PDA

View Full Version : Aaagh, can this batch of Felix be saved?

Matabele
04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi all,

Made a big blunder today. I had set up a double boiler to melt down some Felix lube in preparation for pan lubing. My bottom pot though was too big and sure as nuts the top pot full of lube fell into the boiling water, the lube was semi molten when it fell in. The lid was on the lube but is still got a lot of water in it. The lube is now the consistency of just melted ice cream.

Can I drive the water off anyway, or do I need to scrap this batch?

lavenatti
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Try melting it and keeping it warm for a while. All the water may sink to the bottom and you can just let it cool off and when it solidifies just dig it off of the water.

Matabele
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks lavenatti, I tried breaking off the top "crust" of lube and was able to pour off a good amount of water. The lube has changed consistency though, its a lot paler, and way more flaky. Ive remelted it once more and will check it out in the morning, colour doesnt look good though. Think Im going have to ditch this batch.

Thanks anyway!

geargnasher
04-20-2011, 08:09 PM
cook it at 225 degrees for an hour, the extra heating time will do nothing but improve the lube, and should drive off the moisture in short order. If you put lanolin in it, it may or may not scorch after being added and brought up to those temps, but you can always add more when you get the water out and the batch cooled to about 150F.

Gear

mroliver77
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I never use a double boiler with electric burners. I just keep the heat down low enough and have patience. As gear says if there is water in the lube just heat it and wait. I would keep it at 150 F for an hour or two and the water will evaporate. If no lanolin just below smoking. I doubt water can hurt it. Or just box it and send to me!
Jay

geargnasher
04-21-2011, 12:22 AM
BTW, if you don't already have one, go to any place that sells kitchen stuff (like wallochinamart) and pick up a candy-making thermometer. They're cheap and read the proper range for boolit lube. You can check calibration with boiling water and compensate for your altitude, 210 or so is right in the middle of the range of the thermometers so is very handy and accurate for checking accuracy.

Gear

Matabele
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I tried driving off the water as suggested and...it worked great!! I wasnt sure if I burnt off the lanolin or carnuba wax so added some more of both. Thanks again, back in business!