PDA

View Full Version : Removing a stuck case

Mr. Cha Ching
04-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Well I got involved in helping a friend who, of all things, got a 30-06 case stuck in a die. By the time he asked for help, he had already destroyed the end of the case, so my "stuck case remover" would not work, and I mean destroyed........any you boys have any ideas how to get it out, or is it a lost cause?

hiram
04-19-2011, 11:36 PM
do you have a pic showing how badly the end of the case is destroyed?

wallenba
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Describe what is left of the case head. Did he get the decapper stem out?
If the web the flash hole goes through is OK, drill it out large enough to drop the decapper stem through (I'm assuming it is an RCBS). Screw a tap in the hole, then try tapping it out from the top with a rod.

Molly
04-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Wipe the inside of the case with flux and pour it full of solder. Drill and tap for an extracting screw, or just pound it out from the top with a rod. You can do the same thing with JB compound if you're uneasy about heating the die.

waksupi
04-20-2011, 12:22 AM
A board member recently brought one to me for removal. Easy out wouldn't work, so I used one of my engraving tools to carefully split the case from the inside, and was able to then bend it and remove it. If you try this, be very careful or you could ruin the die.
Try an easy out first, if possible. Soak the die with Kroil first.

Bret4207
04-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Stick it in the deep freeze over night and them try the tap and drive it out.

Mr. Cha Ching
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I can try and get a picture on here, and the head of the shell is "pretty" well destroyed, thanks for the info, not much of a gunsmith but I will try a couple of the ideas.

Chicken Thief
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I removed a stuck/fatique split 7mm RM case by epoxying a piece of threaded rod into it.
A short piece of pipe that fits the die, a big washer and a nut will haul it out in notime.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010366.jpg

deltaenterprizes
04-22-2011, 12:36 PM
If it is an RCBS die you can send it back and they will remove it at no charge, I am not sure what the policy of other manufacturers .
The ideas given are really good, I hope I can remember half of them when the need arises!

ilcop22
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll cut the end of the case off with a hacksaw, then bend it, and pull it out. Since this is not always possible, tapping it out from the top of the die (decapper removed, of course) is a pretty easy solution. Being that it's a stuck 30-06 case, a number of punches, awls and screwdrivers should fit inside the case mouth to drive it out. Unless you're John Henry, you needn't worry about hurting your die.

Hardcast416taylor
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Not doubting your abilities at all. But, I`d call RCBS first to get their advice about what to do first.Robert

koehlerrk
05-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Couple years ago, I got a 22-250 case REALLY stuck in the resizeing die.

Tore the case head completely off, so no way to use a remover.

I screwed the decapping pin through and out the bottom. Then I cleaned the inside of the case really good with brake cleaner. Plugged the case neck with a piece of buckshot and tamped it in place. Then I coated the exposed portion of the inside of the die with turtle wax.

I used Gorilla glue and a section of 3/8 threaded rod, and let it cure overnight. Put it in my vise, turned some nuts, and POP! it came right out.

A couple days later, I found out that RCBS would have removed it for free. Next time, I'll go that route, but it's good to know I can do it if I have to. When working with glue or epoxy, the big thing to ensure is that do not get it where you don't want it. Preparation is the key to making it go well.

KCSO
05-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I have had very good luck chucking them in the lathe and usig a boring bar to take the case paper thin and then just peel it out.

largom
05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Wipe the inside of the case with flux and pour it full of solder. Drill and tap for an extracting screw, or just pound it out from the top with a rod. You can do the same thing with JB compound if you're uneasy about heating the die.

Best suggestion yet with little chance of ruining the die.