PDA

View Full Version : Need a new shot shell press

Down South
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Since I'm back to shooting a shotgun a lot, "Skeet, Sporting Clays and such", I'm in the market for a new loader. I have an old 700 Versamec single stage. I need to upgrade to a better press.
I'm looking for something that will produce increased volume.
I've looked at the Mec 9000GN and the Mec 8567 Grabber, one being auto index while the Grabber is manual index. There is only about $100 difference in price between the two so that's not a big deal.
I'm also open minded for other brands/models but I don't want to break the bank.

I know that Dillon has a SL900 but is about twice the price of one of the Mec's. I don't foresee loading anything other than 12 ga shells so the removable tool head would be almost useless to me.

What do you guys with shot shell loading experience have to say?

fivegunner
04-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I shoot 4-6 box`s of shells a weekend at skeet and some trap, I have Grabber`s in 12, 20, 28, and 410. they make good reloads . I like turning the shell plate by hand. I feel I have more control doing it that way , and yes I have droped a few rounds of shot on the floor, I think if I had the 9000 autos there would be alot more on the floor. one last thing I don`t like to reload shotgunshells! even when it only takes a few min`s to load a box. it`s just plain work!!! I can`t aford to buy factory ammo. is the 9000 worth a hundred bucks more ?? I don`t think so.

elk hunter
04-20-2011, 10:26 AM
I've not tried the Dillon or RCBS shotshell loaders, but have owned most of the rest of the major brands including several Mecs. About 25 years ago I went to Ponsness Warren and have never regretted it. Lots of folks have used other brands with satisfaction, unfortunately that was not my experience, there may be something better on the market now, but I'll stay with what I have.

Rick459
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
http://www.bucksrunsports.com/

Wayne Smith
04-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Anything particular on that site you wanted to point out, Rick?

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I am still of the opinion that the Hornady 366 is hard to beat for volume and consistency.

over a hundred thousand rounds of 12 ga thru mine to date.

Rich

scrapcan
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I too am a Ponsness-Warren and Hornady user. I have been around most of the other loaders also, except the Dillon no experience there just cannot afford one.

I also have good things to say about the hornady 366 auto. The 366 has a few quirks, but they all do (we have 2 of these units that have made a huge number of 12ga trap loads in 1 1/8 and 1 oz as that is what each are set for). If you get a 366 get a few extra advance pawls. Hornady has good customer service and they ship quickly, for me anyway.

What ever you buy make sure it has a means to dump powder and shot tubes. And if you use an autoloader or pump that it has a final crimp station. My P-W 800b has not been converted to use the newer style shell holders and final taper crimp station and it is the one thing I do not like about it. The newer P-W loaders all have the final taper crimp.

The Mec units are good because you can find parts a lot of places, and there are lots of users who generally have spare parts.

Rick459
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Anything particular on that site you wanted to point out, Rick?

the OP was considering in buying a Mec Grabber and this site has a reasonable price on the press.
Rick

Intel6
04-20-2011, 01:05 PM
I have two Grabbers in 12 & 410 and I like them a lot.

Tom-ADC
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I have two Mec 9000G's and one Mec 8567 Grabber, if I had it t do over I'd have bought another 9000 series, mine are 10+ years old and ther then replacing the air strut once which was free from MEC I've had zero problems, on the 8567 I sometimes forget to rotate the shell plate probably because I've used the 9000's so long.

Triggerhappy
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I have two MEC 600's set up for 12g slugs and 20g shot. I also have the Dillon 900 for 12g shot since both my wife and I shoot shotguns quite a lot. The Dillon is awesome, no other way to put it. I can load a box a minute without problems, or hurry. It's capable of faster than that. The only drawback to the Dillon is it's price. I like it because I have finite control over the shot weight and powder load, both are completely user adjustable. The adjustability helps with special loads for 3-gun matches too.

Firebricker
04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I had a Mec grabber a long time ago and liked it a lot. A few years later I got a used 650 Mec but it doesn't have the collet resizing ring. So I sold it and went with a 9000gn and I'm real happy with it you can unhook the auto index if you want but I usually use it. I've had it for about five years now. I would never have got rid of the grabber but it "went missing" never to be seen again. Mecs aren't the machine a Dillion or P&W are but there a good machine fairly reasonable priced. FB

George Tucker
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
After trying several, its Ponsness Warren hands down, JMO, George.

midnight
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
My Ponsness-Warren 800-B sure beats the heck out of my Herter's Model 72. The price of the Herter's sounds cheap at $35.98 but back then that was half the rent payment.

Bob

Duckiller
04-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Serious (AA) trap and Skeet shooters that I know use Ponsness-Warren presses.

warf73
04-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Get the Mec Grabber and never look back.

Waldog
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
You want the "Cadillac" of shotgun loaders? Go here:

http://www.spolargold.com/spolar.htm

Just be sure you are sitting down when you look at the price!! I must say, it's realllllly nice !!!!!!

wink
05-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Wife & I have used a Mec Grabber, PW Silver ST since the mid seventies. I still use the Grabber for papers only. The PW did a good job till my arm wore out around my 60 years. Wife would load in the AM before work and I after work in the afternoon to keep up a supply. We have shot many many thousands, perhaps a hundred thousand of rounds of trap, skeet and sporting clays over the years. A few years back I bought a Mec 9000H, This press just keeps going and going. I can sit in a chair and let a foot do all the work. For ease and production work this press is tops and will last a life time with proper care. You will never be sorry with this one.

scar270
05-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I've run a MEC Grabber and a PW LS-1000, in my mind the PW's are hands down more pleasant machines to operate.

I think any of the MEC's, PW's, Dillons, Spolar's etc will make you fine ammo, part of the equation is finding the price you enjoy to operate at the price you want to pay.

jmorris
05-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I have 4, RCBS, MEC jr and two 366's. The 366's are what I use most.

southpaw
05-27-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a 9000, 2 600 jr's and a steel master. I am very happy with them. I would get the 9000 if I had to choose between the 2. As FB said you can always unhook the auto index if you decide that it is no for you. If money is less of a problem then I am sure one of the higher priced presses would be better but I can not offer any input on them.

Good luck.

Jerry Jr.

LUBEDUDE
05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I had a 9000. Once I learned it, it was nice. Your eyes have to bounce around looking everywhere at once, at least on mine. My primer feed was not reliable, but then whose really is? My main problem was the adjustment rod that affected my powder drop just would not hold. I ended up with no powder in 2 shells out of every 3 cases. That can still cost you a match.

I decided to sell it, and some guns and buy the best you could buy - the Spolar Gold.

I haven't looked back

It will last the rest of my life with no regrets.

By the time you get everything on it you want you are looking at $1800

But I now have peace of mind.

azcruiser
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
If you have the money and think your going to be doing a lot of shooting the Dillon is the way to go. Think the key is how much your going to shoot also With the Dillon or the Mec have a good rock solid platform makes them run better . Best time with the Dillon 25 rds one box 26 seconds
4 boxes 100 primers 2 min. That was while demoing the machine a the Grand American.
Dillon Mec Spolar their all good machines

LUBEDUDE
06-05-2011, 06:20 PM
AZcruiser nailed it, you gotta have a rock solid platform. That is key really for any progressive reloader. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road it you take the time to anchor your bench to the wall and use extra heavy duty materials.

As far as speed, numbers do not impress me. When you spend the big bucks for a good progessive, they will all spit them out fast enough.
What is important to me is reliability, i.e., no malfunctions or parts breakage.
Again when you spend the big bucks, there is no excuse for that.

LUBEDUDE
06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
One thing I see on other forums that really gripes me, and I do not believe that anyone posted here thankfully is when they tell you that your reloader that you buy all depends upon your volumne used.
That is "if you only shoot one or two boxes of shells a weekend, then you only need a mec 600 jr, and not PW or a Big Red or Blue, etc.

That's BS. How do they know how valuable reloading time and convenience is to that person ?
Every individual person has their own reason for buying products. Just like guns. Why would a bullseye shooter need to ever shoot an automatic? Hell, they take forever between shots?
See what I mean - stupid statement.

There's lots of good Shotgun reloaders out there and they all have their individual benefits that maybe one other may not.

Three44s
06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I own a lot of mecs and like them .............

............ but my Red Pacific 366 is my smooth opperator!

Three 44s

dverna
06-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Triggerhappy, it is NOT possible to load a box of 25 per minute on ANY shotshell reloader.

I have used the Dillon SL900 and sold it in 4 months. A MEC 9000 lasted 6 months.

My "production" reloaders are a PW 800+ with Electric Drive and a Spolar with Hydraulic drive and heads for 12, 20, and 28 ga. Realistic production rates are about 500/hour (without boxing). I have three other machines for producing hunting loads in 12, 20, and 28 ga.

The MEC is the most bang for the buck but not equal to the higher end machines. It really depends on how "anal" you are about crimps and charge consistency.

The 366 is reported to be a good machine but I have never used one. This applies to the RCBS Grand as well.

Don

myfriendis410
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
The Hornady/Pacific 366 is one of the best loaders going, IN 12 GAUGE. It doesn't do so well when you start in on the sub-gauge stuff. I disagree with you that a MEC won't keep up. I have two grabbers and a 9000 on my bench and I've put OVER 100,000 shells through 'em over the years. The only one of 'em I had any trouble with was the .410 and I cured that with a universal charge bar. It now pukes shells out like the rest of them.

You couldn't get me to own a PW.

LUBEDUDE
06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Man I don't know what it is about shotgun reloaders. I am always interested in hearing about the performance of other machines. Especially ones I am not familar with.

I do agree with dverna, Mecs offer a lot of bang for the buck. They know how to hook you.

rmcc
06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
I am retired from ATA trap now, but when I loaded it was with P/W 800B as stated above. I had 2 of them, one for 16 yd and first shot in doubles. The other was set up for paper shells for handicap. Our team had the following loaders:
2 MEC 900H presses
1 Hornady 366
1 Hornady Apex
The Ponsness Warrens outperformed them all HANDS DOWN!! You could go fast with the 900H's but they constantly needed adjustment. The Hornady loaders are good but fragile compared to the P/Ws. Also, with the P/W loader, the primer feed is the best in the business. It is 100% positive on delivery. Plus, they taper the body for function in auto loaders.
The 800 series of loaders can still be bought for less than $400 set up ready to load and the factory still supports replacement parts should you ever break something. I started on a MEC 650, great loader and I still like them. It is like shooting with a Mossberg vs a Perazzi, they both break targets the same but.... shoot them all day and you will never pick up a Mossberg again. Yes, look at the price difference but it is a matter of volume as stated in the first post. The same comparison applies with the loaders, they all load shells, just some are better than others.

Rich

LUBEDUDE
06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Great info rmcc!