PDA

View Full Version : Need some CCW drills.

DanWalker
04-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Finally drug out some pistols and blew the dust off of them yesterday. After a bit of warmups with the blackhawk on a 60 yard steel plate, I hauled out the new kimber and tried to relearn how to combat shoot. I was aiming at a fist sized bullseye on a target 7 yards away. I started with the gun holstered in my normal Galco concealment holster, and my hands at my sides. My goal was to see how quickly I could draw and put 2 shots into that spot. Needlessto say, that after a few years of not practicing, this skillset has gotten more than a bit rusty. I estimate my speed to be somewhere between glacial and crippled sloth.
Anyone got any tips that might help me out?
One thing I really seemed to be struggling with was getting the proper grip when I drew. I carry behind my hip, over my back pocket. I'd notice that as the gun came up, my sights weren't aligned, and I'd struggle to get them aligned as I came on target. Usually the front sight would be off to the left of center.

W.R.Buchanan
04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Dan: I understand perfectly what you are going thru. I am a Front Sight person and have been many times, but unless I go at least twice a year my presentation and resultant accuracy goes to hell. A 2 day Skill builder class and 500 rnds does wonders for your skills and your confidence. The confidence part comes in as you speed up your presentation and you gain the confidence that you won't shoot yourself in the ass.

If you are using the standard 5 step presentation, then I would recommend starting with no conceilment and just practicing your draw by the numbers, slowly at first, and DRY FIRING until you get some confidence back. Then obviously trying to increase your speed steadily. It would also help if you had a knowledgable coach who could help you thru any hard spots in your training.

You are essentially re-establishing your muscle memory, and whereas it shouldn't take as long as it did to get it in the first place, it will still take some time. Realistically you are looking at about 1-2 hrs dry and then another 3-5 hours shooting to get back into the groove so to speak. Like I said a knowledgable coach could help and would push you thru it faster.

By that time your sights will be right where they should be ! I almost guarantee it.

Randy

Bulltipper
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
+1 on the Front Sight School! Been twice and now a diamond member. Dry fire practice first. ON THE RANGE NOT IN THE HOUSE! Then shoot a few. Better yet, score yourself a 4 day defensive handgun class at Front Sight Nevada and you will be amazed at what you didn't know...

Matthew 25
04-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Lots or rounds will help, but I really think you need an 8 inch bullseye. And copy don't shoot your butt.

Combat Diver
04-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Dan,

As suggested do some draw by the numbers and dry firing. Do both hands, strong hand and weak hand only. This can be done in front of a mirror after you checked and tripled checked the firearm is unloaded. Make sure no loaded ammo is around. Do the same for magazine changes. Smooth is fast and fast is smooth is the old saying. Go slow, work on doing it right and speed will come.

CD