PDA

View Full Version : Chippia Rhino revolver?

pmer
04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
http://chiappafirearms.com/products/75

Has anyone checked out this revovler? The Rifleman article says its very fast for follow up shots with the barrel low in the frame.

I just wonder where the peices would go if the cylinder blows because your hand is right there. I haven't bought a gun thinking about this kind of saftey but it looks attractive to me.

twotoescharlie
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
sure is ugly

TTC

RayinNH
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Looks like a deep sea creature...Ray

lbaize3
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
I read the article in Rifleman, too. It sounds interesting, however I don't think it offers much over a less expensive Taurus revolver. In fact you can buy two Taurus revolvers for the cost of one Rhino. It can't be any lighter or more accurate than the other 357 revolvers. I read that it recoils less, but I don't really have a problem with 357 recoil. Have been shooting 357s for about 55 years now. (Dad didn't give me 357 ammo until I was 10...)

But it is interesting and unique. Got to admit it is butt-ugly. I sure would like to play with one for a bit in order to make an informed decision.

Doc Highwall
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
The bottom cylinder is the one that fires so the gun recoils straight back.

tek4260
04-21-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=da&action=display&thread=5017

Here is a review by a member

pmer
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I should admit that saw one in a shop and didn't ask to pick it up because the short one seemed spendy and I didn't care for it's looks. But the 5 inch one looks better to me. I think it's AR 15ish

It's cylinder is quit a bit further back making the cylinder gap a lot closer. The muzzle is slotted too, is that a Dan Wesson screw in style for a tight gap?

That one post of it's a 2 bagger is funny.

Shooter6br
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
"Every one(thing) has the right to be ugly, but it abuses the privledge" It's a Ly gun...UGLY

songdog53
04-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Is one strange looking revolver for sure...maybe great just not sure of unslung barrel. But not to knock it cause haven't held one or shot one either.

Matthew 25
04-21-2011, 11:35 PM
It too will pass.

9.3X62AL
04-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Looks like the love child of a Glock and Python--left at the E.R. safe haven, no questions asked.

Bret4207
04-22-2011, 07:48 AM
It too will pass.

My thought too.

Mk42gunner
04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
So, how much do they pay you to take that thing home and let all your friends laugh at you??

I thought I had seen some ugly guns before. I was mistaken.

Robert

timkelley
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah but, has anybody shot one?

Snyd
04-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I talked to a guy at work the other day who was shooting one last weekend. He really liked how it shot. Accurate, easy recoil, etc. He shoots quite a bit and was quite amazed.

firefly1957
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I thought it got hit by a ugly stick twice. I would like to get a .357 Mag but I think I will pass on that one.

Blammer
04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
sounds like 'ugly is as ugly does' :)

btroj
04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Can't own a gun that ugly. Some things don't need to be reinvented. Sam Colt did fine many years ago.

Phat Man Mike
04-27-2011, 05:11 PM
if you used it for a CCW when you pull it out they'd start laughing at you IMO

Doc Highwall
04-27-2011, 09:53 PM
if you used it for a CCW when you pull it out they'd start laughing at you IMO

But will they charge you with manslaughter because they laughed themselves to death?

Wayne Smith
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Didn't the German's do something like the back in the '60s?

subsonic
04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Interesting gun. Not the first of it's kind.

Wonder how long before S&W or Ruger copies it?

The idea is sound, but the execution looks mediocre for the $$.

How about a 3 bang six shooter? Fires 2 at a time! One up top and one down below. Would be NFA. 2 triggers?

ReloaderFred
04-28-2011, 07:26 PM
I've dry fired one at two different SHOT Shows in 2010 and 2011. It fits the hand well, but the two I dry fired left a little to be desired in smoothness of the double action trigger pull. It is ugly, but the concept is sound, just like the ones back in the 1970's.

I don't think the soundness of the concept will overcome the looks in most shooters' eyes, though. Having it in my hand didn't make me want one enough to buy one, though I would like to shoot one, just to see how much difference the lower barrel actually makes.

Hope this helps.

Fred

brimic2
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Too bad that they didn't make a semi-auto revolver like the Mateba- I would seriously consider one no matter how ugly it was.

t_dickinson
04-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Personally, I don't care about the looks. There are plenty of pretty guns out there. The Rhino looks like it means business and is a product of function over form. They have done what few others have been able to do lately - make a unique firearm.

Everything that comes out these days is black or a copy of an old model. Ugly as it is, no one would mistake it and it is the subject of alot of press, both good and bad. Press is press, afterall.

I was able to get my hands on the snub .357 at a gun show a couple weeks ago and it felt good. The grip is rubber and a little softer than Hogue. I felt like I could hold on pretty tight with a single-hand grip.

Where this gun might excel is in stock revolver competition. I got to shoot 2 cylinders out of one last week at my club. I was using factory Federal magnum loads and the muzzle rise was that of a rimfire and maybe less. The grip takes up alot of recoil and keeps the web of the hand as high or higher than the barrel.

Though PERCEIVED recoil was less, energy is energy and it has to go somewhere. The "somewhere" is straight back into the hand which might have become an issue if I had fired more rounds.

The trigger was nothing special and right now I don't know who would do a trigger job but you can bet someone will figure it out quick and have a nice little niche' business.

I have no doubt that if I had been using a 4 or 6 (not sure which would balance better) up against one of my Smith's of the same length, with target .38's, I would have been quite a bit faster with the Rhino. Plates would have been no contest.

They can be used with current speedloaders I'm told.

Looks? C'mon guys. Have you seen some of the open guns out there?

No affiliation and no reimbursement for my .02 :grin: