PDA

View Full Version : Sizer lesson

kbstenberg
04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
OK i need some information on Lubesizing. Tonight I got my RCBS Lubesizer mounted an working. Its a used machine an its my first time useing a lubesizer. I still have to find an aluminum plate for a heater.
When sizing a bullet do you leave the bullet sit in the sizer for a second to fill any voids. Or do you immediately raise it out of the sizer?
The only other question I have pertains to a specific bullet style. I have molded up some Lyman 225646. Which has 2 groves at the bottom of the bullet that are obviously for lube. But up close to the front of the bullet there are 2 more groves which I figure are crimp groves. But since I am going to use the bullets in a 223 should I fill those groves also, just for insurance against leading.
Kevin

454PB
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
With the smaller boolit and lube grooves, the answer would be "no".

Such a small amount of lube usually fills the grooves quickly and easily. On the larger boolits, like a 500 gr. for a 45/70 with large lube grooves, it might take two "pushes" to completely fill them. That is.......push the boolit down, raise it up, then push it down again.

If the crimp grooves are seated inside the neck, it doesn't hurt anything to fill them with lube.......but it may not help either.

Bret4207
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I run my boolit down give the ratchet a very slight bit of pressure ( I don't use hard lubes) and usually that fill the the grooves. Pop it up and take a look, if more is needed then down it goes again.

Calamity Jake
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I've gone as far as rotating the boolit 45-90° then push it down again if the grooves arn't full after the first trip thru.

cajun shooter
04-19-2011, 09:45 AM
You can go to a large hardware or Lowes or similar store and purchase a piece of aluminum that is about 6x12. Not all lubes require a heater and some only need that first start in the morning and then will run the rest of the day. You may go to Wally World and buy a travel iron as they are the best to use. They are small and have good thermostats and only require a small piece to sit on. Most newcomers use too much heat for too long a period and end up with a mess. Try going slow with the heat used. The thickness of your plate should be close to 1/2 inch as a narrow piece will heat up fast and transfer that heat to your bench instead of the lube. Take Care

Char-Gar
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
1. I push the bullet down and put some pressure on the ratchet and then raise and remove the bullet. With a little practice you can get the "feel" of how much pressure on the ratchet you need.

2. I have been using Lyman machines ( I have 3 now) that are like the RCBS, for 50 years and do not have no use a heater. I have never felt the need to use lube so hard that it required heat to soften it.