PDA

View Full Version : Who casts boolits for there STG-58?

tayous1
04-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm wanting to find out if I can or if it's worth casting for my STG-58? I was told that I should not load soft points for this rifle as they don't work to well in it. I'd like to know if that's true or not?

BruceB
04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
My FAL is a DSA SA58, but it's at least a "kissin' cousin" to the STG58 rifle.

At this point I am having trouble with gas-system leading in the SA58. Due to outside issues, experimentation has been curtailed for quite a while, but I hope to get back on the project soon. In virtually all my other gas-operated rifles, lead fouling in the gas-affected areas has not been a problem.

Why in this rifle???? I have no idea. It's a new-production rifle, and I'm wondering if there may be a burr at the gas-port which might scrape-off some metallic lead which then gets deposited on the piston and gas plug. I can't feel anything when pushing a patch down-bore, but ...???

I'd certainly give cast loads a try. For a LOT of load info for .308/7.62 NATO, see my thread on the M1A in this forum. Any loads on that thread should work fine in the STG....just watch for gas-system fouling,and keep us informed, please! I'd definitely start with the slowest-burning powders listed on that thread. If using the slow-burners, cut the gas adjustment WAY down for initial firing (to minimize the amount of gas reaching the piston). Re-adjust as necessary to achieve correct function.

It's perfectly OK to turn the gas off completely and use the rifle as a straight-pull 'bolt action' for experimental work, but point-of-impact is very likely to shift from the semi-auto zero.

I have fired at least several hundred Remington 150 pointed soft-points through the rifle, as well as a goodly number of FMJ bullets, with no functioning or point-deformation problems. People have been misinforming you.

Nice rifles, the FALs, no matter what model we speak of.

NuJudge
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I've had no difficulty with softpoints in FAL-type rifles made with Imbel, DSA and Entreprise receivers, and I've shot a lot of softpoints in them.

There are some FAL-type rifles made with some Century Int'l Arms receivers which don't feed anything well. I had one of those bad receivers with a bad feed ramp, and changed it out for a DSA. I never tried softpoint or cast in it, but it could not have been worse with softpoint or cast. Note that some Century marked receivers are fine, some of them actually being made by Imbel.

I have shot a Entreprise receivered rifle which does some jamming, but only with certain magazines. It's not an ammo thing, its a magazine thing.

I've not shot much cast in FALs. There is a very old Handloader article on cast bullets in autoloaders, and I seem to remember it having loads for FALs. PM me if you are interested.

Combat Diver
04-25-2011, 01:18 AM
I've owned one Springfield Armory SAR-48 (Imbel receiver) and several FNs (one semi and several select). The SAR-48 used to be my hunting rifle and it was fed a steady diet of JSPs and never had any feeding issues. The others I had while either in Germany or Iraq, those were always fed M80 ball or M118. I picked up casting after I sold my FALs.

CD

richbug
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Note that some Century marked receivers are fine, some of them actually being made by Imbel.

FWIW, some were made by FMAP in Argentina as well.

My FALs eat anything, cast included. My "match" load for my StG-58 which I use for High Power on ocassion is: 311466 lubed with Speed Green, sized .309" Hornady checks. I haven't cleaned the rifle since last summer, no leading, no function issues. A patch only picks up traces of lube from the bore.

HARRYMPOPE
07-20-2011, 02:15 AM
FWIW, some were made by FMAP in Argentina as well.

My FALs eat anything, cast included. My "match" load for my StG-58 which I use for High Power on ocassion is: 311466 lubed with Speed Green, sized .309" Hornady checks. I haven't cleaned the rifle since last summer, no leading, no function issues. A patch only picks up traces of lube from the bore.

I just picked up an Imbel FAl and am looking for data,gas port setting with cast etc..

What is your powder? I use 30g of 4895 @1900 fps in my Siaga 308 with the 311466 and it functions fine and is good for 2MOA or a bit under most of the time.