PDA

View Full Version : mosin sight problems

sisiphunter
04-20-2011, 01:23 AM
I recently obtained a Mosin Nagant carbine 1943 in 7.62x54R.

It shoots decent enough groups for what it is, but at 25meters the rounds are 1.5 FEET low. At 100 they are way off target low. I have tried from 100gr up to 180 gr even full bore loads and they are still low. For me to adjust the rear sight to be in at 50meter I have to set it at like 500 meters which is a pain to sight. This is using cast and jackets.

Ive tried hot loads, lite loads, some get better, but nowhere near acceptable to me at least. I mean a foot or more low is a bit much I think. I have the full length rifle version of the Mosin and it is bang on, but this carbine is just something else.

Here is my question. Is there anything else I can do short of filing down the front sight?? I hate to do that if Im just doing something wrong here.

Thanks, Matt

3006guns
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I've seen at least one MN front sight modified by using a threaded post in place of the normal "peg". This would give you up and down elevation adjustments within its range.

MBTcustom
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
That's a lot of dad-gum adjustment! I think if you file down your front site that much you might not have one left!
Seriously though, do you think you might have a bent barrel? Or maybe something else that might be causing your boolits to dive? I don't know....the crown maybe?

sisiphunter
04-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I have no idea what is causing it. Boolits and bullets are making a nice clean hole, so no keyholing. I have no clue why it is shooting this bad low....good groups just very low.

Yeah I agree I may file the sight down to nothing before it gets corrected. I will try something with it on my next trip out, strap down to a bench and sight it sideways. aim it on its side and see if they fly right (since this would now be below the barrel)

Other than that I dont know. I like the look of the rifle and the cartridge hate to make it a safe baby and wont sell a defective rifle.

WILCO
04-21-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mosinfrontsight/index.asp

This article talks about guns that shoot high, but in reverse, it should be a fix for you're problem. My carbine shoots low with lead boolits and high with surplus rounds.

mdi
04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Have you tried factory or surplus ammo? If everything shoots way low then it may be the rifle. If factory/surplus ammo shoots fine, the problem is prolly with your loads.

Maven
04-21-2011, 01:11 PM
"If factory/surplus ammo shoots fine, the problem is prolly with your loads." ...mdi

Matt,

mdi's statement begs the question, What loads & CB's are you using? If you're certain that your loads AREN"T the problem, why not try some cardboard (shirt cardboard or tablet backing) under your barrel?

sisiphunter
04-21-2011, 02:10 PM
ok, i will have to try some surplus in it, I have a few rounds hanging around.

I assume it will still shoot low, I tried from a lite 100gr cast boolit up to a 200gr cast and from 130 jacket up to 180gr jacket and all were differing degrees of low. Of course the heavy bullets were more low than the lite ones.

buck1
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
"but at 25meters the rounds are 1.5 FEET low"
I dont know if thats the ammo or not. I dont think so. Thats just too much.
It may be easier to get another Mossin Nagant rifle??

madsenshooter
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
My rifle came with a very bad recrown, I didn't even try to shoot it, put an 11 degree crown on it that straightened out an obviously crooked one done by someone before. Still haven't shot it, someday the PRVI brass will come in.

mroliver77
04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Take it out of the stock. Make sure it is super clean. Look for evidence of something wrong like splinters or dried cosmoline etc holding up the action or barrel. See if barreled action lays in the stock properly. Try tightening the action bolts one at a time to see if one torques the action and lifts the barrel or forces action down and puts a slight bend in the barrel. If you search the internet there are many sights with help on exactly what your looking at. I bet $3. it is something in the bedding or a bent barrel to be that bad.
Keep us informed.
Jay

leadhead
04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Can't you adjust with the rear sight? Most of my milsurps shoot low
at 50 yds with my cast loads. Have to raise rear sight to at least 400
meters on the sight.
Denny

sisiphunter
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
OK, Thanks fellas, i plan on goin to the range this weekend. I will check everything out in the stock and such and try some milsurp and loads and report back.

Hamish
04-22-2011, 12:15 AM
This is not the first time, on *this* forum, that someone has posted about having to go to 600 arshin's on the rear sight. (Not claiming, just saying) This one could be a +1 on any of the above posts. Shooting it on it's side, that's an "I could have had a V8" idea!

sisiphunter
04-22-2011, 12:43 AM
just to clarify the "shooting on its side" hahahaha, I know what ya mean Hamish. What I mean was I do firearms testing for work and I commonly sandbag and tie down questionable guns to benches and rests and basically tie a string on the trigger, take cover.

If the barrel is bent in fact and the rifle is laying on its side it should shoot one way or the other. If it is just the sights out of wack, then it should still shoot low, in theory at least.