PDA

View Full Version : Hakim and cast ?

Freightman
12-14-2006, 12:28 PM
I have a 8MM Hakim simi auto and I have been wondering if I could shoot cast out of it? I shoot cast in my M1 Garand but the gas system is different on the Hakim it is a direct gas system like the M16 and the MAS 49/56 no piston. The gas port is almost in the middle of the barrel and it has a control valve. I have a 8MM mould but do not have a Mauser ect.

waksupi
12-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I've shot cast in my Hakim, with no problems. Definitely a fun rifle to shoot.
I'm selling mine, though, as I have too many shootin' irons in the fire, and need to clear the safe for action!
I believe Buckshot has some experince with the Hakim, and can most likely give you some good info

Freightman
12-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks I will try it

mag_01
12-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Freightman keep us posted on your results I have a Hakim and would like to try cast in it.----Mag

Freightman
12-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Will do! I am just waiting for my mould to get here, should be here Monday.

Buckshot
12-20-2006, 04:01 AM
................I've never tried cast lead in my Hakim. I have the Swedish Ljungman Ag42B and HAVE shot cast in it, but not to cycle the action. Due to the twist in the Swede, loading to pressures that would cycle the action would have cast boolits zinging in all directions! At normal Swede pressures the Ljungman was as accurate as a bolt gun. These loads would basicly unlock the action. I'd just drag the boltcover back to eject the empty and let the bolt slam forward feeding the next.

Both rifles have brutal actions as regards their violence, and how they will treat brass. I've had many a casemouth dinged, and had the empties thrown into the next time zone at warp factor 8, but as some have reported, I've not had any rims torn off :-). The Swedish military instruction manual tells the troop to drip a few drops of lube into the magazine before inserting it, or after stripping off 10 rounds into it.

I've done that with full power loads (in the Ljungman) and it DOES make a difference. Never tried it in the Hakim. Just sitting there at the bench and banging away surplus 8mm in the Hakim is a good way to win friends and influence people, ha!

...............Buckshot

JDL
12-20-2006, 09:34 AM
The Hakim has a gas regulator which might help with getting cast to cycle the action and certainly helps with taiming the violence when shooting ball ammo. Another "improvement" I made to mine was making a rubber bumper to go around the case deflector, using a piece of rubber fuel line, which helped with the mangled brass considerably. -JDL

Freightman
12-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a S-S adjusting tool to do the gas and for the best way to get the sights right I got a SKS type front sight that can be adjusted up or down by screwing it like a SKS/AK. I put a bumper on the handle ect . You can adjust the gas so the surplus is dropped at your feet and adjust it so a light load is ejected. The Hakim is my favorite rifle with the M1 Garand a very close second it takes a lot to feed both that is why I reload as I also have two 308 Saiga's and a 223 Saiga and two AK's I am a glutton for burning powder. I am spending my boys inheartance not going to be any money just a lot of guns and casting equipment.

hunterldh
09-16-2007, 03:48 PM
That Hakim will take your ears out. - Hunter

GrizzLeeBear
09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Hunterldh, whats with resurecting the old threads with nothing new to contribute?

waksupi
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Point is, newer guys go back through archives, and find things that interest them. So, they make a comment, regardless of if it has input on the subject. If it wasn't for such posts, this would be a dull lifeless place, and things wouldn't be resurrected for further thought and discussion.

Feel free to comment on any topic you wish.

Buckshot
09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
That Hakim will take your ears out. - Hunter

...........You're correct! :-) My brother and his 2 oldest sons were over for a visit so I gathered then and my dad up and went to the range. I'd grabbed a bunch of milsurp 8mm and the Hakim to let the boys entertain themselves. My dad was sitting at a picnic table maybe 20 ft behind the line. I walked back to talk a bit and he said that when they were shooting the Hakim he could feel the pressure pulse from the muzzle brake against his pants leg!

It's a clubby beast too, and no doubt. I have a manual on the Hakim from the mid 90's when you could buy 'cracked stock' specials from Century for $79. It was about shortening the bbl to 16.5", re-installing the muzzle break and adding a scope mount. The author said it was the finest "Moving Target" rifle he'd ever handled. Of course you'd be deaf, and half beat to crap after a magazine load, but hey, what fun!!

.............Buckshot

Freightman
09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I have been working on my 45/70's and not done a lot with my Hakim. but it doesn't like the big KBNR 240+ g boolit. It doesn't want to feed properley for some reason. It does fine with the LEE 170+ g and cycles and is accurate with it.
There are some Schetzin shooter that are at the range sometimes, if I break out the Hakim they leave real fast. There was one that I ask him to put his ear protection on, he said "I don't use it just doesn't bother me". I went ahead and shot a mag. of 10 and noticed him grabbing his ear protection before the second round.

45 2.1
09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
......... I have the Swedish Ljungman Ag42B and HAVE shot cast in it, but not to cycle the action. Due to the twist in the Swede, loading to pressures that would cycle the action would have cast boolits zinging in all directions! At normal Swede pressures the Ljungman was as accurate as a bolt gun. These loads would basicly unlock the action. I'd just drag the boltcover back to eject the empty and let the bolt slam forward feeding the next. .......Buckshot

I've shot cast in most all of the military semi-autos, especially the Ljungman which I owned for 10 years before I sold it (throwing expensive or harder to form cases into orbit doesn't endear a rifle to me). Statements like the above perplex me. How can anyone say it doesn't work when they didn't try it. I shot the Lyman 266469 loaded to work the action (well over 2000 fps) and got very good accuracy, same as I got with the other Swede rifles ('94, '96, '38). Loading methodology seems to play a really big factor here.