PDA

View Full Version : still need help

seabat0603
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
As I have said in another post, I am looking for someone that has reloading data with the following components...longshot powder, remington sts,nitro or 27 hulls. 8 or 9 00 buckshot from a lee mold. I dont even know if this load has ever been tried by anyone so Im looking for all help from anyone that has loaded this shotgun load. I know that longshot is a magnum powder as I have used it for pheasants and high flying doves. I love this powder due to it's versatility. Thanks for any help.

woody1
04-20-2011, 03:36 PM
OK, seabat, here's the deal. Apparently nobody here has used Longshot for buckshot. No big problem though. You can safely substitute an equal weight of buckshot in a birdshot load. Problem is that you may not be able to get an equal weight of buckshot in the wad. Sometimes cutting off the petals will allow enough extra room to do so as long as the buck will nest properly. As in rows of 3's rather than 2's in your stack. I don't advocate anyone else doing this but I've been known to substitute a shorter wad of the same brand and similar construction as long as the load I'm working with doesn't have an obscenely high pressure.
Guess what I'm saying is if longshot was MY powder, I would go the Hodgdon site and get a longshot 1 1/8 oz load that suited MY fancy and see if 8 or 9 00 buck will fit. I suspect it won't. Next go to Hodgdon and look at 1 1/4 oz loads with the next shorter wad. There are wads listed there that you have and I believe that 8 or 9 00 buck will fit those loads. Since 9 00 buck weighs about 1 1/8 oz MY load would be extremely safe IMO. If I needed more velocity, a check back to the 1 1/8 oz loads would prob'ly reveal a possible increase in powder. That's what I would do. YMMV Regards, Woody

seabat0603
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
thanks woody for your reply, I appreciate it. I looked in a flier from ballistic products while at dinner. It's their #111 pamphlet. On page 41 they show a new listing for a 12 ga. 00 buckshot load, made by Hornnady that delivers a velosity of.........1600 fps! This is a 2 3/4" load to boot. Now I haven't been loading shotshells all that long, just 3 years, but I have loaded all my heavy field loads with longshot because it delivers true magnum velocities. So, aside from trying what you said I guess I'm gonna try to find the load data on this ammo. thanks again for your input woody.

diehard
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Aside from being right on target Woody, your words sound very familiar. :roll: