PDA

View Full Version : It is Easter again, cheap easy Easter egg dye

Linstrum
04-22-2011, 09:29 PM
One Easter back thirty-something years ago when I was still doing Easter eggs for kids, the stores ran out of dye kits. I couldn't let the kids down, so I bought a bunch of different flavors of unsweetened Kool-Aid instead and I have never looked back.

To speed things up, mix 2 envelopes of the same color unsweetened Kool-Aid in one or two cups warm water and then pour into a gallon-size ziploc plastic bag with the eggs to be dyed in it instead of dunking them one or two at a time in a bowl. Don't add any more water, the Kool-Aid has to be real concentrated. Pull them out and let them dry off. That's it. The eggs are still quite edible, unless of course the kids don't find them and they end up sitting out in the weeds under a hot sun all day, especially with a cracked shell.

Blue Moon Berry or Green Kiwi-Lime flavored hard boiled eggs are a bit of an unusual treat for adults, but kids love the idea of the flavors the Kool-Aid imparts right through the shell. Gives new meaning to "Green Eggs and Ham".

Have fun!

rl1002

andremajic
04-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Dang. I read this too late, after the wife had bought some easter egg kits. I'll store this away in the noggin until next year.

Thanks!

RP
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
The kids around my crowd are spoil and the parents are lazy they just get the plastic ones and put something inside. Maybe its because of all the cooking we do for the get together. I was on grill duty cooking a pig cooker full of chicken out in the sun. Oh and getting rushed on how long it takes. Good ideal by the way.