandson my wife wouldn't leave here and I guess I wouldn't either.

gray wolf
06-17-2011, 05:03 PM
WOW !
sure glad I got some stick loving friends,and Hey--peeing off the porch has it's draw backs.
Some even say it ain't what it's cracked up to be. But hey it works for me Eh.

Von Gruff
06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
In 1982 I was in the last few years of a 12 year stint in Australia and had a 25 acrs block on a back road to another isolated comunity. Three cars a week was way to busy and I had no neighbours within 2-3 miles. I built a temporary living space of three rooms of 15ft x 15 ft with out house and outside screened bath. I could shoot as and when I wanted to and put in a 300 yd range down one side.
Put a damm wall across a gully and had a body of water up to 12 ft deep with a surface area of about 50yds by 50yds. A fortnight after it was finished we had 13 inches of rain over night so it was full to overflowing and assured us of a water supply for the gardens I started and was well on the way to starting a fruit tree nursery with enough equity in the place to start building a propper home whith what I thought was contentment untill ex decided she wanted out and it all had to go.
Home in NZ I have a 1/2 acre in a small country town of about 500 souls, a wife to cherish and a lifestyle I woul hardly want to change unless it would be a couple of extra acres. I don't pee of the porch but then it is only a short walk down the hallway to the bathroom. :grin: :grin:

Von Gruff.

chuckbuster
06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Was it Boone or Crockett that said it was time to move when you could see the smoke from your neighbors chimney?