PDA

View Full Version : Lee 452-228 IR and lube question

Roundnoser
04-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I planning to cast the Lee RN 45 acp bullet. I noticed it has a double grease groove. I currently load 45 acp in a 200 grain SWC with a single grease groove and my Star die only has a single row of holes (Lathesmith die).

Has anyone on this forum experiemented with lubing only the one grease groove on this bullet? If so, how did it work (accuracy, leading, etc).?

Thanks

Iron Mike Golf
04-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I know it's a different boolit, but I tried lubing 1 and both grooves of the Lyman 452460 in my Colt Mk IV Govt. I got leading with one groove lubed. Accuracy was the same with both lubes grooved and so far after 250 rounds, no leading. I am going to shoot another 250 this week and if no leading, I'll declare victory.

Load: dropped .453 at 205 gr, sized to .452 and lubed with BAC, over 4.0 gr Bullseye

geargnasher
04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
If the fit is good and the load is balanced, you shouldn't have a problem.

However, if you like, you can adjust your depth until the middle driving band is centered in the row of holes, the holes should be larger than the band is wide which will allow lube to flow into both sets of grooves at once. Works for me with Lyman sizer dies with all but one row of holes plugged.

Gear

Roundnoser
04-22-2011, 04:16 PM
If the fit is good and the load is balanced, you shouldn't have a problem.

However, if you like, you can adjust your depth until the middle driving band is centered in the row of holes, the holes should be larger than the band is wide which will allow lube to flow into both sets of grooves at once. Works for me with Lyman sizer dies with all but one row of holes plugged.

Gear

Thanks for that info. I'll try it...You may have saved me some $$$, not that I mind giving Lathesmith more of my money...he makes such good stuff.:2_high5:

fecmech
04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I normally shoot the 452460 with only the bottom groove filled and have for over 30 years. The 185 Saeco that I use also has 2 grooves and I only use the bottom groove. Never have had any problems with either bullet.