PDA

View Full Version : Any input on a good Case tumbler?

FN in MT
04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Apparently they don't make things like they used to! My 20+ year old Lyman 1200 Vibratory tumbler has finally given up the ghost. Only after tens of thousands of hours of use too!

I need a tumbler with enough room for pistol brass....though I do occasionally do .223 too.

Any suggestions?? Dillons large tumbler looks like it would fill the bill. Any input on the dillons?

FN in MT

L1A1Rocker
04-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I've been running a big Dillon since about 94. It's still running.

04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I suspect they are all made by one company, just different logos applied. Get the brand and model that offers the largest bowl at a price you like.

winelover
04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Tumbler's Tumbler Model B. Only thing that ever needs replacing is the O-ring drive belt. Had mine going on 35 years.

Winelover

NVcurmudgeon
04-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Berry's is a new "face" in the tumbler business. I have one of theirs and so far like it. it holds 600 .45 ACP or 1,000 9 Luger. The bowl is wider and shallower than the previous Midway that lived here for six years, and seems somewhat handier to me. I like also the transparent lid and the hand-filling knob that contains the lid nut. their machine seems quieter, but I may not be fair comparing a new machine to the last days of the old Midway. Their warranty is a year or two on the motor and forever on the plastic. They say all their stuff is American. Berry's has sold brass and plastic cartridge boxes for years. I got a Federal primer tray capable flipper at the same time and like that too. They had a special for free shipping on orders over a certain value last year but I don't know about now.

scb
04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Tumbler's Tumbler Model B. Only thing that ever needs replacing is the O-ring drive belt. Had mine going on 35 years.

Winelover

+1 especially if you think you might ever want to try ceramic media. The stuff works great inside and out.

cajun shooter
04-23-2011, 10:54 AM
In a way, tumblers are like fishing tackle boxes. You end up with several that work for one type of fishing but will not suffice for another, so it's off to the store again. I will say that if you have the money and do a lot of shooting then the first should be the model B Thumbler's Tumblers. It will allow you to clean cases that are fired with Black Powder and may be cleaned with ceramic and a cleaner with water. They have two models and you should purchase the high speed model. For cleaning smokeless cases in a corn cob, ground walnut, cat litter then the vibrate type will work fine. Again I have a UB-18 that is over 15 years old and still working. It is also made by Thumbler's. For cheaper cleaning and not heavy use I have a off brand vibrate type of tumbler. That gives me three. Now my brass cleaning tumblers are still behind my tackle boxes they are gaining ground.

RP
04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Well I can tell you dont get a Smart Reloader brand. I have used them and three have failed one was replaced but failed. The price is right if you dont have much brass and only run it for a few hours a month.

birdadly
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
My Lyman 1200 is working well; bought it 2 weeks ago, about 2,000 rounds cleaned so far and am happy. It's my first one ever, fitting about 300 45's in at a time. It's a little louder than I had hoped, but now I plan on running it in the garage, probably basement during winter.

bobthenailer
04-23-2011, 08:09 PM
I have 2- lortin lapidary rock/case tumblers a #6 & #12 size and a smaller capacity dillon vibratory case cleaner . im satisfied with all but ive been useing the #6 lortin for over 35 years as it was my only tool for over 25 years . the dillon is about 10 years old and the #12 lortin i picked up used about 2 years ago. the only repair on all 3 was a drive belt on the #6

cowboy
04-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Howdy-
I have the BIG Dillon tumbler; it is a peach, does everything you could ask.
Bought originally back in the late 1980's, and their Lifetime no BS warranty is just that- When it needed a new motor, I called, and they sent one at no charge, not even shipping. When the hardware to hold down the lid needed to be replaced, and there had been a design change, they replaced the whole tumbler. No BS, no mush mouthing, no "we longer service that version". Now that I live in the Phoenix area, (West Central FL, previously) they are literally a pleasant drive from my home- and stock many things that I'd buy on line otherwise.
Gotta love them.:drinks:

troyboy
04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I had the rcbs and now have a lyman and a frankfort arsenal. I like the Lyman best.

Beagler
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Have 2 RCBS tumblers have no problem with'em

Muddy Creek Sam
04-23-2011, 08:49 PM
When I grow up, I'm gonna get a big Thumbler, for my BP Brass.

Sam :D

Ziptar
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Ronco! (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113964) :-P

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
I still say "Go Big Blue!" That lifetime, no BS warranty is hard to beat. Mine will be eleven this summer. Fill it half full of brass, top off with media and a couple squirts of the cleaner, flip switch on, go in the house and read SGN for a couple hours. OR, walk about twenty feet into the loading room and crank the handle on some blue.

I like simple...

Rich

Lloyd Smale
04-25-2011, 06:35 AM
dillon doesnt have a lifetime warantee on there electrical gear like tumblers. Ive got a big dillon a lyman and a frankfort arsonal. Ive owned one other frankfort arnesonal 2 other lymans and one small and one large dillon. Heres my take on it. Reliability wize its a toss up. Ive had the cheap ones last along time and **** out fast and i can say the same about the more expensive ones. I love my big dillon because of its capasity. But if i could only own one it would be a lyman of some sorts. the lymans have the most energetic vibrating action by a good ammount and clean brass much quicker. Ive never owned an rcbs so i cant say much about them but if a warantee is high on your prioritys it may be the one to look at as nobody backs stuff like rcbs does.

Daywalker
04-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I have the Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum, without the sifting option, and I have to say I enjoy it. Visitors to my reloading room enjoy it as well since we can converse without having to yell it is that quiet. It will hold 1000 9mm cases and so forth. IMO it is a beast. I have ran it on accident for 2 days straight and it shows no signs of slowing down. If I ever have to replace this one, it will be with another Lyman 2500 pro magnum..

doulos
04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
In a way, tumblers are like fishing tackle boxes. You end up with several that work for one type of fishing but will not suffice for another, so it's off to the store again. I will say that if you have the money and do a lot of shooting then the first should be the model B Thumbler's Tumblers. It will allow you to clean cases that are fired with Black Powder and may be cleaned with ceramic and a cleaner with water. They have two models and you should purchase the high speed model. For cleaning smokeless cases in a corn cob, ground walnut, cat litter then the vibrate type will work fine. Again I have a UB-18 that is over 15 years old and still working. It is also made by Thumbler's. For cheaper cleaning and not heavy use I have a off brand vibrate type of tumbler. That gives me three. Now my brass cleaning tumblers are still behind my tackle boxes they are gaining ground.

Ive had a thumbler for over 10 years. They will do it all. and with any media you choose. Wet or dry. And they are QUIET