PDA

View Full Version : Shoot N C Lawsuit Brewing

theinfamouselguapo
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Interesting reading. Haven't heard much of the one company, but I've been using BIrchwood Casey stuff for quite a while.

My bet is before the dust settles somebody is gonna pony up a lot more technical details on their product than have been in the press before. I've tried home brewing a few of these targets. Paper doesn't seem to be the ideal medium because it doesn't have quite enough give to it and the coating flakes off in transit unless you're very, very careful with it.

We're playing with some plastics but I think it will push the cost per target up to where it's not a real savings.

https://ecf.mowd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2010cv4224-34

Bullshop
04-21-2011, 11:57 PM
"theinfamouselguapo"

Three amigos right?

theinfamouselguapo
04-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Sí! I even have my own plethora of piñatas.

04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
:mrgreen: One of the classics! Even though it was rated one of the worst movies ever, I still LOL everytime I see it!

DCM
04-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Interesting reading. Haven't heard much of the one company, but I've been using BIrchwood Casey stuff for quite a while.

My bet is before the dust settles somebody is gonna pony up a lot more technical details on their product than have been in the press before. I've tried home brewing a few of these targets. Paper doesn't seem to be the ideal medium because it doesn't have quite enough give to it and the coating flakes off in transit unless you're very, very careful with it.

We're playing with some plastics but I think it will push the cost per target up to where it's not a real savings.

https://ecf.mowd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2010cv4224-34

Interesting the Birchwood products and patents predate the BTI stuff by a wide margin and BTI has the nads to go after Birchwoood??

9.3X62AL
04-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Fun and games for lawyers. Snoozefest to me.

theinfamouselguapo
04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Interesting the Birchwood products and patents predate the BTI stuff by a wide margin and BTI has the nads to go after Birchwoood??

Birchwood brought the initial litigation. This is how they prevailed at consolidating the cases in Minnesota. BTI filed their action separately but even had they not done so they would still have filed a countersuit at some point, even if they thought their patent was worthless.

The technical details in the Edwards patent are kind of interesting. The patent is for a "reusable" target.

I've yet to see anything that looks like stickies to replace the flaked off paint. If somebody made those I'd buy a roll of them.

RugerFan
04-24-2011, 08:45 AM
As I recall, someone here had luck making these type of targets using Saran wrap as the outer layer. The Saran wrap was painted black and when shot, it would retract just a bit showing the brighter colored under-layer.

crawfobj
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM
"theinfamouselguapo"

Three amigos right?

He's MORE THAN FAMOUS!!!

DCM
04-24-2011, 06:22 PM
The technical details in the Edwards patent are kind of interesting. The patent is for a "reusable" target.

I've yet to see anything that looks like stickies to replace the flaked off paint. If somebody made those I'd buy a roll of them.

The Birchwood Casey targets usually come with 4 or more pasters/target. I have not seen a roll of them as you mention either, but would like to. I try to save all my unused pasters if possible and often use them as targets when I go to the confirm a zero before hunting.

I will have to try the Saran rap idea! That my be just the ticket for sighting in a new toy as I could make a very large target. Especially when it is one of those with the sight/scope way off of the bore (man those can be a pain)!

spqrzilla
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Ordinary patent litigation. No big deal.

RugerFan
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
I will have to try the Saran rap idea! That my be just the ticket for sighting in a new toy as I could make a very large target. Especially when it is one of those with the sight/scope way off of the bore (man those can be a pain)!

Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33829&highlight=Saran

ilcop22
05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Just another measuring contest between rival companies. I swear, sometimes they sue each other out of pure boredom...

smokey496
05-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Rugerfan
Thanks for the link, gonna give it a try.

NoZombies
05-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Try using butchers paper, the stuff with a shiny side. Paint the shiny side, and see how well it works.

DCM
05-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33829&highlight=Saran

Thank you.