PDA

View Full Version : Wads or gaschecks

robert william
12-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi folks, I new here, just found the site. I like it.:-D I also have a question.
I am shooting a NEF 45-70, Currently I am using a 500gr (Lee) bullet cast from wheel weights. My charge is 13.2 gr of Unique. I am using a card wad next to the bullet followed by a greased felt wad. I had used this arrangement when loading BP in the cases and just carried it over for thr smokeless loads. So far I am getting good accuracy. Would I be better off using copper gas check? At 100 yards I am getting groups averaging 2 to 2.5 inches.:)
With the loads I am using do you think that there is anything to gain by using a gas check?:confused:

MT Chambers
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I've found that if the bullet has provision for a gas check, it will shoot best with one on, for plain base bullets I only use wads with Black Powder.

44man
12-14-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree, no wad with smokeless! What would happen if one slipped down into the powder space? There is too much room in that case and I would only feel safe with a bulky charge where the wad was against the powder. Try a pinch or Dacron over the powder to fill the space.

robert william
12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info