PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Finally found a 3 screw in .45

Heavy lead
04-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Bought a three screw Blackhawk 7.5" .45 Colt this morning, haven't checked for throat sizing or slugged the barrel yet, but rifling looks perfect with little wear overall, some small holster wear at the muzzle with no rust anywhere to be found. Been looking for one of these forever. I've got 100 rounds of 454190's over 8.5 grains of Unique just ready to go. I figure if it won't shoot this boolit with that load she won't shoot nothing.
Oh and the best thing, it still has original parts, hasn't been sent back to Ruger.
Just love those 5 shooters.

9.3X62AL
04-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Congrats on the find, sir. Those don't exactly grow on trees these days. Enjoy!

runfiverun
04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
yeah, nice find.
jealous
<-----<<

Heavy lead
04-23-2011, 06:32 PM
slugged the barrel, and sized the throats, it is the tightest Ruger .45 I have. Throats are at a consistant .451 and the barrel slugs at .450, guess I'll have to get the .452 sizer out as all other .45's I have I run .454 with .4525 or in one case bigger throats.
Very nice sharp rifled clean bore. Paid $450 for it, guess that's not too bad.

keyhole
04-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Great find, Heavy Lead! If you feel like posting a photo it will give the rest of us something to drool over.
I have been looking in the Seattle area for several years at our local gunshow (usually about 600 tables) and have seen about 6 for sale. The last show a dealer had one. Asking price was $760 (plus tax, of course). The gun was about 98%. Someone had tightened some of the screws with an ill-fitting screwdriver so some of the heads were marred and the frame was slightly scored because the screwdriver tip was too wide . Otherwise, the gun was close to perfect. No box or extra cylinder. I thought it was a bit high. But, in this area they are definitely the hardest to find of the 3 screw revolver calibers.

Keyhole

sliphammer
04-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Heavy Lead, you asked about a grip frame, on another thread, whether a grip frame from a old army would work? I've heard they might but since I never tried it I don't know. The frame you have there are 2 other models will fit. The old XR3, a smaller grip, and a SBH. Years ago I tried to order parts for my old flattop and Ruger will not sell them to folks who have not had their guns converted. So, if you order parts find a S/N for an OM that's been converted and use it. Otherwise, they won't sell you a screw.

Heavy lead
04-24-2011, 01:11 PM
sliphammer, thanks for the tip.
Keyhole, I'll get some pics done later this week. Shot some this morning. The chamber also have very, very short throats, they will not accept anything sized to .452 with more than a .5" front driving band. It shot the 454190 sized to .452 just great with no leading for the 40 rounds I shot it.
Luckily I have a 300 grain mould Tom at Accurate Molds cut me with a .5 front band for a tight throated .454 I have.
Only thing I did was replaced a fairly light and worn mainspring on it. It'll be wearing some oversized Herrett's stocks next time I shoot it and plan on shooting some 300 grain loads.

Char-Gar
04-24-2011, 01:14 PM
The ROA grip frame will fit a OM Blackhawk. I fitted one to my 3 screw 357 Magnum. The only fly in the ointment, is the trigger slot in the frame. It is wider that necessary for the thinner 3 screw trigger. This can be corrected by attaching a piece of sheet brass to the top of the grip frame where it doesn't show when assembled and filing a notch in the brass to keep the trigger from wobbling side to side in the larger slot. The sheet brass will stay in place when attached with JB Weld.

Do yourself a favor and open those cylinder throats up to .4525 or .453.

9.3X62AL
04-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Do yourself a favor and open those cylinder throats up to .4525 or .453.

Maybe. I would try the 452"-sized boolits first and see how things run, and decide from there. At first blush, the example sounds like a winner. Good potential dimensioning, and the price was quite reasonable.

keyhole
04-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Thanks Heavy Lead. Will look for your photos later in the week.
I was going to recommend Numrich Gun Parts Corp. as a source of OM parts, until I looked at their website just now. About a year ago I ordered some small parts for a OM Flattop .44. Today they show almost everything SOLD OUT.
Glad you had time to put some lead through it. Good tip about the short throats. If I ever buy one I'll be aware of that.

Keyhole

Heavy lead
04-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Charger and 9.3, I may very well open it up, however the throats are uncannily consistant. I do have a set of throat reamers (all of us Ruger .45 shooters should have them) that is .4525 and have used them on all of my newer BH's that ran between .448 and .450 from the factory.
However the 30 rounds I fired today with the boolits sized to 452 worked great, not one spec of leading with the 454190 with only the bottom lube groove filled with BAC. Now this will be the plinker. I do plan on a heavier load, I'm not going to run this wonderful old gun too hot and beat it up (according to the serial number it was made when I was 3 in 1969) but I am going to load some 20,000 psi loads in it anyway for a pretty good whitetail load, and if it shoots them good without leading, I'm thinking I best leave it be.
Just love those 3 screws, have a Super I picked up for $350 a few years ago that is pristine other than it had been magnaported (growwwwwwl). It does however shoot lead ok even though one of the ports was cut through the edge of a land. I made up my mind if it caused problems I would have it cut down an inch, but so far so good with that one.
Now I have to find a .41 and a .357.:D