PDA

View Full Version : Price of WW going up due to Lead increase

chambers
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I now see scrap yards paying .45 to 65 cents per pound of WW, not melted down. Does anyone see the price climbing higher than a $1.00/# of buying ingot of WW? It is becoming painful to pay .45 cents/# of WW in five gallon buckets from tire places. The tire places are following the scrap dealers in what they are selling wheel weights. Also how much longer are we going to see wheel weights?

leadhead
04-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Not very much longer I'm afraid. Ijust bought a bucket a couple
weeks ago for 15 bucks at one place and at another place the guy
charged me 20 bucks for a half bucket. Told me he's get'in 50
cents a lb for them at the scrap yard. I won't be get'in any from
him again.
Denny

Freightman
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
At those prices by the time you buy the gas to smelt and the other stuff it would be cheaper to buy it already smelted. Plus they are no guarantee that all or any W-W is lead.

NewGuy
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
As a lead seller on this forum, I can definately see the price of WW ingots going over $1/lb.
I personally would not like to sell my lead to a scrapyard, but if they are willing to pay $0.60 or more in the future, it's getting to the point where it's not worth my time and propane to process it

jsizemore
04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
So far my scrap yard is still selling to me for $.25/lb. I been keeping his lead bin empty and he shows his appreciation. When he gets some in he'll call or leave me an email. Can't beat that.

Papa Jack
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I got some estimates for tires for my wifes car last week, stopped at two local shops. I asked them if they sold any wheel weights, yea, we sell em, we get $40.00 bucket....
The second shop I know the owner, I bought my tires there and asked him about his WW's....He said if I really wanted em, he'd sort out the bad ones and save em for me.
He usually melts em down for Drift Boat Anchors and he said the last bucket he took home over half of em wouldn't melt....
I still have a 1/2 bucket that I bought from him about 12 years ago for $20.00 then..

PJ

Longwood
04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I was making a ball bearing handled cleaning rod last night and while digging through my material, I came across a bucket of blocks about 7/8" thick and look like they are for newspaper ad's back before cars were USB's. Do any of you know if they are made from Linotype or possibly something else?
Thanks.