PDA

View Full Version : Which press? Corbin dies?

Chris893
04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Hello, I'm looking into swaging and I know that the initial investment will be expensive which is okay. I just don't know what to buy! I'm looking at the Corbin press that is 600 - the cheapest, and the dies that are 800 that will be good for what I'm going to do. I'm looking at swaging 9mm and .223 to start out. I read a post by someone on another forum that said they swage on a rcbs rockchucker. How probable is this or does it depend on the dies? It would save a decent chunk of change to swags on a different press. Also it seems that many people here in this community make their own dies and presses. Are any of them for sale or anything? Thanks in advance for any input or info. I'm excited to be here

ANeat
04-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Honestly look at Richard Corbins stuff. A set of dies are less than $500.00 for flat based 223 bullets and he has some of those available. And they fit his Walnut Hill press
http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=317&from=51

The press for Richards dies can be a problem. (getting one) The plans available here are made to work with Richard Corbins Walnut Hill dies.
Also the member here UpNorth sells a model of the press using the plans here. Very well done.

There is also a Walnut Hill press on ebay right now.

A reloading press can do well on the smaller bullets but I havent had as much success as others, usually you start upgradng and replacing weak or broken parts.
But many here really like the CH4d dies that BT soups up, Im not sure if he is doing a 9mm set or not

Tom R
04-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello, I'm looking into swaging and I know that the initial investment will be expensive which is okay. I just don't know what to buy! I'm looking at the Corbin press that is 600 - the cheapest, and the dies that are 800 that will be good for what I'm going to do. I'm looking at swaging 9mm and .223 to start out. I read a post by someone on another forum that said they swage on a rcbs rockchucker. How probable is this or does it depend on the dies? It would save a decent chunk of change to swags on a different press. Also it seems that many people here in this community make their own dies and presses. Are any of them for sale or anything? Thanks in advance for any input or info. I'm excited to be here

I have a set of rcbs 223 dies on ebay right now. they fit standard reloading press's. They worked great for me.

Chris893
04-23-2011, 10:35 AM
So I'm better off buying a press that was designed for swaging... I'll look into a walnut hill press and the dies from corbin will fit this press? The press I was going to get from Corbin was the csp1 I believe

Bullshop
04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I would like to add a question if I may. Who besides R. Corbin makes dies that will fit the Walnut Hill press?
I did get a press from Richard but have given up on getting anything else from him. Now I have a press but no die sets for it. Of the dies I ordered from him all I got is a core swage die for 22/6mm.
He has got to be the most undependable business it has ever been my displeasure to deal with. He does make good tools but that is not much help.

ReloaderFred
04-23-2011, 11:29 AM
For handgun bullets an RCBS Rockchucker will work just fine. I made .38 and 9mm bullets on mine for years before buying my big Hollywood Sr. press for that purpose. For those calibers, and .41 and .44 bullets, I prefer the C-H dies, since they're easier to use. I have a couple of sets of Corbin dies in .357 and I really don't like them. The ejection system needs a lot of improvement in my opinion. You shouldn't have to beat on a die to get the bullet out, and deform it in the process. Some may consider this sacrilege to say anything bad about a Corbin product, but I've used them both side by side. The fit and finish on Corbin's dies are first rate, but the design (and price) leave something to be desired.

I have bullet ejectors on all my C-H dies and all I do is raise the handle and the bullet pops out in my hand. It takes about as long as reading this sentence to eject the finished bullet. There may be a way to attach a bullet ejector to the Corbin dies, but it would be a little more complicated and the ejector pin on the dies I have is really thin, so I would worry about breaking it.

The fit and finish isn't as good on the C-H dies as the Corbins, but the price is about half, too. BT will improve the C-H dies for you, if you desire.

I've never swaged .224 bullets, since I've still got about a double lifetime supply that I purchased back when I had my FFL and prices were actually reasonable. I would imagine it takes less effort in a press to swage that small amount of lead and copper, so they should be easier to swage than larger handgun bullets, but that's just a WAG on my part.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ccook23
04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I would like to add a question if I may. Who besides R. Corbin makes dies that will fit the Walnut Hill press?
I did get a press from Richard but have given up on getting anything else from him. Now I have a press but no die sets for it. Of the dies I ordered from him all I got is a core swage die for 22/6mm.
He has got to be the most undependable business it has ever been my displeasure to deal with. He does make good tools but that is not much help.

I dont think anyone else does, but I think he sells an adapter so that you can use the dies the other Corbins make - his brothers outfit. Maybe you you can call the other Corbin and see if they will make you an adapter. I bet they would.

I also have the Walnut Hill press from Richard and I must be lucky because I havent had any issues with him, but Ive hear so many complaints its not funny.

Clint

ANeat
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Like Clint mentioned juat about any dies can be made to fit, Different adapters are available or even the dies designed for a standard reloading press can be used.

Personally Ive had mixed results dealing with Richard getting stuff (time) but the stuff I get is real nice (when I get it)

Chris893
04-23-2011, 06:53 PM
For handgun bullets an RCBS Rockchucker will work just fine. I made .38 and 9mm bullets on mine for years before buying my big Hollywood Sr. press for that purpose. For those calibers, and .41 and .44 bullets, I prefer the C-H dies, since they're easier to use. I have a couple of sets of Corbin dies in .357 and I really don't like them. The ejection system needs a lot of improvement in my opinion. You shouldn't have to beat on a die to get the bullet out, and deform it in the process. Some may consider this sacrilege to say anything bad about a Corbin product, but I've used them both side by side. The fit and finish on Corbin's dies are first rate, but the design (and price) leave something to be desired.

I have bullet ejectors on all my C-H dies and all I do is raise the handle and the bullet pops out in my hand. It takes about as long as reading this sentence to eject the finished bullet. There may be a way to attach a bullet ejector to the Corbin dies, but it would be a little more complicated and the ejector pin on the dies I have is really thin, so I would worry about breaking it.

The fit and finish isn't as good on the C-H dies as the Corbins, but the price is about half, too. BT will improve the C-H dies for you, if you desire.

I've never swaged .224 bullets, since I've still got about a double lifetime supply that I purchased back when I had my FFL and prices were actually reasonable. I would imagine it takes less effort in a press to swage that small amount of lead and copper, so they should be easier to swage than larger handgun bullets, but that's just a WAG on my part.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thank you, this helps a lot. I like to hear both sides before deciding and this is what I needed. I think I'm going to go with the RCBS until it either breaks or I need to upgrade to something else since the RCBS is about a fourth of the price. Would I need adapters for the dies?

MIBULLETS
04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
One thing to remember before you choose...With a reloading press you are somewhat confind with dies and calibers. Pistol bullets and smaller rifle bullets are the norm for reloading presses. For the most part, if you want anything else you are out of luck.

However, BT Sniper on this site is working on dies to do that. I think there may still be some limitations. You may be working your press very close to it's limits, where with a swaging press, you generally have more leverage and no need for the cheeter bar on the handle.

All depends on your needs and what you see yourself doing with it in the future. Both sides have their pros and cons. With the calibers you listed, 9mm and .223, a reloading press may be just fine, but don't expect to try to make 50 cal bullets.

ReloaderFred
04-23-2011, 09:26 PM
The upside of the Rockchucker is it has a lifetime warranty. If you do ever break it, RCBS will replace it free of charge.

Hope this helps.

Fred

michiganvet
06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
ANeat; I got my press and .224 dies in the early 80's when the bros were still together. Took a year to get it after I had paid.