PDA

View Full Version : Well, it wasn't a 340, but......

Lawyerman
12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I found an interesting little Savage rifle today and the price and caliber was right so I own another "project" gun. Pawn shop had a Savage model 170 in .35 Remington. The rifle is in pretty good condition though the stock could stand refinishing and the slip on recoil pad has got to go-need to search through my box of recoil pads for something close and will add one when I do the stock.

It has an older Burris 4x scope on it, for $125 tax and all I couldn't say no. If I recall right they made these in carbines too, this one is a 22" model though I may have it cut to 18" to make it a little handier. Should be an interesting little rifle to play with.

Uncle R.
12-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I think you did very well for yourself on that deal. My guess is you're gonna like that rifle a lot.

KCSO
12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
I was talking to Doc the other day about some of the cheap rifles, 340, 840, 788 ect. We noted that what we thought in the 60's was botom of the line is no stacking up as top notch gunmaking. We were looking at a 340 all steel nice walnut stock made in 1955. The gun had a 3 pound trigger pull and was drilled and tapped for a peep sight and cost $38.50 new. Now you need to pay over $300 to get a rifle with a plastic stock, plastic trigger guard and a 6 pound trigger pull. Oh Boy, progress!

Lawyerman
12-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Yea, I probably need to go back there today as they had a Remington 760 there that was cheap. It was a very early gun 1950's, had the early style foreend. It was in probably 98% condition, beautiful old gun, no rust or blue thinning, great wood. It was a .300 Savage, had a vintage Weaver k6 on it. They were asking $265 for it and I probably could get it for $250 out the door.

They also have a 1903 Springfield, home sporterized though a decent job done, that will come out in a week or so and it will be cheap, $200 or less anyway. It has a Fajen stock on it, Redfield rings and bases, cheap Japanese off brand scope, barrel is well crowned and probably 24", very clean bore. I don't really need another "bumming" gun though.....

I go through phases. I will accumulate a pile of "working" guns, play with them for awhile and then get to thinking, "Why do I have all these? Do I need 7 "loaner" deer rifles? " "I could sell these and get something really nice, like the CZ 527 I have been eyeing or a new Rem. 700 CDL in .35 Whelen". So, the pile of "using" guns goes off to the gunshow and I get a couple of shiny new ones to replace them.....then I hit the pawn shops and find some scruffy looking users in need of TLC and it starts all over again. A few survive the purges for whatever reason, always good to have some utility guns around.

Ranch Dog
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Lawyerman... that is a good find for a fine rifle. I wanted one when they had come out but never got one. Two years ago, I found a NIB (without the box but with tags) 170B. I bought it in a heartbeat. I haven't shot it yet as I've been saving it for my special order Lee TLC359-180-RF that I just worked through my 336D.

I slugged the barrel last week in prepping this rifle for the cast boolit work and was suprized to find this rifle's barrel and chamber was almost indentical to that of my 336D. A fish sinker through the length of the barrel measured .3585" and the throat will require my boolit/cartridge to be seated to an OAL of 2.34". That's good, that is how I designed it. I will have to wait to shoot it as all my boolits have been loaded for the 336D and it's 18.5" barrrel and this would be quite a bit overpressure for the 22" of my 170B. I won't have another casting session after the first of the year.

I wish I could figure out how many of the 35 Rem are out there... how many of the short barrels and how many of the long barrels. I'm a Marlin guy but this is one rifle I've alway thought I would like to own.

9.3X62AL
12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
L-man......

You noticed those CDL's in 35 Whelen, eh? While I am very pleased with my CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62, had those CDL's in that caliber been available at the time I bought the CZ......I would have chosen the Remmer. The guy I deer hunted with this fall has a CDL in 30-06, and it is one gorgeous, classic bolt rifle.

Lawyerman
12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't think they made any 170's in .35 in the carbine length. I have never seen one-not that you see alot of them and all the Gun value books say only .30-30 in the carbine. So, I will probably cut mine down. This one will actually stay around as I am a .35 caliber nut, the lesser calibers in using guns will find other homes eventually but I have never gotten rid of a .35 of any kind. This one is a neat little, rarely seen gun.

Yea, those CDL's are pretty. I am a Remington guy, period and that is about as fine a rifle as they have made in a long while. They are pretty proud of them, well all of them these days except for the Synthetic ADL's. Those they about give away. I need to clean some "users" up for the next gunshow.

500bfrman
12-15-2006, 03:52 PM
We were looking at a 340 all steel nice walnut stock made in 1955. The gun had a 3 pound trigger pull and was drilled and tapped for a peep sight and cost $38.50 new. Now you need to pay over $300 to get a rifle with a plastic stock, plastic trigger guard and a 6 pound trigger pull. Oh Boy, progress!

I hear you about paying more for less. But, I think that those 38 dollars in 1955 were probably a little harder to come by than 38 of todays dollars.

hpdrifter
12-15-2006, 06:47 PM
................I go through phases. I will accumulate a pile of "working" guns, play with them for awhile and then get to thinking, "Why do I have all these? Do I need 7 "loaner" deer rifles? " "I could sell these and get something really nice, like the CZ 527 I have been eyeing or a new Rem. 700 CDL in .35 Whelen". So, the pile of "using" guns goes off to the gunshow and I get a couple of shiny new ones to replace them.....then I hit the pawn shops and find some scruffy looking users in need of TLC and it starts all over again. A few survive the purges for whatever reason, always good to have some utility guns around.

Think of it as an interesting lay-a-way plan.:twisted:

Lawyerman
12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
You know that's really part of it. The money in my "gun fund" always seems to find it's way someplace else. If I buy the guns and fix on them a little I can usually put three or so of the "projects" together and get what I have my eye one. They don't usually get away until I am ready to buy something so it works out better.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
the thing I like the most about the 35W in the remington is the 16" twist. It will be perfect for the old RCBS 35200FN boolit.

Rich

Bret4207
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Aw man! A 170 in 35 Rem? I have to admit thats one I've never seen. The kid across the road has a 170 30WCF I think about buying once in a while. They were handy guns.

Local shop has a Savage Model 40 in 30-06. This was the fore runner to the 340 series. Quite a value for the $$, but gad, they are ugly.

Wish I knew whaere all the 22 Hornet 340's I used to see went. I'd pay good money for a decent one, assuming I had any money....