PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy 2 scales here.

t_dickinson
04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
I need scales and from what I've read, it's good to have a beam AND a digital.

Can you recommend one of each by Make and model only?

It seems the threads always get hijacked and sidetracked on this subject so I've found little help.

For the beam, I'm considering the RCBS 5 0 5. No idea about a digital.

Let er rip!

Calamity Jake
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I need scales and from what I've read, it's good to have a beam AND a digital.

It seems the threads always get hijacked and sidetracked on this subject so I've found little help.

For the beam, I'm considering the RCBS 5 0 5. No idea about a digital.

Let er rip!

The RCBS 505 is a god choice, for a digital get a Pact with powder dispencer as they make scales for many of the other companys anyway.

edsmith
04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I have had a 5-0-5 for over 20 years,still good as it was when new,you can't go wrong with it. on digital scales, I have one but I don't trust them for powder. Ed

Colorado4wheel
04-19-2011, 03:53 PM
DIllon Eliminator is the same scale as the 505. It's cheaper and it's a Dillon.

I would only get the digital if you really need one. Or buy the Digital and get some good check weights and pass on the beam. Dillon makes a nice Digital.

PacMan
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Dillon and Dillon

bumpo628
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Eliminator- $56
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018

Terminator - $140
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3013

If you were only going to get one, I would recommend the beam. This model is really easy to use.
The electronic one also comes with a check weight, fyi.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-19-2011, 05:08 PM
first always have a good quality Beam scale as a backup/double check.
I have a couple of older "Herters" scales...they work great, and can
be found at gunshows for $20 or so.

I have bought 2 different cheapo electronic scales (less than $40 each)
JUNK !

I bought a cabelas electronic scale over a year ago...still going strong.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Reloading/Tumblers-Scales%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104661180/Cabelas-XT-1500-Digital-Scale/740848.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/shooting-reloading-tumblers-scales/_/N-1100197

04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Gravity always works, can't say they same for those rascally electrons.

If you want an electronic scale for measuring boolits only, an inexpensive model is okay.

doubledown
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Its not cheap, but it is reliable, repeatable and accurate to a 2/100th of a grain. With a 1800 grain capacity. It has also caught some of my other scales telling lies.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38348/Product/Acculab_Scale_110V

It has out lasted a few of mycheaper scales so far, great unit.

Tracy
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
I have a 5-0-5 that I have had since the late '80s, and it is still accurate. Actually made by Ohaus. I also have a Chinese electronic scale that I paid $10 for, including shipping from Hong Kong. It is accurate enough for what I use it for, and has been for the 2 years or so that I have owned it.
My recommendation? Buy the 5-0-5 and a set of test weights. That way you can check it for accuracy periodically.

garandsrus
04-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I like the Pact scale with the infrared data port. A while after getting the scale, I bought the Powder Dispenser also and like it also when making up multiple charge weights.

The scale comes with check/calibration weights. I have used the scale quite a bit and trust it.

John

jcwit
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Buy the one that costs the most, that way you have something to brag about no matter whether it weighs better or not.

Value be dammed!

doubledown
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
QUOTE dickinson

jcwit, the OP asked for make and model of scales. I do not know how much he wants to spend, he did'nt say. I posted the scale not to impress you or anybody else for that matter, only because it has lasted me many years without a hiccup.

Your quick to judge, unreal, I'm back out.

Firebricker
04-19-2011, 08:30 PM
The pact for your digital scale. I've been real happy with mine had it three or four years also bought the powder dispenser later. FB

man.electric
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I just picked up a Lyman DPS 1200(got a deal!) but haven't even bothered unpacking it because I am waiting for the upgrade kit to arrive from midway. I will put a review once I have one.

Colorado4wheel
04-19-2011, 10:20 PM
One 50g check weight is not the same as getting a set of check weights that allow you to check the scale in .5 gr intervals up to 70grs or more depending on the set you buy. With that as a backup you never need to worry about a beam as a backup.

bumpo628
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Anybody have a link to a set of good and cheap (but mostly cheap) check weights?

Longwood
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I bought two off of ebay for 99 cents each plus the usual $4 shipping from China. One is 50g and the other is 10g. I could have bought a set for around $20 plus the $4 but don't really need all of them.

garandsrus
04-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Sierra rifle bullets work pretty well as a check weight... The 69 gr .223's that I have weighed were very close to 69 grains.

John

BSkerj
04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
I have a RCBS 505 beam scale and have been using that for a couple of years without fault. I also purchased a RCBS 750 range master electronic scale a couple of months ago to weigh bullets and love it. Now I mostly use the 750 to weigh my charges but every once in awhile I throw some on the beam to keep everything honest.. with that being said, sounds like you are just getting into reloading. If so use the beam. It gives you more hands on experiance in learning the art of reloading. Hope this helps

jeff423
04-20-2011, 06:48 AM
In terms of balance type scales I like the RCBS 10-10. It's easy to zero and you can lock the 1/10 gr. adjustment.
I bought it because I got a deal on it. I don't think it is more accurate than the 505 or Dillon balance scale. They are all made by Ohaus.
I can't help with a digital.

Jeff

parrott1969
04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
I like the cheap lee beam scale. You cannot got wrong for $24 and it is very accurate. Also there is no need for a check weight. As long as the parabolic beam is not broken it is GTO. I have had mine for 15 years. For a digital scale I highly recomend the hornady lock n load automatic powder dispenser and scale. It is cheap and works. What more could you as for?

