PDA

View Full Version : Defect Corrected on Dipper

Texasflyboy
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I received this dipper from Midway last year and was disappointed to see that it was backwards. How this happened, I wasn't able to discover.

I managed to correct its orientation by cutting, welding, and bending. It's a shame that they put the threaded boss on the WRONG side, I guess they assume that everyone is right handed in this world.

:-D

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/dipper.jpg

I am thinking of writing a nice polite letter to offer my services to correct these defective dippers. Might be some money to be made doing this...[smilie=1:

357maximum
12-13-2006, 02:37 PM
aaahh lefties....got to do everything backwards....[smilie=1:

Nice work so does it work mo betta now?

454PB
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm a southpaw as well. I modified my dipper by cutting it off flush with the "pod" and brazing it on the other side.

KCSO
12-13-2006, 03:26 PM
If you are interested I have a left handed lead pot for sale.

Texasflyboy
12-13-2006, 03:29 PM
If you are interested I have a left handed lead pot for sale.

LOL. Funn-eeee.

:-)

RayinNH
12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Southpaw here, lefties are the only ones in their right minds...Ray

Texasflyboy
12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm a southpaw as well. I modified my dipper by cutting it off flush with the "pod" and brazing it on the other side.

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/doh.jpg

Well now I that I've had time to come home, eat dinner, and think about how ridiculous that looks, I think I will take your solution and just braze it on the other side.

:mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
12-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I am left handed and just had to run out to the casting bench to see what I do. I dip with the right hand and hold the mould in the left. then I drop the dipper, move the mould to the right hand and pick up the mould mallet with the left. Here is where the fun begins, many moulds hve the sprue cutter swinging backwards for me. Some of them can be turned around in the handles, others have to be modified. I have had no trouble adapting to RH dippers, what the world needs is LH moulds! I noticed that besides the dross raking fin on the bottom of the RCBS dipper, there is a boss on both sides of the dipper, so it can be easily D&T for the handle.

KCSO
12-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I apologise I thought it was a joke. I've only seen it done like 454 said.

redneckdan
12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
thats classic. I'd leave it like it is. I started out left haded like my dad but my mom kept after me until I started using my right hand.

Texasflyboy
12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I apologise I thought it was a joke. I've only seen it done like 454 said.

It sorta was a joke...and I wasn't offended at all. I really was trying to improve the way I use a dipper. I rarely use a dipper, it's only for when I want to cast hollow point bullets out of pure lead. I use a small 6" pipe cap as a casting pot, and the dipper.

It was a slow day at work, so out came the Oxy/Acet torch and the other tools.

I cut it off today, and brazed the handle on the flat spot in the photo. Much better, the balance is in the center now and its casts pretty well.

You can see the test bullets I cast at the link, I was playing with a new Hensley & Gibbs #99 and 502.

H&G #99 & #502 (http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/molds/99&502.jpg)

redneckdan
12-15-2006, 06:45 PM
like the gunnis commerical says, "BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!"

44man
12-16-2006, 06:16 PM
That is NOT a defect!!!! HEE, I can't picture the world if everything was made backwards.

zuke
12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Look's like an ebay item to me.[smilie=1:

HotGuns
12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
dang...

I'm a lefty too...

I just learned to become ambidextrous...

its a lot easier and cheaper...

I like it though...it definatley looks left handed...

leftiye
01-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Ya know, they make ladles with two spouts- one on each side (lee or Somebody).

georgeld
02-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Laugh all you want. But, about 1968 working in a weld shop a guy broke the handle out of my 3# single jack and being in a big hurry I just jambed another handle in and drove some wedges in it and went back to work. Very sorry job of it and proved to be a wrist breaker right handed.

But, lefties thought it was the best swinging hammer they'd ever used. Of course that was: "George's left handed hammer".

Damned if that handle didn't last for close to two years before it broke again! Don't think I've ever had a handle in a working hammer last near that long.

It was twisted some and not inline with the head. You guys that haven't set handles in hammers won't buy the story. But, those of you that have enough to know how to do a good job of will see what I'm talking about. That was mighty good training for quite a few of us on how to set a handle properly.

fiberoptik
02-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Southpaw here, lefties are the only ones in their right minds...Ray

So since I'm ambidexterous does that mean I'm twice as smart?? (Missing left frontal lobe tho...................)[smilie=1: