PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap yied!

Freightman
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Had a bucket of scrap! one of the Sams Club Family soap buckets about 3 gal, weighed in at 165 with the bucket. The yield of clean lead was 124#so minus the bucket 2.5# iI had 39# of dirt rock and jackets. Less junk than I thought I would have and I do not wash the scrap just sift with my sifter.

WHITETAIL
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Every time I visit the range I go early
so to do some range mining before shooting.
Then when I get home the batch go on the
driveway and I hose it down.
Let it sit there for the rest of the day in
the sun.
Then it goes in the bucket in my garage
with no lid on it for the rest of the year.
Then when spring gets here I smelt it all.:Luvcastboolits:

fredj338
04-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, if you can mine the local berm, it's a good renewable source. I get about 70# whenever I go, about all I can carry the 50yds to my truck, get about 50# of alloy, but I sift pretty well, tossing rocks & empty jackets as I go.

Jal5
04-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Always pick up range scrap at my range. In about 45min. I can fill a large coffee can without digging anything. I don;t think anyone else picks any. Free is good.

Jailer
04-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Make sure you are saving those jackets. Even dirty copper is fetching over $2.75 a lb around here.

fatelk
04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Jailer is right. I've heard that scrap yards in some places won't buy them, but they sure do here.

It really adds up after a while when you can get copper price; makes all the hassle of range scrap a little more worth it. Just make sure you sort out any non-copper jackets. A magnet works good to pick out the copper-plated steel ones.