Wayne Smith
04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I'll second the beam and RCBS. I bought an RCBS 1010 off eBay last year. Got it and it stuck, was a very slow response compared to any other scale I've used. Packed it up and sent it to RCBS with the whole story just as I've told it here. A couple of weeks later I get a package from RCBS - a brand new 1010! I did not expect that.

I have no experience with electronic scales.

1hole
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
"...from what I've read, it's good to have a beam AND a digital."

Well, I do have some intimate knowledge of electronic scales, I used to repair/calibrate the flaky things. In my opinion you can get along just fine with a beam scale - gravity always works and it doesn't drift. But if you just gotta have a digital you really do need a beam to keep it honest.

Any reloading type of beam scale will work fine, none of them do poor work. I love my 46 year old Lyman M-5, basically the same as today's RCBS 1010, but it's really no better than any others. I also have a Lee Safety Scale; it's very sensitive, quite accurate and a PITA to use because it's so light and the tenths slider is somewhat hard to read. The RCBS 505 or Dillion beam scales are perhaps the best money value available. IMHO.

gray wolf
04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, I do have some intimate knowledge of electronic scales, I used to repair/calibrate the flaky things. In my opinion you can get along just fine with a beam scale - gravity always works and it doesn't drift. But if you just gotta have a digital you really do need a beam to keep it honest.

Any reloading type of beam scale will work fine, none of them do poor work. I love my 46 year old Lyman M-5, basically the same as today's RCBS 1010, but it's really no better than any others. I also have a Lee Safety Scale; it's very sensitive, quite accurate and a PITA to use because it's so light and the tenths slider is somewhat hard to read. The RCBS 505 or Dillion beam scales are perhaps the best money value available. IMHO.

Just re-read the quote above, it's all you need to know. I agree 100%

Longwood
04-23-2011, 05:17 AM
I used to have a RCBS beam scale that worked beautifully. I can't recall the number but it was the one with the round "Barrel" tenth scale adjustment. I lost it and now I have a Lee beam scale and a digital scale. I dislike both for several reasons. The Digital shuts off at the worst possible time and bounces or something which gives me a bad readings.
The plastic Lee scale is absolutely AWFUL and very difficult to work with. Some of the issues have been mentioned plus the pan has way too small of a handle, has a pour spout that is made completely wacko and getting the pan back onto the scale is a PITA. I am looking at scales on ebay but some people seem to think the good ones are worth a small fortune. I only load 45 Long colt for a couple of rifles and 45-70 now and am seriously considering spending a bit more and getting one of the automatic powder feeder ones but I am 69 now and don't know if I would get enough years out of it and I am wodering how fast/slow they are. If I was starting out, I would go for it for sure.

firebrick43
04-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I will second the dillon eliminator ( same as rcbs 505)

I have a lee safety that works and is accurate but just awful to use

The dillon is ten times nice and very quick dampening.
Also easy to read!

Chicken Thief
04-23-2011, 11:39 AM
I call BS on all the digi bashinghttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/smiley-bs-sign-1.gif
If you understand the types of scales and use them accordingly they are just fine or better!

I have a $14 digi that is accurate to the 10'th grain repeatly, and weighs up to 1540gr.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/pocket-precision-digital-scale-100g-max-0-01g-resolution-15762

It will weigh static only!!!! Ie. weigh, move and change, then replace. So it won't do powder trickling. Takes 2-3 seconds to settle to a controlled measurement (dont breathe on or near it, do place on a (rock)steady surface!). A (way)more expencive scale will measure 2-3 times a second and then it is usefull for trickling.

As for accuracy(testing), how about some calibration weights?

"http://www.dealextreme.com/p/professional-precision-digital-scale-5g-calibration-weight-5-gram-20010"

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-scale-calibration-weight-100-grams-15761

Here's a scale that'll do .01gr for $17 and is shipped with it's own calibration weights.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-precision-portable-digital-scale-10g-0-001g-2-aaa-52751

A bean is good for controll, it'll tell you if the weight is: light, right or heavy. But it is way slow at gauging an unknown load. A digi is fenomenal at that, but cumbersome for weight comparison.

troyboy
04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I have both the RCBS 505 and the Chargemaster. They both work. I prefer the Chargemaster. Yes you can trickle and it works fine. You do not have to do anything special to get it to work. Just to clairify I am talking about about the Chargemaster scale without the dispenser. I check with the 505 from time to time but the digital is dead nuts. Digital scales and progressive presses are a no go for some but for others they are the only way to go. It all boils down to preference. I use digital scales and progressive presses and will continue to do so. My advice is to read the reviews on the scale that you decide to buy.

1hole
04-23-2011, 09:52 PM
"Here's a scale that'll do .01gr for $17 and is shipped with it's own calibration weights. ---
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/high-pr...1g-2-aaa-52751 "

Speaking of BS...! It takes a high grade digital lab scale costing several hundred dollars to read to one hundredth of a grain.

Given that the prime need of a reloading scale is for powder, not cases, I for one will live with the trivial lack of phenomal speed for something I seldom do to gain the high precision, great consistancy, instant response to a powder trickler and incredible longivity of a beam scale. :)

bbq223
04-24-2011, 07:35 PM
I have used an RCBS 5/10 for 30 years, would not part with it!