PDA

View Full Version : Is it mine?

legi0n
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
the boolit not whatever you were thinking :mrgreen:

I've been secretly hoping to find my cast bullets in the berms at the range. It didn't happen. Until today... maybe...

http://members.shaw.ca/le_r0umain/recovered_3.jpg

I recovered the bullet on the right. Is it mine?
The one on the left is a Lee 358-158-RF with a plain-base gas-check, 18BHN sized .359"

pros:
the height is pretty much the same
the number of grooves matches my 0.357 GP100
the lack of lube is consistent to my using a rather soft lube
the lands engraving at the top are wider than at the bottom (consistent with a heavy load of 15gr Alliant 2400 -> 1400fps from a 6" barrel)

cons:
the "band" above the crimp groove is way wider on the recovered bullet.
the gas check shank seems shorter (gas checks I use are 0.01")

what do you think?

RobS
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
What alloy were you using? I ask because if you were using soft alloy then it's very likely to be yours. The wider rifle engraving at the nose of the boolits could very likely be due to the softer alloy skidding at the lands a bit and the wider front drive band is also the after math of a soft alloy with a heavy charge as the force from the back of the bullet (powder/expanding gases) will place enough stress on the nose of the boolits as it hits the forcing cone/barrel throat that it will deform. I've seen a softer alloyed Keith pushed hard that look like the boolit on the right.

legi0n
04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
It's a home-brew alloy with a 19BHN hardness.
Don't really know what's in it.
I just use 1 part ship ballast and 2 parts down-rigger balls.

RobS
04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Well 19 BHN is fairly hard alloy to be seeing the characteristics in the photo but it isn't impossible. You could always make a boolit trap so you would know for sure :).

geargnasher
04-22-2011, 11:06 PM
It isn't yours. Sorry.

Gear

gray wolf
04-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Um-mm, NO

XWrench3
04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
every one of my cast boolits that i recover, along with other peoples are naked. meaning no bullet lube. i am not sure if it gets flung off in the bore, in the air, or get thrown out of the grooves at the sudden deceleration when it stops. i have found a few holes in the thargets that have had lubricant around the hole. so not all of it ends up in the bore. honestly, i do not remember what lube, or how fast i was driving them. i recover roughly about 20% of what i shoot. which in no where near enough to make me happy, but i would rather they are unrecoverable, than have them go flying off into the surrounding woods. if you want a boolit to keep. get several milk jugs, fill them with water and sawdust. stack them in a row, then shoot a low power round into them.

Tom W.
04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
It's yours now!