PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube vs standard lube grooves

mebe007
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
i want to know the differences besides the obvious. im trying to pick a mold for my .45acp and the are all so many variations. whats the difference performance wise in these lube grooves?

Maven
04-22-2011, 12:21 PM
mebe007, TL CB's are designed to be loaded and shot as cast (after tumble lubing of course) whereas regular grooved CB's may need both sizing and lubing. Although you can't beat the TL concept for convenience, the results obtained from them (accuracy, speed at which they can be driven) v. regular grooved designs has been widely debated both here and elsewhere. As an example, the Lee 240gr. TL-SWC shot rather accurately from my .44mag. Ruger SBH, but not as well as either the Ly. 429421 (SWC) or the RCBS 250K SWC designs. Moreover, the latter two could be pushed at least 150fps faster than the TL CB without loss of accuracy or severe bore leading.

Tracy
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I have the Lee 230 grain TC mould, which is available in both a TL version and with a single lube groove. I considered which version to buy, and settled on the single groove version. I have been pleased with its performance. I haven't used this boolit with liquid alox, but I have used other non-TL boolits with LA, so I really doubt that you would be losing anything by going with the standard lube groove, even if you plan to use LA.

fecmech
04-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I think with the .45 auto the TL concept is an excellent one. You have a low pressure, low velocity environment and TL really shines there. Also the barrel dimensions are very stable in .45's as opposed to 9MM's which are all over the map. I have tumble lubed with the alox, Recluse's 45-45-10 and Rooster jacket, all work great in both my .45's. Even if you decide on a non TL version I'm very confident the TL system would work in the .45 auto regime.

fatboy
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I have been using the lee 230 gr TL boolit for a few years now, i use the 45 45 10 mix also lube first then size through a lee .452 sizer then lube again. i shoot 3 1911's and have good results with all.

fredj338
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
SOme have accuracy issue w/ the TL design. Since you can TL a single goroved bullet, why not? Then if you decide to go luber/sizer, you are good to go too.

Huntsman52
04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
When you tumble lube a single groove , do you treat it as the same process as you would a tl bullet?

runfiverun
04-22-2011, 10:51 PM
yep pretty much just a light coat or two.

zxcvbob
04-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I have the Lee 230 grain TC mould, which is available in both a TL version and with a single lube groove. I considered which version to buy, and settled on the single groove version. I have been pleased with its performance. I haven't used this boolit with liquid alox, but I have used other non-TL boolits with LA, so I really doubt that you would be losing anything by going with the standard lube groove, even if you plan to use LA.
I use that boolit (the TL one) in a .45 Colt, pushing it faster than you could ever get it in a .45 ACP. It works great -- accurate and no leading.

I have some TL bullet molds for .41 magnum and .357 magnum, and the jury is still out on them.