PDA

View Full Version : The tides have changed I think.

justingrosche
04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Are any of you shying away from once sought after molds like the 429303, 311299 , 429348 ect because of the ability to purchase multi cavity molds from custom makers at confirmed dimensions? I passed on a mold today that I had wanted for quite some time, partly due to price, partly due to it being a one cav, and additionally that it's in Lyman blocks. I have lots of Lyman molds that I'm happy with, but it can be hit or miss with the dimensions.
Are you guys finding yourself doing this as well? Just curious to what the trend seems to be.

geargnasher
04-19-2011, 02:56 PM
I support businesses that support me. Lyman no longer supports my casting efforts, many other commercial companies don't, either.

So, I buy custom moulds from Accurate Molds, NOE, and others, as well as Lee moulds. I have eighteen Lee moulds and they are all good moulds except for a couple that I wore out or damaged during attempted modifications. "Good" means made as advertised as far as shape and dimensions go, and quality of execution on par with cost.

Gear

Dutch4122
04-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I'd much rather buy a custom mold for more money, and have it the way I want it.

DITTO!:goodpost:

waksupi
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
My last mold purchases have been custom molds. I recall Lyman had a problem with people posting their opinions on their products on this board. Our Leader told them to stuff it.

Shiloh
04-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Are any of you shying away from once sought after molds like the 429303, 311299 , 429348 ect because of the ability to purchase multi cavity molds from custom makers at confirmed dimensions? I passed on a mold today that I had wanted for quite some time, partly due to price, partly due to it being a one cav, and additionally that it's in Lyman blocks. I have lots of Lyman molds that I'm happy with, but it can be hit or miss with the dimensions.
Are you guys finding yourself doing this as well? Just curious to what the trend seems to be.

Yes,

My 311299 would drop at about .309+ with a .298 nose. with lino added to the melt.

Sold it and bought a 314299 Drops at .3125 with 50/50 WW/Range scrap.
a .302 nose.

Shiloh

stubshaft
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM
I have no problem buying old Lyman/Ideal molds. RCBS does allright for me but, have become more specific in what I want a boolit to do and how I envision it performing. Because of that I have for years gone the custom mold route usually with Veral at LBT and Dave at Hoch. Recently because of the great proliferation of Group Buys (the black hole that money keeps on dropping into) I have been getting great molds fron Al and Miha. If I do get a newer Lyman mold it would be for resale or trading later.

rays308
04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
The last Lyman I bought was 311332 about 2yrs ago. Had a heck of a time getting it to size and round.

Since then its been RD and NOE molds. I'm in on 3 group buys now.

I have an Ideal 4 cavity 311316 that I have to beagle to get up to 311.
I have a 429421 and a 429348 that I lapped out for my redhawks.

I don't think its anything new, we just communicate more about now.

Kinda like crime and terrorism. Always been there, we just hear more about these days.