PDA

View Full Version : soft lead and Linotype

Roundnoser
04-19-2011, 09:42 PM
I have alot of fairly soft lead (phone cable sheathing). I have read on this forum that its hardness might be approx. an 8 BHN (?). I also have approx. 60 pounds of linotype. What would be a good ratio to use so I get an alloy that would closely approximate straight WW alloy?

FYI...I generally use straight WWs for my pistol bullets (45 acp, 40SW, 38s, and 9mm) and like how they perform...so its important to me to keep my alloy as close to WWs alloy as possible. Nothin fancy...just trying to keep it simple! thanks.

bumpo628
04-19-2011, 09:53 PM
If we assume that the soft lead is pure and you mix it with linotype in a 5:1 ratio,
you'll get an alloy with 0.67% tin and 2% antimony, hardness @10-11. That's pretty close to WW (0.5% tin, 3% antimony).

40 to 1 alloy (97.5% lead /2.5% tin) has a hardness about 8, so your lead may have some tin in it. Does anyone have an estimate for the composition of cable sheathing lead?

white eagle
04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
mix it 50/50 and end up with hardball alloy
in the neighborhood of 16 bhn
may be a touch less depending on the bhn of the lead you use
to mix with the lino
seeing that you aren't loading for rifles you won't need to harden it anymore
by water quenching or heat treating

Defcon-One
04-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Why not do a 3:1 mix, that's 3 parts Soft Lead to 1 part Linotype!

It would be around 1% Sn, 3% Sb and 96% Pb. That is as close to wheel weights (0.5% Sn, 3% Sb, 96.5% Pb) as you can get with only those two ingredients. The extra .5% Tin will help with mold fill out too.

For myself, I'd also add 1.5 ounces of 50/50 Solder to get the Tin up a bit more (2% Sn, 3% Sb, 95% Pb). I know that is not what you wanted, but it works for me.

Butch B
04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I have the same question. I only have one stick of linotype exactly the same as the picture in Lee modern reloading book p.163. My wws are smelted either stick on in cornbread muffins or clip on in reg muffins. I can cut the linotype with a sawzall in whatever wt I want. If I want a 3:1 or 5:1 mix would you blend it in the 20 # pot as you cast or should it be smelted on the turkey frier to get it mixed before casting? I am satisfied with ww lead hardness for my bullets. Maybe I should just hold on to the linotype for some future need.

bumpo628
04-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I have the same question. I only have one stick of linotype exactly the same as the picture in Lee modern reloading book p.163. My wws are smelted either stick on in cornbread muffins or clip on in reg muffins. I can cut the linotype with a sawzall in whatever wt I want. If I want a 3:1 or 5:1 mix would you blend it in the 20 # pot as you cast or should it be smelted on the turkey frier to get it mixed before casting? I am satisfied with ww lead hardness for my bullets. Maybe I should just hold on to the linotype for some future need.

You can mix clean lead in ingot form directly in the melter.
It's always nice to have a variety of lead alloys on hand in case your needs change in the future.

onesonek
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
FYI...I generally use straight WWs for my pistol bullets (45 acp, 40SW, 38s, and 9mm) and like how they perform...so its important to me to keep my alloy as close to WWs alloy as possible. Nothin fancy...just trying to keep it simple! thanks.

Then I would agree with the 3 to 1 that was mentioned.

Cherokee
04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Roundnoser - use 3 to 1 mix, should be fine.