PDA

View Full Version : Recommend air rifle under $150

Tom-ADC
04-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Looking for a accurate air rifle that can be scoped for under $150 used mainly for pest control.

Ole
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I bought one of these many moons ago from Walmart:

http://www.airgundepot.com/392-rm.html

It will run the 14.3 grain pellets up to about 600-630fps with 8 pumps.

If you don't like the multi pump models, I heard Gamo makes good rifles for the money.

Ohio Rusty
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Currently Dunhams Sporting Goods in Ohio is running their Vantage 1200 for $99.00. It comes with a pretty nice 3 x 9 scope. It is very accurate. I can keep the shots inside of a postage stamp easily at 30+ feet.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Tom-ADC
04-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm hoping our local Big 5 will have something on sale this week end, ad comes in the morning paper.

deltaenterprizes
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I got a Daisy at Walmart with a scope for $99 a while back and did some trigger work and it does fine now.

Rocky Raab
04-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Since dropping my card at SHOT, I'm on Pyramyd Air's email list. They have a sale on some Crosman models now with a 10% off coupon

Enter code AirgunsApr22
during checkout
Coupon exp. April 27, 2011

Browse at pyramydair.com

onondaga
04-23-2011, 01:36 PM
My Daisy Powerline 822 was very inexpensive, I scoped it and the 22 cal. pellets kill squirrels/rabbits very effectively to 25 yards. The rifle groups less than 1 inch at 25 yards with Daisy Premium grade pellets. However, the pointed field grade pellets shoot all over the place. Use the target ones.

Pellet rifles in general are very sensitive to the brands of pellets used. Be sure and try as many kinds of pellets as you can no matter which rifle you get. You are bound to find one brand that your rifle really likes.

Gary

coaldust
04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Get a QB78 deluxe, less then i00.00 bucks at archerairguns.com. nThey are a good copy of the Crosman 160 in either .177 or .22 and use 2 co2 powerlets. I have one that is stock,shoots about 580fps and one that has been tuned and shoots 750fps.
Hope this helps and good luck.
I also have a .308 sir rifle that shoots a 120gr cast bullet at 950fps and I use it on hogs.
You might try Mike Mellick at Best Airguns. (not sure of his web address)

Rio Grande
04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
If you care to spend another $50 or so, there is a great deal (asking $200 plus shipping) on a older "West German" made RWS45 on another site.

I used to own one - they are a real first-class, first-world air rifle. Not Chinese "OK" air rifle.

Smoke-um if you got-um
04-23-2011, 02:01 PM
There are many under/in that price range right now. I use a .177 Gamo "Hunter" with heavy pellets called "Rockets" to bust squirrels that get into my little barn and tear everthing up. Several yrs ago I shot one and didn't kill it but broke his tail. He was like a cat, the sucker had nine lives and drove me crazy. I probably missed him a dozen times. He came around so often we started calling him "BT". A Red Tailed Hawk finally got him last summer. The "Hunter" came with a 3x9 scope that works well also. They are also a lot of fun to just plink with for little cost and noise.

Mike

Old Ironsights
04-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm going to go the other way.

IMO the best "pest control" pellet gun is the Crosman 1377 "American Classic" pump pellet pistol.

Shoots as fast - or faster - than most Rifles, has lots of accessories, has its own Forum/Modding fan club, is quicker to get into play/pack around, and is a great deal at $80 or less.

What's not to like?

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-23-2011, 08:07 PM
If you care to spend another $50 or so, there is a great deal (asking $200 plus shipping) on a older "West German" made RWS45 on another site.

I used to own one - they are a real first-class, first-world air rifle. Not Chinese "OK" air rifle.

Spend the money on an RWS if you can.
They look and feel like a real rifle,
they will hold there value.
and will shoot better than the china junk.
I own two RWS 54 (one in .177 and one in .22)
these rifles go for $600 each today.
I paid $400 each years ago.

There are cheaper RWS models...the quality is just as good.

What I like about the Model 54 is they are Recoilless.
one thing about the standard Spring-air pellet rifles is they have
a reverse recoil...They jump forward.
that is a big factor to get use to and can affect accuracy, it did for me anyway.
Also That reverse recoil will wreck a cheap
scope in no time flat, because inexpensive scopes are designed
for the centerfire rifle type of recoil only. Get an "Airgun" scope.
yes they usually cost more, but if you're not buying a high end
scope like a Leupold or similar, you'll just be wasting your money.
Jon

Tom-ADC
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I have no doubt the RWS are great rifles but they are way out of my price range and all I want to do is pop some pest.
I didn't know that about scopes I'll keep that in mind.

TCLouis
04-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Follow Rocky's advice and get yourself to Pyramid Air or Compasseco and see what they have going as they have a wide selection.

Don't forget a few shots with a springer air gun can destroy most regular scopes so go for an airgun scope. I have a few thousand rounds thru the guns I have with scopes from Compasseco.

http://www.compasseco.com/

Owned by Pyramid Air now as I understand it.

Tom-ADC
04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Here's two on sale today locally:

Gamo "Rocket" .177 @ 1250 FPS

Beeman #1051 .177 @ 1000 fps

Both are well inside my price range.

Ole
04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Here's two on sale today locally:

Gamo "Rocket" .177 @ 1250 FPS

Beeman #1051 .177 @ 1000 fps

Both are well inside my price range.

Either one of those would probably be fine.

Just understand that FPS #'s that the air rifle manufactuer's use are normally pretty optimistic.

I think Gamo uses their PBA (light/non-lead) pellets for velocity testing.

I'd rather see you use a .22 if you're shooting animals with it. I think a .22 kills more reliably than a .177. Nothing wrong with a .177 if you hit the animal in the right spot, but that's not always how it works out.

Old Ironsights
04-24-2011, 07:26 PM

I'd rather see you use a .22 if you're shooting animals with it. I think a .22 kills more reliably than a .177. Nothing wrong with a .177 if you hit the animal in the right spot, but that's not always how it works out.

True, but I've killed a bunch of critters up to cat/rabbit sized with my Crosman 1377 pistol without having to follow a crawler. (FWIW, I shot a squirrel with a .38 (low velocity lead) and had to go and pith the poor bugger... never had to do that with the .177...)

I've used it to good effect on Crows & Pigeons out to 20yds...

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Tom,
Go for the Beeman...they are quality rifles like RWS.
some gamo models are junk, some are high quality,
I haven't heard of the Rocket.

Ole,
as I said above, I have a .177 (1100 FPS)and a .22 (900 FPS) in the same model,
same power and regarding Killin' squirrels. the .177 will
kill them sooner than the 22. I only do Head shots, it saves the meat.
the .177 will enter the skull, the .22 will not.
I shoot alot of "in town" squirrels, and the ocassional
rabbit. I can't speak for other critters.

Tom-ADC
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I was going off what the ad said for rifle discription, the pest I have in mind are crow's.
If the .22 is better I'll check around for one of those.

CATS
04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Tom,
An air gun can/will tear up a cheep scope or one not made for an air rifle. A cheep scope could be used until you can get a better one. The FOV for some cheep air rifle scopes may be so narrow as to be useless. The idea about buying a tin of every type of pellet is a great idea, you will find that your rifle will hate some and love others. Find out how well your future rifle will mount a scope before you buy one, some of the mounts stink.
Good luck!
CATS

Pat I.
04-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd say go the other way completely and pick up a couple of bricks of Aquila Super Colibri for your 22. Advertised 500 fps with a 20 gr bullet and out of a rifle they're easily as quiet or quieter than an air rifle. 23 bucks a brick at CheaperThanDirt.

Tom-ADC
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I'd say go the other way completely and pick up a couple of bricks of Aquila Super Colibri for your 22. Advertised 500 fps with a 20 gr bullet and out of a rifle they're easily as quiet or quieter than an air rifle. 23 bucks a brick at CheaperThanDirt.

No I'm in the city, can't take that kind of chance..

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2011, 06:34 AM
anyone actually have air guns tear up scopes. Ive got a pump up gun and a spring piston gun and both wear blister pack walmart tasco 4x scopes and they been on them for well over 10 years and ive never had an issue with them. I hear people talk the same about muzzle loaders and havent had any more scopes fail on them then any other centerfire rifle.

scrapcan
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Lloyd,

I had a nice weaver fixed 4 power(new about 4 years ago) that had the reticle come apart and then fog over after being on an rws 36 springer. It now wears a cheap BSA air rifle scope.

A friend had a very nice leopold 4-12 VII on an rws 34 that did not fare to well and when sent in under warranty, the letter that came back said they would fix it but since it had been on a spring gun the repair would be at owners cost. The fact it was on a spring gun was not mentioned on warranty return, that makes me think it may be common and recognizeable damage.

Not much of a sample size and no real proof on the weaver as they also went through a spell where scopes were failing on centerfire rifles.

Shooter6br
04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Red dot is nice on airgun It is a cheap Tasco ($32) with crosman mounts $12[smilie=w:

Arisaka99
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
.177 is usually more accurate, bt .22 is better for hunting. Bass Pro has the Gamo Big Cat for 149 in 177 and it comes with a scope and does 1200fps. Plus there are trigger upgrades you can buy.

bearcove
04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
The spring piston break barrel guns usually shoot good.

I have a daisy it shoots 900fps with one pump of the barrel and is very accurate. Think it was about $100

Bought a crossman that pumps for the kids and it isn't as good as they used to be.