PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman 44 Wadcutter Mold

ColColt
04-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this one so, if the Mods want to move it...the problem I have is that I've ran across my old Lyman molds for the 44 and can't seem to find the seater stem for for my 245 gr full wadcutter mold, Lyman #429352. I have the top punch for sizing the bullet but can't locate the seat stem for this bullet. I don't' think RCBS has it anymore and Lyman doesn't make that mold so, I may be out of luck unless I locate it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what would work if I can't locate it? SWC seating stems will put a good circle around the top of the bullet as of course, it's full diameter and would probably seat the bullet cockeyed as well. I saw where there was a special mold order about two or so years ago Blammer was offering and wondered with all the orders on this bullet, which looks a lot like my Lyman, what folks were using to seat this particular bullet. Whatever it may be, perchance it would work for me with the Lyman.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=35783

Glen
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Take your SWC seating stem, remove it from the die and grind off the ring around the outside edge so that you now have a flat-faced seating stem. It will still seat the SWC's just fine, and it will do your wadcutters as well. I did this to my .44 seating stem about 10 years ago and have never had a problem.

Rockydog
04-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Degrease your current seating stem and fill the cavity with liquid steel or a similar product. Wipe it off flat across the face. It'll last a long time and you can still convert it back to whatever configuration it was by drilling the filler out. RD

ColColt
04-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Take your SWC seating stem, remove it from the die and grind off the ring around the outside edge so that you now have a flat-faced seating stem. It will still seat the SWC's just fine, and it will do your wadcutters as well. I did this to my .44 seating stem about 10 years ago and have never had a problem.

I hesitate to do this because these dies are not made like the ones today. The seating stem of the older dies are much smaller in diameter and are threaded the full length, hence a small diameter seat die and if I alter the only one I have I can't get another seat stem from RCBS. If I made a mistake, it's toast. I wrote them about this but haven't gotten a response as yet. I don't know when they changed their dies but these I have were bought back in the mid 70's.

In light of not being able to locate what I thought was another stem for the full WC makes me wonder if I didn't use the SWC seat stem for both SWC and Full WC as I always left any parts associated with the dies in the same case and there was but one in there and it was screwed into the seat die.. It's hard to recall from over 30 years ago what you had.:)

94Doug
04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
RCBS will make you a new one to match your boolits if you send them a sample. However with them being older dies, perhaps it could be an issue. I would guess that they would still do it though. I think the cost is around $20.

Doug

MT Gianni
04-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Buckshot can make you a replacement top punch. You could also use a 1/4" bolt with the flats ground off.

Dale53
04-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Most seating dies will seat W/C's perfectly OK with the SWC seating stem. Try it, I bet you'll like it...

Dale53

ColColt
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Buckshot can make you a replacement top punch. You could also use a 1/4" bolt with the flats ground off.

I have the flat top punch-it's the seating die stem that's either hiding or I used the same one for the full WC's as I used for the SWC. That's what I can't recall. I'm going to fire up the pot again soon and make some of those 245 gr full WC's but have to wait on brass as I don't have any 44 Mag brass...ordered some today.