PDA

View Full Version : Bisley Holster?

Cntrmass
12-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Can you guys point me towards a good field holster or a stainless ruger bisley 5.5 inch?

I have found some nice ones but I don't want to spend 80.00 on one.

Is that the going rate.

45 2.1
12-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Try Uncle Mikes holsters, any Blackhawk holster for the barrel length will fit the Bisley models also.

C A Plater
12-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm partial to a Bianchi Lawman for my Rugers, Bisley or Blackhawk.

madcaster
12-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Simply Rugged . com

Pepe Ray
12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
People who put $300 revolvers into a $20 holster get what they ask for.
Make your own. It's not so tuff and think of the pride.
Pepe Ray

danski26
12-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with ray. get the best holster you can afford. If you can't afford top of the line maybe save up to make the investment.

Milt sparks is about the best. For a little more than $80 you can have them make a custom holster for you and your pistol. I love the two sparks holsters I have and am saving for another.

Dale53
12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
I have had good luck at gun shows finding decent leather - I'm talking GOOD stuff like El Paso, etc. I buy when the price is right. Of course, I am lucky in that we have several really good gun shows in this area from time to time. I also have access to a couple of good dealers that carry good leather at fair prices.

Dale53

Springfield
12-15-2006, 02:45 AM
www.whyteleatherworks.com

Tracy
12-17-2006, 01:20 AM
I heartily recommend El Paso Saddlery. They are affordable, they make each holster specifically for your gun, and quality is second to none. My favorite field holster is their model 1920, Tom Threepersons design.
The only downside is, as I have heard it put, "when you order a holster from El Paso Saddlery, they go out and start feeding the calf that will eventually become your holster". That's OK though; it's worth the wait.

sundog
12-17-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.mcknightsleather.com/

A-one stuff. I know from personal experience. And, Larry is an A-one guy. sundog

Steve Collins
12-18-2006, 09:28 AM
A second nod to Simply Rugged. Rob will build what you want, and not take til the Second Coming to get it done!:-D

http://www.simplyrugged.com

shooter2
12-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I heartily recommend El Paso Saddlery. They are affordable, they make each holster specifically for your gun, and quality is second to none. My favorite field holster is their model 1920, Tom Threepersons design.
The only downside is, as I have heard it put, "when you order a holster from El Paso Saddlery, they go out and start feeding the calf that will eventually become your holster". That's OK though; it's worth the wait.

I couldn't agree more. I have a few of their holsters, including the Tom Threepersons design, and they are top notch. Good leather goes with a good gun.

sundog
12-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Shooter2 said, "Good leather goes with a good gun."

I couldn't agree more! sundog

Dale53
12-18-2006, 12:13 PM
A little bit different take on holsters. First of all, I have a number of first rate leather holsters. However, there is no denying the utility value of a good nylon holster for field use. I have a number of good designs and like them well. My favorite nylon holsters are made by Bianchi.

I have used the "HUSH System" by Bianchi extensively for hunting with my Mod 29 8 3/8" scoped revolver as well as with my Ruger Red Hawk scoped revolver. Most hunting areas I have used have required the revolver to be carried "outside" and this works regardless of the warm clothing I need. You just strap it on in the cross chest carry and it is easily adjusted for varying clothing.

I have used this outfit in the toughest brush country around here. I added the full flap to protect the guns from weather. We don't get really bad weather around here, but I have carried this rig in 10 degrees below in a foot of snow and also in the heat of summer without problems.

Further, I have several Bianchi's (in mylon) that are built like conventional leather holsters and I like them also. In fact, other than fast draw or aesthetics, I see nothing wrong with them, at all...

I often use a Bianchi nylon belt with Bianchi nylon holster and feel well served. For what it is worth, I am NOT economically challenged...

Dale53

C1PNR
12-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm with Pepe Ray on this one. It's kind of like putting a $40 scope on your $700 rifle. Why?

I have some "custom" holsters that I made for some of my handguns, but since I'm very much NOT an artist, I had them designed by a friend who is, and I merely constructed them. I took my time, paid attention to detail, and ended up with some nice stuff.

This is not to say that nylon, etc., holsters are inherently bad. I use a couple for IWB for the .25 Beretta and .380. And my Brother uses one very much like Dale53 for his S&W M29 in 8 3/8" barrel.

But for most of my use, I'm using a quality leather from one of many suppliers, including Idaho Leather, which is just a couple of miles from me. YMMV:-D

Bass Ackward
12-21-2006, 08:05 AM
It's hard to tell someone the benifits of good leather. They nod their head up and down truely believing that they understand. I know this because I was the guy taking the advice. Then I got a rig.

I would have to say that if you need a holster, buy a nylon.

If you need a rig, then get one. You will forget you have a soft, lined rig on that won't roll on ya. And the lining will be appreciated by you and your gun.

A lot of guys make good leather I am sure. But here is who does mine. He is fast too.

http://www.rodkiblersaddlery.com/

He makes a lot of plain stuff also, so don't faint at the examples. I like cross draws, which I don't think he shows on his site either.